Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Onetimeonly x-->

I don't get it?

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Everytime I'm in a sporting goods store loooking for
something new or something I might need. I'll strike
up a conversation with someone about what they are
shooting? Most of the time they shoot a compound
bow. Then I'll ask them what do they think about Xbows?
Nine times out of ten they think it's cheating? I'm thinking
to myself, how is that cheating or unethical? Then I'll
asked them, what is it that they are trying to achieve when
their hunting ? Most reply to take a deer. And I'll reply
so am I and in Michigan they allow us to use a Xbow, it's legal.
The tone of the conversation has now changed! I'm thinking
to myself why don't you throw a ****ing stick or a rock at it if
you feel that way! That's how it was done many many moons ago!
Times are changing Xbows are in!!!!
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
GaryM

Re: I don't get it?

Post by GaryM »

HaHa! I know what you mean. If every state in the US suddenly allowed crossbow use for everyone, PSE, Mathews, and many of the others would go out of business...and Excalibur would have to build a new factory. So much for cheating. :wink: Gary
novacam

Post by novacam »

Frustrating eh? We both shoot arrows at animals at short range! We both use the same tactics but as you said 9/10 we are unethical. Lack of education about what xbows really are maybe? I wonder what traditional bow hunters thought of compounds when they first came on the scene...
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

I know what you mean .I was just out west and a guy camping next to me came over with his young son ,saw what I was hunting with and told his son that I was [cheating] I then saw he had a single cam bow, rangefinder on his sight and a trigger release. The next day he told me he missed one at 68 yards! And I thought I was pushing it at 40. I guess I shouldn't cheat.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
masboy

Post by masboy »

I think the word crossbow and that rifle lookin stock puts fear in people with a lot mis information.maybe we should put a stick on to replace the stock and call it a flat bow . A lot of people hey Joe some just got a crossbow and he can kill deer at 80yds with that thing and people are spreading that kind of thing.a lot of bowhunters that I talk too are just plain jealous and say you my as well be using a rifle shooting that thing.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Proper decorum prohibits the full line, but the last half is "and feed 'em fish heads"
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

They cant do what we do and thats "WE STAY COCKED" :lol:
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I hear what your saying but I think it is starting to change quickly as crossbows become more main stream. Right now I think there are more people opening up to crossbow use but aren't quite ready to publicly admit it for fear of being put down by the nay sayers. The times they are a changin'!! :)

Right now I don't give a rat's a$$ what other folks think....Jimmy's going huntin' and he's bringing the Excal with him!! :wink:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

awshucks wrote:Proper decorum prohibits the full line, but the last half is "and feed 'em fish heads"
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
now ya talk'n shucks......... :D thats tha way i feel bout this "cheat'n stuff"
sum them verticle bow hunters here in tha south think that us +bow users can get easily over 60-80 yrd kills !!! :lol: :lol:
a seasoned string hunter of any kind would not go that distance... as i know of !! maybe there out there. but i doubt the kinda bow we shoot, ain't right that far.... no !!!
i jus tell'um......you shoot what you want, and i'll do tha same !!!
i don't need adult supervision and as far as i'm concerned... really don't givadam what ya say.
so cram them fish heads and feel abused, cuz you have been !!!!!!!!!!!! :D :lol: :wink: :mrgreen:
:lol: 8)
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
Wildlife Control

Post by Wildlife Control »

40 yards is 40 yards compound bow or crossbow. It's up to the hunter which one they pick.....The guys that complain are the same guys that will grab their rifles in a few weeks for rifle season while some of us hunt exclusively with a crossbow all season long even when modern firearms are allowed. They are the ones that don't get it.
Florida Nuisance Wildlife Trapper

Excalibur Equinox
Easton Firebolts Brass Inserts
NAP Spitfires

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's MUCH more important than that.
birddog10

Post by birddog10 »

Who cares? I want deer in my freezer and the time to spend in the woods, scouting, sitting in a tree, hanging out with my son, watching the geese fly by, watching a sunset, etc. It's not a "game" that I can "cheat" at. It's a lifestyle.
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

Most of the bowhunter’s I know argue that it is an unfair advantage to fire the bow from the shoulder; it constitutes a rifle like weapon that they feel is out of place in bow season. But let’s look at the modern day compound bow for just a minute. With peep sights, bow sights, scopes and red dots that can and are added to a vertical bow and not too mention the little aid that holds the vertical bow in a drawn position now days, the modern day compound bow basically fits the same profile of a gun as well. A compound bow with sights is just like a military weapon with combat sights. Place the pin in the middle of a circle and that’s where the arrow will hit.

They also argue that “using a crossbow doesn’t let you learn the discipline of shooting a bow”. It has nothing to do with learning the discipline of shooting a bow. They simply think that more hunters are going to be in the woods in direct competition with them for the deer. With sights and a peep, a novice person who has never shot a vertical bow before in their life could be hitting a 2 inch dot at 30 yards in a single session.

Personally, I think that if they insist on people who choose to hunt with a crossbow not being allowed to hunt with them during archery season, then we should just get back to the basics of bow hunting altogether and insist that bow sights, peeps, red dots and scopes be banned from archery equipment and go back to hunting bare bow. I wouldn’t have a problem doing this… as I grew up and continued to hunt bare bow until I switched over to crossbows 4 years ago.

I dare say that 80 percent of the “bowhunter’s” would be able to hit the broadside of a bull’s arze at 20 yards without their sights. I guarantee that if that happened, and they had to go back to the basics of shooting without some sort of a sighting aid, they wouldn’t have much time to complain about crossbows anymore. They would be to busy cussing and ranting about how they were denied their sights and how unfair it is to make them hunt that way. In the words of Rodney King after his incident with the police and during an interview afterwards “can’t we all just get along”. :lol: :wink:
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

theoldarcher wrote:Personally, I think that if they insist on people who choose to hunt with a crossbow not being allowed to hunt with them during archery season, then
we
should just get back to the basics of bow hunting altogether and insist that bow sights, peeps, red dots and scopes be banned from archery equipment and go back to hunting bare bow.
Um, you can change that "WE" to "I". I'm not going backwards. :wink: Gary
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

GaryM wrote:
theoldarcher wrote:Personally, I think that if they insist on people who choose to hunt with a crossbow not being allowed to hunt with them during archery season, then
we
should just get back to the basics of bow hunting altogether and insist that bow sights, peeps, red dots and scopes be banned from archery equipment and go back to hunting bare bow.
Um, you can change that "WE" to "I". I'm not going backwards. :wink: Gary
I totally understand. :oops: :) I was just trying to make a point. If vertical hunters grip about crossbow hunters then level the playing field. Of course it would never come to that; they would stop their gripping before they gave up their sights. :lol:
Hallaketrout

Post by Hallaketrout »

Which is more ethical? Flinging an arrow at the side of a deer at 40 yds, or a pinpoint location of the vitals with a scope and Excalibur? ( or rifle)
95% of the deer I have shot are 1 shot kills, and (touch wood ) I have never lost a deer.
You are only Young Once but have the rest of your life to be Immature!

Hunting
Kayak Fishing
Fly Fishing
Trap Shooting
30-06
And now Exocet 200/Lumi-zone