Irradic Shooting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gtonini

Irradic Shooting

Post by gtonini »

I guess my question is how do you know if it is you or the xbow. Let me explain
I go to shoot my bow at 20yds the first arrow will hit the bull the next arrow will
hit six inches right the next will also probably be six inches right I'm shooting off
a camera tripod that I modified to hold the front of the bow I guess my real question is how do you figure out who's at fault. I'm shooting firebolt arrows that
came with the bow with 150grain fp. The bow is a axiom smf could it be bad arrows and how would you check that. Thanks for your help .
Rev X
Boo String
Rev X arrows
Swacker 150 grain
3x9 leuopold scope
wabi

Re: Irradic Shooting

Post by wabi »

Number your arrows and see if each arrow will shoot to the previous POI.

Check the bow for anything that could be interfering with arrow clearance (such as the plastic shims under the limbs protruding enough to touch the fletching as it passes).
wabi
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

If possible shoot from some type of rest while seated at a table so the front and back ends of the bow are both supported and very stable. Like wabi said check for the plastic shim interfering with the arrow fletching and go over the bow and check that all screws are tight.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Do you have yer modifyed tripod padded ? Hope so as anything hard serfaced will made stock vibrate. If'en yer constantly shooting to one side then possible yer pulling as you shoot
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Normous

Post by Normous »

Check for loose screws, especialy the scope ones.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
wayne

Post by wayne »

If all things check out with the bow & arrows....maybe try having someone watch ya shoot, to see if your jerking the trigger, my wife will jerk the trigger every now & then (she does not know she doing it...but I can see it when watching her shot) & every one of those shots are 4 to 8" to the right & usually alittle high, when she does it. It's just a thought/guess, I don't know fer sure, just might be something to look at.
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

I would also ensure that you are following through with the shot. Meaning, watching the arrow through the scope and not lifting your head to watch the impact.
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

if all these dont work, i think the scope is bad..i shoot my excal just like my rifle and they zing right in there..cant shoot the same place at 30yd with out pulling each arrow first..
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
seabee401

Post by seabee401 »

Strange. I had the same problem this wknd w/my Phoenix w/Varizone.
i agree w/ what all these helpful members are saying.Wabi and j.Krug bring up 2 VERY IMPORTANT points, both of which helped solve this problem for me. Make sure you are using a long gun type rest which supports both stock and fore end. hold snuggly down and back and squeeze and follow through. Also, I had to # my arrows(3) of them. I soon found out one of my arrows woul not fly straight no matter what. got rid of it.
These xbows are far more capable of consistent accuracy than i am, thats why the rifle rest helped eliminate this problem too.
Good luck.
tom
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
NonTypicalCPA

Post by NonTypicalCPA »

I had a similar problem, although not as extreme. I was dead on at 20 yards but when extended to 30 yards my arrows were off more than what I thought was acceptable. I found out that each arrow was consitently off in the same direction/distance. I experimented with turning the cock feather and found that by using a different cock feather I was able to bring the arrow back to bullseye at 30 yards. It took a while to figure the most accurate cock feather, but I gained a lot of confidence in my bow during that time.
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

I too had a similar problem when i started shooting off of bi-pod shooting stix. I experimented with holding the forearm or letting it simply sit with- hands off. If I shot simply letting the forearm rest on the cradle, the arrows were all over the place--the vibration caused the forearm to "jump."

What I found on this type of rest is to hold the forearm just as I would on a freehand shot, and it fixed the accuracy right up.
Exomax
Lumizone
Boo Trigger
Firebolts
125 Stricnines
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Something ya can try is what they call an artillary hold. I have used this when shooting springer air rifles with alot of 2-stage recoil. Another words let the crossbow rest on the palm of your hand while lightly-gripping the pistol grip area of the bow. Or lightly grip the bow at curve in stock area next to trigger guard area of bow and lightly or firmly hold onto pistol grip area of the stock.
Check all your fasterners on bow to make sure scope base and screws aren't shifting or moving. Another good point was to bench shoot your bow off a stable sturdy rest. Keep an eye on your scope to be sure it isn't changeing shift point to where or by the way bolts are hitting your mark on target etc... No don't know it all but hope that helps ya. All the best to ya. :D