Phoenix and Carbon Arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowhardcases

Phoenix and Carbon Arrows

Post by xbowhardcases »

Hello,

I am shooting a Phoenix with XX75 aluminum arrows. I would like to make the switch to carbon arrows. Does anyone have a recommended configuration? I have been using spitfire mechanical broadheads at 100 gr.

Also what performance gains can I expect to see in shoot accuracy, distance etc...

thanks

Mario
Cossack

Re: Phoenix and Carbon Arrows

Post by Cossack »

My 'Firebird' thrives on a diet of Gold Tip Lazar II shafts, 110 brass insert, aluminum nock and 2" Brazers or Fusion vanes, tipped with 100 gr Slick Tricks or Spitfires. Weigh about 405 grs, +18% FOC. Fly very well. Great terminal performance. Danny Miller sells the same arrow but with 4 inch vanes.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Also what performance gains can I expect to see in shoot accuracy, distance etc...
After trying carbons a couple times I'm still shooting aluminum. :wink:
wabi
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I shoot GT Lazer II's 22" with brass insert in the front and aluminum on back 2" vanes with a 100 gr broadhead.

These come in at 420 gr total weight and they are consistent as heck.
Tenpoint Matrix
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I'm shooting the ibex...same bow as your's but with the thumbhole stock. Using the excal carbon firebolts and the excal ff string with 100gr spitfires i'm shooting 298fps...and DEADLY accurate!!!!! :D :wink:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Performance gains . . .none as far as killing things.

However, I find the carbons to be easier to maintain, thus I keep them longer. A lot longer. Unless I do something stupid, which seems to happen with regularity, they last forever.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
xbowhardcases

Post by xbowhardcases »

So by performance is there any change in arrow drop? Or distance? My Pheonix right now hovers right around 35-40 yards before I see a lot of arrow drop. I suppose this is good enough for most situations I encounter but is anyone else getting more distance? And if so what is your arrow configuration?
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

took my phoenix out today to set up broadheads, 100 grain slick tricks, for our Moose hunt in 4 weeks. Swapped out the field point for the broadhead and bang on out to 50 yards.

As far as gains:
Durability - I shoot a lot and don't have to worry about bending the shafts pulling out of targets.

I make my own arrows and just find the carbon easier to fletch.

I have also been able to achieve a better foc with the added brass front insert and still throw the arrow out at a very respectible speed.

For long shots, you should have a flatter trajectory with the lighter carbon arrow.

I would bet that if I started with aluminum I would still be shooting them. If it isn't broke, why fix it........

just my thoughts.....
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release