Scent eliminating sprays... Do they work?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

See4miles

Re: Scent eliminating sprays... Do they work?

Post by See4miles »

I know the indians used to smoke their clothes before big hunts. How do you feel this works for you? I have an old friend who does the old traditional stick-bow stuff and primative weapons and he and his group of guys do this as well.
In the Wind.......
masboy

Post by masboy »

I tryed some years ago but always got busted by down
Wind deer except when hunting real high but don ,t climb that high any more now just today washed all hunting things in baking soda and put in tub with my rubber boots and ceader branches and play the wind .
jody5050

Post by jody5050 »

well, speaking from experience and my opinion, for what it's worth. there is NOTHING that will completely eliminate a foreign/human scent to a deer (or any wild animal) i have used scent shield fo many years, tried others, but s-s seems to work best. you, and your hunting clothes must be as clean as possible. even if you cannot wash your clothes soak them down good with spray and leave outside to air out and dry, clothes should always be hung out if possible. all in all scent spray "reduces" your smell. however, the best scent is no scent. which is virtually impossible... good luck and good hunting!
exocet 200 easton power bolts tracer nocks 125gr magnus stingers bad river tagged-out fiber optic sight S5 system monkey tail string dampeners
jody5050

Post by jody5050 »

scent smoker good idea...
exocet 200 easton power bolts tracer nocks 125gr magnus stingers bad river tagged-out fiber optic sight S5 system monkey tail string dampeners
vh64

Post by vh64 »

I believe everyone agrees that you can't eliminate your scent but the thing is you really don't know how many times scent dullers have helped you out. I have seen times I believed it did. I know if it helps me kill one deer I'll use it every time, I'm all for every tiny advantage I can have. Stop and think about it do you really know if the deer you just shot while using it would have been there or sneaking off somewhere, I guess we don't try to really know because there's another deer that came in down wind that we just shot. If you don't use it I'd imagine you won't see those few deer that would have came in and maybe the one you really wanted.
Love my VORTEX !!!!!
wabi

Post by wabi »

automated11 wrote:Well not sure if anyone has heard of it but I use the scent smoker, basically its a behive smoker and you use wood chips in it to develop the smoke. I typically use hickory or mescuite because they are easily found at the local stores. Anyway I use it on everything I have before the hunt. Soon as i get to my parking spot I light it up with a propane torch and smoke everything I have, bow, camo, myself, boots. I have yet to be scented by a deer after 3 years of using it. I hunt areas I never could before that have swirling winds and would always get busted before. The theory behind the smoke is that smoke is basically active carbon and absorbs other scents that it comes in contact with. Also it kills bacteria that produce odor. I swear by the thing and wouldnt hunt anywhere without one. You dont need to buy the name brand scent smoker just get yourself a behive smoker. The other weird thing is sometimes deer come looking for you. They have no idea what the smell of the smoke is and are inquisitive. I have never had them be scared of it. Hope this helps you guys it has helped me tremendously!
Don't have a smoker specifically for doing the clothes, but I do hang my clothes in my shop where smoke from the wood stove saturates them. Also when I smoke a load of meat in my electric "smokehouse" I often set it up inside the shop with an exhaust fan to carry most of the smoke outdoors, but it still smokes everything in the building. :roll:

I may try the smoker just before season this fall!

I could make a small batch of summer sausage just so I can smoke my hunting clothes, then see if anyone will eat the summer sausage when I done.
Might even get hungry myself, while I'm setting in the stand smelling the clothes I'm wearing. :lol: :lol:
wabi
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I like the idea of scenting the clothes with smoke before hunting. If I can come up with a way to do it I might give it a try this year.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads