Shooting tips

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RobB

Shooting tips

Post by RobB »

I finally got a chance to get out and sight in my crossbow. I've never shot a crossbow before so I did as much research as possible. I set up my target at 20 yrds and had my bow on a rest to provide more stability. After I was dailed in I started shooting, but noticed the arrows were not hitting the target as consistently as I would've like them to. I had a 25km/hr wind at my back in an open field would that make much of a difference at 20 yrds? I was getting the arrows within a 5" circle at 20yrds, but I'd like to tighten that up a bit. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. BTW the sound of that arrow leaving my Axiom is like crack....I love it!!

Thanks in Advance.
Rob
vixenmaster

Re: Shooting tips

Post by vixenmaster »

Even with wind at the 20 yd target you should be getting 1 1/2" groups off a rest. Yer using a rope cocker ? Make sure there isn't any runout on yer arrows
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
RobB

Post by RobB »

Yikes 1 1/2"!! I am using the rope cocking aid so that is out of the question. I'm a newbie when it comes to crossbows - could you explain what a run out is? I think I need to controll my breathing and squeeeeeeeze the trigger as opposed to slapping it. I have been a shotgun hunter for the last 15 yrs.

Rob
shaftthrower

Post by shaftthrower »

Run-out . Make sure your arrow spins true (no wobble)
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

cock the machine... load your arrow... place safety on...
try and pull the trigger until it stops. what you just did was unload your creep and other movement you might have. when you are ready to shoot, place safety in off position. aim.....
and just lightly pull the trigger :shock: :shock:
any difference ??? :wink:
this helps with many different crossbow triggers.
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
littlekitch

Post by littlekitch »

just make the shot.the best advice i ever got was this.don't over think about your accuracy because you will be pulling your head up.just like they say in golf keep your head down.weather it's practising or harvesting a deer once you commit to shooting just relax and do it.you'll be surpprised at the consistancy of your shots.make sure your stock is pinned on your cheek the same every time.KITCH
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

RobB wrote:Yikes 1 1/2"!! I am using the rope cocking aid so that is out of the question. I'm a newbie when it comes to crossbows - could you explain what a run out is? I think I need to controll my breathing and squeeeeeeeze the trigger as opposed to slapping it. I have been a shotgun hunter for the last 15 yrs.

Rob
Make sure everything is tight on your crossbow; stock/limb/riser screws, scope, base, etc. If you are shooting factory arrows with field points, there's not much left that can go wrong.

Try shooting some groups with a .22 rifle and see how they compare. As you've indicated, you might be a little rusty.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
RobB

Post by RobB »

Just a little update.

I had the bow out today again and was getting 2" groups at 20yrds, which is a huge improvement from 5" groups and inconsistency. I took my time to make sure I was squeezing the trigger and seated comfortably - seemed to work.

On a side note has anyone had any issues with their firebolts in terms of the splitting? It seems as though the first layer of graphite has separated away from the rest of the arrow on a thin 1/8" strip. The arrow has only been shot less than 10 times into styrofoam. Is this a defect, should I be contacting Excal to find out?

thanks again
Rob
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

If you think it's a defect then call Excalibur.

Remember to keep that thumb tucked down while shooting from a rest!! Don't make me show you pictures of what happens when ya don't!!! :lol:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
RobB

Post by RobB »

Scott - I found that while shooting on the rest I was less accurate. I was shooting standing up and kneeling down. Seemed to work just fine.

I'm always doubling checking to make sure my fingers are clear of the rail. I love gross pictures...post'em up! :lol:

Rob
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

What did you use for a rest?
"Eze 18:21"
Hallaketrout

Post by Hallaketrout »

RobB wrote:Yikes 1 1/2"!! I am using the rope cocking aid so that is out of the question. I'm a newbie when it comes to crossbows - could you explain what a run out is? I think I need to controll my breathing and squeeeeeeeze the trigger as opposed to slapping it. I have been a shotgun hunter for the last 15 yrs.

Rob
Yes, I have been a shotgun hunter and trap shooter for too many years, which tends to make us pull the trigger for that fast shot. When I have a crossbow or rifle in my hands I have to concisouly think Squeeeeeeze the trigger, so I don't pull the shot. But I have also found trap shooting is very helpful for all forms of hunting, it speeds up your target aquisiton.
You are only Young Once but have the rest of your life to be Immature!

Hunting
Kayak Fishing
Fly Fishing
Trap Shooting
30-06
And now Exocet 200/Lumi-zone
RobB

Post by RobB »

Awshucks - the first day i was using an upside down recycling bin, the second day I used a wooden A-frame stand that we rest our boat trailer on...very sturdy. I think it may have been my positioning while using a rest. I went out thursday and was much happier with my results. I shot standing and kneeling down at 20 yrds, with 2" groups. I kept telling myself to squeeze the trigger and it seemed to work. I think I just needed to get used to shooting a crossbow and getting used to balancing it, as opposed to a shotgun which is differently balanced. I'll be out again tomorrow shooting from 30 yrds.

I did take a few 30 yrd shots, but found that they were a little low (3-4 ") even though I had it at the 30 yrd mark on the scope. The bow is sighted in dead on at 20 yrds. I'll give it another crack tomorrow and see if the results are the same.

practise, practise, practise...only a few weeks till opening day.

Rob