Croosbow Practice and Sighting in ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gtonini

Croosbow Practice and Sighting in ?

Post by gtonini »

Hi

I have a question when you guys and gals practice or sight in your crossbow do you do it freehand or off a steady rest is so what type? Thanks for putting up with the dumb questions.

Gary
Rev X
Boo String
Rev X arrows
Swacker 150 grain
3x9 leuopold scope
vixenmaster

Re: Croosbow Practice and Sighting in ?

Post by vixenmaster »

I sight-in off a set of saw-horses with plywood on top & sand bags fer solid support. Then off n on rest of yr i shoot offhand too keep myself in good hunting practice shape
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
novacam

Post by novacam »

Rest to dial in and once that was done I practice from every angle and position. Never know what shot will present itself.
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

I sight in off sand bags ,I practice buy laying out 3 small gunny sacks I stuffed with rags they are about the size 10# bag of flour . Then I [stalk them ] range them and shoot from all type of positions. it looks dumb but thats how I did it with v-bow for 38 years.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I sight in shooting off a rest or bipod attached to the stock and practice freehand for hunting. Ocassionally I will check useing a rest to be sure I'm still shooting zero.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

G'DAY I LIKE THESE TO SIGHT IN WITH. & THEN THE REST IS UP TO YOU...ALSO THEY ARE CHEAP FROM OVER YOUR WAY. FRANK
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
rayman

Post by rayman »

Very good question. I sighted in my xbow the same way I do a rifle - a 50 lb bag of feed on the hood of the truck. Have tried numerous methods and like that the best. Also, my stands all have a bar to rest a rifle or xbow on. :wink:
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

rayman wrote:Very good question. I sighted in my xbow the same way I do a rifle - a 50 lb bag of feed on the hood of the truck. Have tried numerous methods and like that the best. Also, my stands all have a bar to rest a rifle or xbow on. :wink:
In wi. that would earn you a ticket. You can not shoot off a vehicle or rest a firearm against a vehicle. The 50 LB. feed bag is OK. :D The DNR in are state has pretty much screwed most everything connected with deer. :evil:
rayman

Post by rayman »

That's pretty rough if you can't even sight in your rifle while resting it on the truck. In my state, your not supposed to shoot at animals from a public road or from a vehicle but there's nothing wrong with sighting it in using that method. I guess laws vary where ever you go.
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

blackjack wrote:G'DAY I LIKE THESE TO SIGHT IN WITH. & THEN THE REST IS UP TO YOU...ALSO THEY ARE CHEAP FROM OVER YOUR WAY. FRANK
X2..i use the same rest and they work real good..but the feedsack is hard to beat too :D
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I sight in off of a Black & Decker Workmate portable table thingy. I use sandbags. More importantly, I don't shoot target points...ever. I sight in and practice with the broadheads I use for hunting. After sighting in and practice, I resharpen the blades and I'm ready to go.
I've found fixed blade heads often shoot differently than field points so my bow is broadhead only. Gary
Hazmat

Post by Hazmat »

I sight in my crossbow with a Harris Bipod attached to zero and then practice free hand from different positions to confirm my ability to shoot.

I keep a target in my truck and practice throughout the season as I find that the cold weather(December) effects the way my Equinox shoots, requiring minor scope adjustments.
Never argue with an idiot; they will only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

EQUINOX
Munch Mount
NGSS
wabi

Post by wabi »

I sight in and confirm accuracy frequently off a shooting bench. This permits me to be sure the bow is in fact accurate.
For practice I shoot from positions I would most commonly use when hunting. This permits me to be sure I'm doing my part correctly. :lol:
wabi
wayne

Post by wayne »

For sighting-in, used a cheap shooting stick from walmart, at 20 & 30 yards, then the bed rail of my truck at 40 & 50 yards......After that....
All practice shooting done the way I plan to hunt....off/hand (standing & siting), & elbow resting on knee (siting & kneeling), while shooting in the open & out of blinds, etc.
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
deerassassin_13

Exomag

Post by deerassassin_13 »

Hey I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the arrow speed is of the old excalibur exoMAG? I cant find it anywhere :x