I think Gremlins made my Axiom !

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gtonini

I think Gremlins made my Axiom !

Post by gtonini »

I am truly getting frustrated one day I go and shoot I feel like Robin Hood the next
day I shoot Excuse my french I can't hit a bull in the ass. Two days ago checked all screws to make sure they were tight they were. Shoot today miserable shooting bring bow back to house two screw that hold scope mount to bow are loose yes I
used blue lock-tite the last time does anyone know what size those button head screws are that hold the scope mount to bow ? I hope someone here has been down this road and found a fix if not I dont trust my shooting accuracy to go out
and try to shoot a deer and only wound or maim it. Any ideas or suggestions would greatly be appreciated but it seems that my bow has a bad habit of loose screws. Thanks for reading this !

Gary
Rev X
Boo String
Rev X arrows
Swacker 150 grain
3x9 leuopold scope
bucknbill

Re: I think Gremlins made my Axiom !

Post by bucknbill »

i put the blue on my bow and let dry over night..i,m thinkin it should hold fine it it had over night to dry..dont let it get you down..when you get it all set up tight you,ll love it..check that the screw holes are not stripped..good luck
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

If you want them to stay tight then use red. Just be aware they may not want to come out again. If you don't have one already you may want to consider a S5 to cut out some vibrations. I also use a white paint marker to dab a dot on each fastener (and where it mounts to) so that I can see right away when a bolt has vibrated loose. Liquid paper white-out works too
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Boo

Post by Boo »

I just crank them down and do an occasional nut and bolt check. Mind you they aren't any fun to take off either.
Nothing has ever come loose with the exception of everything on my Paradox.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wabi

Post by wabi »

Blue LocTite works for me, but I suggest you carefully clean the screws and the threads in the holes before installing the screws. :wink:

(Pipe cleaners & alcohol (I use Heet in the yellow bottle) seem to work well.)
wabi
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Sounds like you may have striped screws I swapped my Excal aluminum rings for some Millet Steel rings that can take some tightening it is a worth while up grade you need a weaver style ring if you decide to up grade good luck.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
peter p

Post by peter p »

Remove everything and start fresh.
Clean all screws and threads with rubbing alcohol. Let dry and put everything back together again with blue loctite.
let dry for at least 24 hours.

Bill T has tutorial on attaching scope mount and rings with loctite. It was somewhere on the instructonal videos.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

8/32 are the button head sized screws on scope mount
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

Ok, the screws are 8x32, but what length are they?
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Those button head allen screws are crap. They should nix those and provide Torx screws. I had one that the hole for the wrench rounded out. I snugged it down as best I could...with blue loctite...and moved on. Bad move.

From firing the bow, the scope was able to move up and down...more and more over time...and eventually wallowed out the hole in the aluminum mount, even though the 3 other screws were tight. When I was making my wood stock I noticed that the scope moved when I pushed on it. The end of my scope could move up and down 1/16". :shock:

I had accuracy promlems up to that point and now I know why. Just *one loose mount screw* caused all the problems. Gary
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

I was thinking stainless steel button heads. I don't think those 4 little staniless screws are going to spook a deer.
wabi

Post by wabi »

A few years ago I suggested to Excal they drill the scope mount so you could use the holes for the rear peep sight in addition to the 4 screw holes provided.
They said mounts coming loose were not an issue.
I still think it would be a good addition. :roll:
wabi
Dash

Post by Dash »

I've never had one come loose, but I done them very tight.
I stripped one a while back trying to undo a damaged weaver rail though. I was dead lucky that when I drilled it out I got it dead center, and managed to ezyout the screw afterwards.
I would prefer a screw with a deeper hex or torx, but found them hard to find around here in 8/32, and ended up getting more of the same on ebay.
What I do recommend is getting a quality better fitting allen key to do them tight without rounding the hex off.
strum

Post by strum »

Dash wrote:I've never had one come loose, but I done them very tight.
I stripped one a while back trying to undo a damaged weaver rail though. I was dead lucky that when I drilled it out I got it dead center, and managed to ezyout the screw afterwards.
I would prefer a screw with a deeper hex or torx, but found them hard to find around here in 8/32, and ended up getting more of the same on ebay.
What I do recommend is getting a quality better fitting allen key to do them tight without rounding the hex off.
i agree ..Boo told me this trick and it works ..you need a 1/4" socket type allen that fits snug..you can get a good solid downward push with that ratchet..I found that some
of those bits fit better than others so you have to try a few..
i rounded out a couple of those screws ..used a dremel to make a flat slot then a good flat screwdriver to remove them ..i think that little bit of heat from the dremel helped too..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I think the 8/32 screws are 5/16" in length but not positive. They can't go in to fer because they will hit into trigger assembly. I found that quality Hex wrenches are better than junk you buy at yer local china hardware toting stores
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315