Getting set up with a new Crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rayman

Getting set up with a new Crossbow

Post by rayman »

They finally made crossbows legal for bow season in my state but there is not anywhere close (that I care to go) to look at crossbows and not many locals to ask for advice because very few people have them. I take my deer hunting more serious than most and don't want to start out with something just to wish I had spent a couple hundred more $ and got something different. I want equipment that will be dependable, consistent, and low maintenance. (1) I have mostly decided on an Axiom, but was just looking for commentary. (2) What is the best type of scope, and what are the most recommended broadheads for crossbow hunting (most targets will be deer and wild hogs from 80 to 200 lbs)? (3) Any other info would be helpful. Thanks for any advice.
liketoshoot

Re: Getting set up with a new Crossbow

Post by liketoshoot »

first off...welcome to the forum!

I chose the pheonix and I put a parker pin point scope on it. I currently am using slick tricks mags and they shoot great. I really like that set-up. I have some spitfires as well.

One thing for sure is your going to get a quality low maint bow with an excalibur..

It has been posted that the 175lb models will harvest anything in North America

Some like the 150lb models... some like the 225 pounders...

Just keep reading the forum and asking questions...
shoot more and shoot more often
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

The Axiom comes with a scope in the package start with that and I think you will be set for the upcoming season.
Some people use regular rifle scopes.
I use the Varizone on my Phoenix and am quite happy with the performance.

All the best with your new bow which ever you decide on.

Excalibur is the best for accuracy and serviceability in the field.IMO
Lifetime warranty is also a great thing to have on any piece of equipment.
Tenpoint Matrix
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!!!! :D
The axiom is a great choice...more than capable to harvest the game you mentioned. As for scopes the one that comes with the bow is able to do the job...but if you want to upgrade check out the new shadowzone, that will be my next purchase.
When it come's to the topic of broadheads you will probably get a dozen different answers. I will say that i'm hunting the same critter's as you here in georgia. I use spitfire's 100 and 125gr. Took two deer and two hogs last year...biggest hog weighed 142lbs, only went 50yds after the shot!!
Good Luck
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum.

The Axiom is a fine crossbow that will serve you just fine. The scope that comes with it will do the trick also and you can upgrade later if you feel a need to. As for broadheads there's ton's of good ones out there. I personally am a big fan of Rage broadheads and I've had great results with them.

Happy hunting and safe shooting. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

j.krug wrote:I personally am a big fan of Rage broadheads and I've had great results with them.
Have you tried the crossbow ones (orange) and do they fly like field points?
rod

Post by rod »

i just got the axiom kit , loving it am useing gold tip bolts with luma nocks 150 fixed boltcutters, shot great all the way to 50yds, but excal is the way to go, got mine from ebay , good luck
new2xbow

Post by new2xbow »

Rayman, where are you located? If we know where you are we may be able to get you together with a member or 2 to try your hand at a few targets.

And BTW i have the Axiom SMF kit, love the way it camei I will be hunting stock with the stuff that is included and Xact broadheads, Cant argue with a broadhead made for your brand crossbow.

I may upgrade later but that is just so i can hand this one down when the time comes.

In the mean time i will probably move to a boo string and big john arrows after dear season to do some hog hunting and then spring turkey next year.
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

http://www.NCGunRights.com - "Gun laws only limit the law abiding!"
new2xbow

Post by new2xbow »

ERP... told a fib, i added S5, and tht was just to keep the vibrations from aggravating carpal tunnel.
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

http://www.NCGunRights.com - "Gun laws only limit the law abiding!"
rayman

Post by rayman »

Thanks a bunch for all the input. Great forum to nose around in. Have seen almost no reviews less than 5 stars for any Excalibur product on any website, which says a lot. Must be my kind of outfit.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Xbowkiller wrote:
j.krug wrote:I personally am a big fan of Rage broadheads and I've had great results with them.
Have you tried the crossbow ones (orange) and do they fly like field points?
I will be hunting this fall with the Rage 125 gr Crossbow Broadhead. I haven't shot them yet but they are the same design as the other Rage heads but with a 1.75" cut so I'm confident they will be as good as the other Rage broadheads.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
jeshoffstall

Post by jeshoffstall »

Just sighted in with the 125 gr Rage "crossbow" heads today. Holy smokes they shoot to the same POI as 125 field points and grouped tighter (used the same arrow over with the same vane down for consistancy. Off a solid rest and sand bags I can put both the field points and the rage practice head in a 1" orange dot or cut the edges consistantly at 40 yards. Seems the more I shoot the vortex the smoother the trigger gets and the more consistant the bow shoots.

I also noticed I picked up speed going from 150 to 125 as I had to move my speed ring up to get on at 40 and the arrows are sinking a couple of inches deeper into the block target!

Hope to see how they work on a deer this Friday!! :D
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Sounds like great results there jeshoffstall.
Good to hear they shoot so well. :)

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads