Poll: The Type of String I Use -Edited

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

The reason I use the String I do is because:

Endless Loop Dacron: I like the extra flex and softer sound, and willing to sacrifice some speed.
10%
Endless Loop Dacron: I'm a Newbie afraid of Dryfiring, otherwise I'd use a fastflight or custom string.
7%
Factory Fastflight Flemish: I need the speed, but not the premium price of a custom string.
22%
Custom Flemish: I can't afford it, but if I could I would.
7%
Custom Flemish: Nothing but the best for me, price is not a deterrent.
54%

Total votes: 41

ComfyBear

Poll: The Type of String I Use -Edited

Post by ComfyBear »

I'm just curious to know what folk's ideas are on the strings currently available for crossbows.

For this poll, you can only choose one option, so if you have more than one, please elaborate by posting.

What is it about the string(s) you use you use and why do you use them? What qualities are important to you, is it their price, durability, that they are readily available and easy to acquire, or any other reason.

Edit: I added another option for those who don't have the funds, but if they did they would get a custom string

Oops, my edit deleted the poll results....So please let's start again.
Last edited by ComfyBear on Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
theoldarcher

Re: Poll: The Type of String I Use

Post by theoldarcher »

I find it kind of difficult to answer the poll with one answer because of this reasoning; I have owned an Excalibur crossbow of some sort or fashion for 4 years now. During that time I have always shot the Flemish string from Excalibur. Milking that extra speed that the crossbow is capable of always made me feel a little better. I have never been able to afford for one reason or another to buy a custom string.
This year however, due to God smiling down on me and a great forum member, I was fortunate enough to get in my possession a Boo String. The differences between the two strings are like night and day. The Boo String is faster than the factory Flemish String and seems to be more durable. I know that I can really tell the difference between the times it takes for the arrow to reach the target.
With that said I have to say if you can afford to pay that little extra for a Quality string then by all means do so. If it hadn’t been for a very fortuitous circumstance, I would have been still shooting the factory Flemish string.
So because of the wording on the poll “Nothing but the best for me, price is not a deterrent.” I would have to say the Flemish string, because otherwise I would not have been able to afford at this time to have changed. I will say that from now on, I will find someway to finance a new Boo string when and if this one ever wares out.
ComfyBear

Re: Poll: The Type of String I Use -Edited

Post by ComfyBear »

Good post OA, thanks for the info. I added another option for guys who would if they could afford a custom string.

For the rest of you folks, when you vote, it would be appreciated if you also post your thoughts.

Thanks
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

wayne

Post by wayne »

Right now we use strings that are EZ to get (excal's strings) I like a back-up for the back-up string :lol: ...... but would like to go to Boo strings soon.

The wifes ibex is using the stock excal "excel" string, I have not put the dyna-flight on her bow yet, because, twice now I've stoped her from shooting her bow with no arrow on he rail :shock: last time was just 2 days ago. she's a few years younger then I, but I'am think her CRS is more advanced then mine :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On my vortex, I've used the flemish dyna-flight from excal since 1 week after buying the bow, so far been lucky, in keeping my CRS in check while shooting :lol: so far I've always have had a arrow on the rail when shooting :D But I also know from reading posts on this forum....it's only a matter of time, before my luck runs out :lol:

Boo strings will be in the future, but right now the excal string ez to get my hands on :D
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

i punched the factory ff flemish but i use the excal flemish super string, i think it,s dacron..my plans are to get a Boo string but at this stage i don,t think i can get it for a few months, so i plan to order in early spring..considering the price of b/h,s...bows and everything the custom string is priced about right...just go to town with 50.00$ and see how far it goes :shock:
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Not one answer. Sons Vixen II has factory endless loop on it that came on it.My carved tip Exocet has a factory dacron flemish string on it. My Exomax has a Boo string with cat whiskers on it. So I pretty much got 'em covered.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I voted "custom price is not a deterrent", but I actually feel the custom string can be a money saver over factory strings.

