broadhead for the Equinox

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

arnettjd10

broadhead for the Equinox

Post by arnettjd10 »

Ive read several posts that people have had mechanicals open up in flight from their crossbow. i do not have a bh target or the money to test several different broadheads so im wondering wat mechanical broadheads u guys use outt of the equinox? I jus odered some Spitfire Maxx and i have Grim Reaper crossbow broadheads but im not sure if they r gonna stay closed when in flight.
2011 Excalibur Equinox
Shadow Zone Scope
Goldtip Laser II
110 gr brass inserts
Blazer X2
Rage 2 blade
deerhunter0430

Re: broadhead for the Equinox

Post by deerhunter0430 »

i use grimreaper and have never had a problem with them !!! :D
2010 equinox,groundpounder,boo string.S5,100 gr grim reapers
IAMCANADIAN

Post by IAMCANADIAN »

I too use the Grim Reapers, and last year stepped up to the large 1 3/4" cut. NOW: The large blades DO open up occasionally when fired (never had it happen with the smaller ones though), and due to the size the blades will actually hit the stirrup when firing sending your shot who-knows-where. A couple of dental elastics around the base of the blades keeps it from happening, and the results on deer are nothing less than devastating.
If you can't set a good example, at least serve as a horrible warning.
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Spitfires work great, but is inadequate for fast loading recurve xbows like Excals. I have spent some time figuring this out as I have always been a big fan of spitfires with regualr longbows as they are extremely accurate and deadly, but discovered they would come open when shot out of high poundage xbows due to being loaded so rapidly. I discovered this through paper tuning them side by side with compound bows and even with brand new shims 1 or 2 blades would come open inconsistently.
The solution to this is simply to remove the shims altogether and use orthodontic bands like all the other BH's use. By doing so you will also improve it's penetration(due to horrible energy required to overcome the shim system) and KNOW absolutely your shot will fly exactly where it should.
Great BH, NAP blades are insanely sharp and drops deer in tracks due to amazing accuracy/consistency...the blade rentention system although innovative is simply inadequate for crossbows let alone Excaliburs without rubber bands:)
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

IAMCANADIAN wrote:I too use the Grim Reapers, and last year stepped up to the large 1 3/4" cut. NOW: The large blades DO open up occasionally when fired (never had it happen with the smaller ones though), and due to the size the blades will actually hit the stirrup when firing sending your shot who-knows-where. A couple of dental elastics around the base of the blades keeps it from happening, and the results on deer are nothing less than devastating.
Not sure about some of the newer trendy designs on the market, but as mentioned about the Reapers, I would personally question any mechanical that employs an alternative blade retention systems shot out of Excals and test by shooting through paper. If opening, buy rubber bands for 3$ and rest assured it will fly right.
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1