back to fixed blades

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

back to fixed blades

Post by wabi »

As some of the older members know I had a mechanical broadhead fail to open on a deer a few years back. Perfect heart shot and the Wasp JakHammer ripped a big enough hole through the heart to put the deer down quickly, but the head was still banded (double O-rings) closed when I recovered it. :shock:

I switched to fixed blades and so far I've been 100% successful with them, but reading the forum threads got me thinking it might be interesting to try a mechanical again.

I bought a pack of Trophy Ridge "Sidewinder" heads (100gr - 1½" cut) last year and tested one for several shots on a foam target. No problems at all.
Put a new one on an arrow and spin tested it getting perfect results, so I put it in the quiver.

Saturday I decided to use it for hunting so I loaded it after I got in my stand.

Shot the doe (posted in another thread) and she only went about 35 - 40 yards before piling up. Recovered the arrow and it looked like I would expect it to. Well covered in blood, and the head buried in the ground with the blades open.
When I got to the deer I noticed the exit hole was BIG, but a little higher than I expected. Turned her over and the entrance hole was BIG and 3-4" high right (2:00 on an imaginary clock face) from where I had aimed (deer's left side toward me quartering slightly away - I aimed tight to the front leg in the "<" formed by the leg bones.

Still a good double lung hit and a dead deer nearby, but I think I'll go back to the fixed blade heads. :roll:
wabi
MDBOWHUNTER

Re: back to fixed blades

Post by MDBOWHUNTER »

It is tough to beat a good fixed blade. They eliminate one variable. I have never had a Slik Trick fail to open or come open on the shot.

D
Bigtime

Post by Bigtime »

Slick Tricks all the way baby!!!!!
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Wabi,

Is it not interesting that we whom buy Excal because of its simple less-moving-parts design choose to outfit the end of our arrows with broadheads that have moving parts? :shock:

NOW, before all the hatemail comes (as many here swear by mechanicals vs swearing at them), I do not use mechanicals because I primarily shoot through a ground blind's mesh (and sometimes denier LOL).