Best way to quiet an Excalibur?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Farmer

Re: Best way to quiet an Excalibur?

Post by Farmer »

I do not think trying to quiet down an Excal is needed . If the game we hunt is in reasonable hunting distances and relaxed there is not much chance of jumping the string . Secondly the arrow makes plenty of noise on its own as it flys along to the target . ( some make more or less depending on vane style / size or the use of feathers )

Look at the pictures in the trophy room they will attest at how well our noisy Excaliburs work ! :mrgreen: :D
Huntsman

Post by Huntsman »

Well I must say, those are some quite convincing responses. Its funny too, because I had my mind made up b4 I walked into the store and when I left empty handed I was scratching my head in confusion. I realize that by the time the deer hears and/or realizes somethings wrong its usually too late and the bolt/arrow has already passed thru him. I've also been doing quite a bit of reasearch on Excalibur crossbows and other makes and the closest I came to was the Wicked Ridge but then hummed and hawed. I like simplicity and accuracy. Obviously the dealer likes "whats new" and "whats faster".
I've made up my mind on what I'm going to get!
Thanks everyone :D
Axiom w/Excalibur stock accessories
Matrix 350 LE w/Excalibur stock accessories
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

The dealers like the brand that puts the most $$ in their pockets.

You did the right thing . . .do the research. It's confusing at times, but, it pays off.

I've yet to find a Excalibur owner that isn't happy with their Excalibur.

You get use to the noise. None of those bows are silent. The deer will hear them all.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Boo

Post by Boo »

sumner4991 wrote:The dealers like the brand that puts the most $$ in their pockets.
Ain't it the truth!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

Here's how the "conversation" between hunter & excal and the deer sounds;

Hunter sees deer, "Ywanhhh", "Hey", or whatever noise you make to stop deer.
Deer, " I just heard someth....OH CRAP" !!!!!!
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
deerhunter0430

Post by deerhunter0430 »

Sopchoppy wrote:Here's how the "conversation" between hunter & excal and the deer sounds;

Hunter sees deer, "Ywanhhh", "Hey", or whatever noise you make to stop deer.
Deer, " I just heard someth....OH CRAP" !!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: !!!
2010 equinox,groundpounder,boo string.S5,100 gr grim reapers
Tennessee Tom

Post by Tennessee Tom »

the deafest deer will hear the queitest bow of any kind
jody5050

Post by jody5050 »

Boo wrote:Add cat whiskers and a string made from either Dacron or 452X to lower noise.
i found something a little different than cat whiskers, i tried these on my vert. bow cannot believe the difference. they are called monkey tails. made/sold thru matthews. they install easily on the string, no serving, or string seperation. just tie it on.
exocet 200 easton power bolts tracer nocks 125gr magnus stingers bad river tagged-out fiber optic sight S5 system monkey tail string dampeners
Boo

Post by Boo »

Huntsman, if you want to lower the noise of your crossbow don't let anyone discourage you from doing so. Most here don't know just how much less noise you can end up with. One of the coolest things about these bows is that you can customize them and assuming reasonable expectations, the bow can be what you want. If you want some help send me an email or call me.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
fredbeer

Post by fredbeer »

I haven't heard a quiet crossbow. Yes some are louder than others. IMHO, don't worry about noise. If a deer is not alert or spooked, it will never know what hit it. For a good conversation about noise call Danny Miller. He is the US certified factory repair for Excal. If you can't find his # do a search.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

OK ok lets review hearing 101 from yer game animals, 1st up is
Next up, as you can see i can put several truck loads of these super hearing critters. They're no matc fer Excals CB's
ImageImage
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

There are several things you can do to reduce noise/vibration. I include vibration because I feel it's a big part of the noise the shooter senses.

If the bow vibrates a lot it seems louder to me. I tried minimum weight arrows and a fastflight string when I first got my Phoenix and it seemed like it was way louder than my old Exocet. Had a friend shoot it while I was in front (and off to the side behind a tree) and it didn't seem nearly as loud. :roll:

Tried several things to dampen the sound. Experimented with arrow weight, STS string dampers, different string materials, Dbs on & off, etc.

I now hunt with it using 375gr arrows (25gr over minimum) and a Boo string with catwhiskers. No STS or S5 dampers and no DBs on it. Not saying they don't help, just saying I don't see the need for them for my comfort level of perceived noise.

Get an Excalibur (you won't regret it :wink: ), experiment with a few methods of reducing noise if you're uncomfortable with the noise level, shoot it a lot, and you'll soon be so impressed with the accuracy you'll be watching the "robin hoods" and forgetting the noise. :lol: :lol:

As for hunting deer, I've always kept shots under 30 yards and over the years only had one deer "jump the string". In hindsight (always 20/20) I believe that deer was looking at me and reacted to the flash of the limbs moving forward as I shot instead of the noise. At least it was a clean miss. :oops:
All my kills have been under 30 yards (most under 20, and several under 10) and I have never seen one move until the arrow hit. (Except that one that was looking at me, and it taught me a valuable lesson - light travels much faster than sound).

A few years back I did have one that decided to take a step as I was pulling the trigger and it was too late for me to stop, but that's another tale and I'll skip the details on for now. :roll: - 7 yard shot and it was so close I didn't notice it was about to move because I was looking through the scope. I did recover it, but lost the meat to heat & varmints. :(
wabi
Hallaketrout

Post by Hallaketrout »

I think that deer can and will hear everything that is unatural in the bush. They can hear a saftey coming off unless it is absolutely silent. or the click of a trigger.
If deer are jumpy or on edge they will get spooked by any noise. I had a deer jump one time because my rifle strap made a slight leather creak noise. Another time I had a doe and 2 fawns watch me get off a 4wheeler, walk to a blind, and load a rifle( clip in and rack the bolt ) they stayed around for about 1/2 hour . Too bad they didn't draw in a buck.
One time I had 2 deer come out, shot the 6 point with a 30-06, fired 2 more shots as a signal to my buddies, and the 2nd deer ( a doe ) was still standing there watching me!
I guess my point is sometimes noise doesn't seem to bother deer at all, and other times they are real jumpy.
In my experience I have found that sight and smell are a deers primary defence and sound, not so much.
You are only Young Once but have the rest of your life to be Immature!

Hunting
Kayak Fishing
Fly Fishing
Trap Shooting
30-06
And now Exocet 200/Lumi-zone
muskyman454

Post by muskyman454 »

i didn't like the vibration so i put some yarn om my string and a set of s5's problem solved. :D