Transporting a crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

KATO

Transporting a crossbow

Post by KATO »

Hi all, I have a question about transporting a crossbow. I have to do some traveling to get to where I will be hunting, however I will be doing part of my traveling on a Greyhound/GO/Canada Coach etc. and was wondering what the best way to travel with my crossbow would be? I would ideally like to not have to buy a hard case right now to store it under the bus (no telling how much it would get rattled around/mistreated, heat, etc.) and was wondering if I took it apart and stored it with me (all field points/broad heads would however be under the bus) if that would be against any laws in Ontario. Not to be insensitive but I have a feeling Greyhound might be jumpy about this sort of thing if everyone remembers why. Has anyone had to do this and what way did they go about it? If need be I will call the individual companies and find out their policy's but hoping you guys could help :) .

Thanks in advance
deerhunter0430

Re: Transporting a crossbow

Post by deerhunter0430 »

if you have a hard gun case you can take it apart and store it in that it wont get bounced around then...
2010 equinox,groundpounder,boo string.S5,100 gr grim reapers
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i took a compound bow case and use that....only need to take the two raiser bolts out and yer done....

only thing i had to do was make room for the stirrup in the handle of the case, good thing bout doing that is the limbs/riser can't move about now....

i attached a fishing box to the lid for small parts and such and an extra quiver mount to hold my quiver as well........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

If Excalibur made their bows in a take-down model it would be awesome. Push a button and the riser pops off. I've even thought about modifying mine to do just that. Nice job on adapting the case. Gary
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i would trust the two bolt method i use now over a push button type take down any day.........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

There are no "transport" laws in Ontario for a crossbow, with the exception of hunting then the typical dusk/dawn encasement laws have to be followed.
When you call around to inquire with the companies that will be transporting the bow don't accept the first answer that you get, try to get the actual policy in writing. The person on the phone is immediately going to assume the crossbow is a "firearm" and rattle off the policies accordingly.
My suggestion would be to contact each carrier and request their policy in writing and carry that information on your person. In the event that you encounter any issues with a "less than informed" employee you are prepared to counter any negative feedback that could affect your trip.
The case may not be the requirement, but it sure may save some issues with the bow, those guys doing the loading of luggage are not known for being graceful.

I found this Plano box at WallMart, on sale for $20, I bought them all. Handle is a bit bigger than Bobs and required no cutting. I doubled up on the foam too. Removing the bolts has no affect on the POI. A while back newguy was working on a quick release system, not sure what ever became of it though.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string