5 common stages of hunting ...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

5 common stages of hunting ...

Post by R.J. »

I'm sure this has been posted before , and it definately has been written about many times in many different hunting magazines etc.

But it is a good read / reflection ...

For me , I have to agree with part of the last section ...
" Satisfaction now can be found in the total hunting experience. Being in the field, enjoying the company of friends and family, and seeing nature . "
SHOOTER STAGE
The hunter talks about satisfaction with hunting being closely tied to being able to “get shooting.” Often the beginning duck hunter will relate he had an excellent day if he got in a lot of shooting. The beginning deer hunter will talk about the number of shooting opportunities. Missing game means little to hunters in this phase. A beginning hunter wants to pull the trigger and test the capability of his firearm.

LIMITING OUT STAGE
A hunter still talks about satisfaction gained from shooting. But what seems more important is measuring success through the killing of game and the number of birds or animals shot. Limiting out, or filling a tag, is the absolute measure.
TROPHY STAGE
Satisfaction is described in terms of selectivity of game. A duck hunter might take only greenheads. A deer hunter looks for one special deer. A hunter might travel far to find a real trophy animal.

METHOD STAGE
This hunter has all the special equipment. Hunting has become one of the most important things in his life. Satisfaction comes from the method that enables the hunter to take game. Taking game is important, but second to how it is taken. This hunter will study long and hard how best to pick a blind site, lay out decoys, and call in waterfowl. A deer hunter will go one on one with a white-tailed deer, studying sign, tracking, and the life habits of the deer. Often, the hunter will handicap himself by hunting only with black powder firearms or bow and arrow.

SPORTSMAN STAGE
As a hunter ages and after many years of hunting, he “mellows out.” Satisfaction now can be found in the total hunting experience. Being in the field, enjoying the company of friends and family, and seeing nature outweigh the need for taking game. Not all hunters go through all the stages, or go through them in that particular order. It is also possible for hunters who pursue several species of game to be in different stages with regard to each species. Some hunters feel that role models of good sportsmen, training, or reading books or magazines helped them pass more quickly through some stages.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
masboy

Re: 5 common stages of hunting ...

Post by masboy »

Never seen that before right on target am now in stage 5 what's next death!!!
vh64

Post by vh64 »

I was in stage 5 for a few years to the point I wouldn't shoot anything unless it was huge not because it was huge just because it was enough to be out and see deer and also at that time I met a new friend that had never shot a buck with his compound so I concentrated on him and helping him fulfill his dream was exciting to me,I guess I was hunting through him you might say. Then after he was successful I felt I was ready for stage three or four again. Now that Im going to start crossbow hunting this year I feel like I'm in the earlier stages all over again. I like the feeling.
Love my VORTEX !!!!!
new2xbow

Post by new2xbow »

That is actually part of the hunter education here in NC. they forgot one though, it is the stage that i have been in some time now and don't foresee leaving it anytime soon, "THE YUMMY STAGE" i guess it could be a combintaion of the limiting out, trophy, and the sportsman. Becasue i am contstantly trying to tag out on choice deer and share the experience and tastiness of it with others!!! :D

In all reality though i think i moved rather quickly through the tag out and shooting stages. and am now in more of the sportsman stage. My goal honestly is to enjoy nature, share it with others and the reward of knowing that the meat in the freezer was put there by ME!
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

http://www.NCGunRights.com - "Gun laws only limit the law abiding!"
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i'd have to say i started in stage 4 "method stage" ....not to the letter so much what was said in that stage, but that i started out archery only....then added flintlock to my archery gear and out of the 56 deer to date from 1982 only 5 or 6 have been by centerfire rifles, heck i sold all my centerfire rifle years ago in the early 90's....i have always been a stage 5 hunter as i have always enjoyed just being out in the fresh air :wink: ....trophy stage? every deer/animal i have taken has been a trophy to me, antlers are only good for stirring his stew :lol: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I think I go through all the stages every hunting season. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I'm still in the shooter stage , testing the limits of my weapon. . . , but, my body keeps telling me to move on to stage 5 . . .I'll keep refusing until I die.
Last edited by sumner4991 on Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

I went through all the stages and I am stuck on stage four and holding off on or am in denial on stage five. Just think hunting all the time. obessed would be me. I talked my doctor into increasing my steroids for the hunting season so I could do it and enjoy it more. HOWS THAT for tunnel vision. :lol: :lol: :lol: The wife just rolls her eyes. She knows its a lost cause. :wink:
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

wabi wrote:I think I go through all the stages every hunting season. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Glad I'm not the only one wabi!! :lol: :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

uh oh..I think most of the time i,m still in stage two after 45 yrs of deer huntin :shock:..with all the grandkids liking to eat deer and a 7 deer limit..but I totally enjoy the hunt and that is never lost :D
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

At 47 years old I've been through all the stages. I now rest comfortably in stage five. I've taken lots of deer, but my time in the woods is more rewarding! Cant say that I lost the urge to kill, but its not as important to me now. My prey has an uphill battle every day and just to get close and observe them is a blessing. I am a little more selective in my older years, but will still pull the trigger when I think the time is right! Gonna have to bring somthing home once in awhile just to keep my wife happy :wink:
Crispy