I did good to get a couple hundred shots out of a factory string or one of my own manufacture. I finally tried a Boo string several years ago, and I actually still have that first string and it's still "shootable"! Worn, yes. But I keep it as a backup and wouldn't be the least bit worried if I had to use it. Didn't keep count of actual shots, but most of my own strings and/or factory strings were maybe good for one season of hunting if I carefully maintain them. That Boo string went two full seasons and as I said is still good enough I wouldn't be afraid to use it.
Even if it's only double the life, it's still cheaper in the end. One season at $29. for a factory string or two seasons (plus) for a Boo string at $35. (comparing the basic "fastflight" strings at current prices).
It's not the material the string is made of, it's the unbelievable life expectancy of the serving that keeps me buying Boo strings. :lol:
wabi
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

Endless Loop Dacron. That all I need. Keep it simple because what is a couple fps to gain. Wanted to gain that I would have bought a bigger bow.
masboy

Post by masboy »

I,m shooting the excel endless loop just waiting for that dryfire.been over a year and not yet.very accurate but serving comes apart very quickly on end loops.streches a lot at first but not too bad after that.they don,t seem too last very long and I wax it about every 30 shots for serving and 60 shots for end loops .I have a wall full of ones that end serving coming apart.hope too get a custom string soon and compare.
da7703

Post by da7703 »

I didn't vote because an option didn't cover me. I have no fear of dry firing at this point, but still a rookie I don't see any reason to go all out yet. Besides...it'll be until next hunting season that I could use a Boo anyway...

I'm using Danny's Super String..the Dracon flemish. I separated the serving on the excel, so I ordered the SS on Boo's advice. I separated that serving, so I ordered another SS. My thinking being that I now have two identical strings, so switching to a backup should not require any change to the scope.

Boys at work built me a serving jig ala Boo's instructions. Just got it on Friday, so I'll be testing it out shortly. The new SS string looks like the serving is going to be weak, so I better get that back up ready.

I'm lucky to hunt a State Park 1 mile from work, so weekday morning hunting begins Oct 3rd for either. I put in for 2 doe tags thus far, and I'm hoping to fill all 3 tags (buck comes with license). Starting to get a bit itchy...
Deer & beer...that's why arrows and Hop Devil were made.
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

2011 vortex.. boo string
exomax ...FFF
exocet...FFF

worlds of difference between boo and fff

next summer i will have boo's on both the others :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I didn't vote! Reason is i like all the strings, each has its Pro's n Con's. I seldom use the Excel factory string, its in the ziplock bag still new unused. I do use the older dacron Eloop & Flemish& the newer FFF strings along with a few Boo strings that he donated to the needy,me!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

I too was shooting the factory Flemish string. When I finally decided I had heard enough talk about how great Boo's strings were, so I ordered two, just in case the hype was for real.

There is a noted difference between Boo's string and the factory flemish. Allow me put it another way. Boo strings are all I will ever use from here on.
I'm not saying other string makers are not good or great. But I think I made the best choice going with the Boo strings. They are amazing.

I live to hunt, so I do without lifes other little things to have these types of gear. Its not a snob thing, its just a passion.
In the Wind.......
vh64

Post by vh64 »

I just got into crossbows and I love it, it's my only hobby now. Shooting a lot is what I enjoy as well as hunting as much as I can working 60- 70 hours a week. I use the JBK custom strings that David sells because they work great and I can get as many as I want in a couple days. I like the extra speed because I like heavier arrows and still want the extra thump at 40-45 yards if I can have it. I want 5-6 strings on hand so I don't have to re-serve until the off season when I don't have as much going on ...maybe more strings if I need them. So my answer is I want the best string no matter the cost but it has to be available on demand.
Love my VORTEX !!!!!
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Very interesting poll! If any other folks have anything else to add, please do.
Thanks guys.

Just one more request. Could the 5 folks who voted as "Newbies" (2) and "If I could I would" (3), please PM me.
I need to ask you something.
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings