what does deer hunting mean to you?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jody5050

what does deer hunting mean to you?

Post by jody5050 »

a cold, crisp fall morning. so quiet, you could hear a pin drop - an owl hoot at first light - the walk across the ridge top in the dark, (the older i get, the farther and steeper it becomes!) -the vibrant colors of the autumn leaves, as the suns rays luminate the woods - the tiny wren that lands on my arrow shaft. probably trying to figure out what i am - the yearling doe, at a mere 5 yds. staring a hole thru me. (please do not catch my scent) - the crow off in the distance, creating a rukus - the content feeling i get, once i settle into my ground blind, i feel at peace. i am home! - the heart pounding rush i feel when a nice buck is coming my way - i cannot help myself as i get a tear in my eye, i thank the lord for creating such beauty and letting me be part of it, i savor every moment of it, for i know not, if it could be my last, before climbing that ridge and down into that hollow in the sky...
exocet 200 easton power bolts tracer nocks 125gr magnus stingers bad river tagged-out fiber optic sight S5 system monkey tail string dampeners
MarkMarine

Re: what does deer hunting mean to you?

Post by MarkMarine »

Jody, beautifully said :) I share in that joy.
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Being there, just being there.........the smells, the sights, and the sounds. That's what i crave and that's why I do it.
In the Wind.......
GooGoos

Post by GooGoos »

Bein able to enjoy what mother nature has to offer us. Even if I don't even see anything that day, its about the quality time I get to spend in the great outdoors && spending time with my dad. Getting to share something we both enjoy doin.
*PRETTY IN PINK, DEADLY IN CAMO!

*In the fall I get to kill em in the rut, but in the spring I get to watch em strut.
*You can take the girl outta woods, but you can't take the addiction outta the girl!
*Can't kill anything sitting on the couch.
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Deer hunting for me is a way of life,I started out at a very young age and it was expected of you as a young man to hunt and to kill if at all possible.It wasnt that we depended on the meat or anything, it was what we did.We used dogs and set on deer stands and shot at running deer (no ethics at all) A bunch of rednecks and i was a little redneck :lol: The first day of season we didnt go to school..we skipped ...my mother would be pissed if she found out but my dad was cool about it and said just dont tell her ...we did as he said when it was to our advantage :lol: Later i started to go to the woods and took a seat around some known places deer had been seen and it started to pay off and i came across some books with alot of info in them like treestands,wind direction ect. My love for hunting changed and thats how i tought my boys to hunt and they have made me proud to see them hunt in a way that i feel is a better way than i started out but for the most part that was our only way. I enjoy going our seperate ways and having someone in our group kill something and skinning it out in the skinning shed with rubber gloves on ..didnt have them way back then and blood chapped hands sucked.I rembember taking a few drinks in the skinning shed (wish i could do that now)and putting the meat in the freezer,I think the most important part of hunting is who you spend your time with no matter how you do it as long as your doing it legal.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Sitting in the bush or field edge and watching wildlife as they are when no one is around.
And if a deer comes within range and I think I can harvest one all the better I never leave a hunting day with regret that I did not get an opportunity to shoot.
Tenpoint Matrix
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

What does deer hunting mean to me? Well, let's see....It means I have been blessed with another day of life, that I live in a free country (for now) where I can do this, that God's creation is beyond understanding.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

As with most hunting . The anticipation of opening morning like a kid waiting for Christmas morning . The joy of getting to go out with friends or family . The sharing of experiences be it good or bad with those same individuals .Seeing the pure happiness of a persons first harvest or their trophy of a lifetime .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I love being in the woods surrounded by the sounds and smells of the outdoors. I like early morning hunts when you arrive in the blackness of morning and sneak into your stand where you sit quietly and wait for the world around you to come alive. Then you sit all morning listening to the sounds of all the little critters and birds and watch them go about there routines unaware that you are watching them. To bag a deer or down a bird is always great and I like to put meat in the freezer but just being in the woods relaxes me and makes me feel at peace in my not always peaceful world!! Ain't nothin' better for the soul!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
deerhunter0430

Post by deerhunter0430 »

j.krug wrote:I love being in the woods surrounded by the sounds and smells of the outdoors. I like early morning hunts when you arrive in the blackness of morning and sneak into your stand where you sit quietly and wait for the world around you to come alive. Then you sit all morning listening to the sounds of all the little critters and birds and watch them go about there routines unaware that you are watching them. To bag a deer or down a bird is always great and I like to put meat in the freezer but just being in the woods relaxes me and makes me feel at peace in my not always peaceful world!! Ain't nothin' better for the soul!! :)
X2 !!!! J. Krug You must have been reading my mind...
2010 equinox,groundpounder,boo string.S5,100 gr grim reapers
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Complete solitude, no interruptions, letting the senses do their thing, nature all around, the excitement and anticipation of a impending apparition. Watching a deer make it's way through the cover. Getting the bow in place and knowing I could have harvested the animal had I intended to. Killing a deer definitely secondary.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Well for me it is just being there, knowing how lucky I am to be able to be there to experience everything and to think back about all the memories of the years gone by. Yesterday I was going through a box of stuff that my Mom and Dad had kept for me when I was growing up. And in it was my very first deer tag, a used one at that, and the shell casing from my first year of hunting deer with my Dad. Oh what the memories. I was so happy to see that and to be able to hang that in my room. Let me tell you all; that I miss my Mom and Dad. And all you young hunters and older hunters, just enjoy the many hunts that you may experience with your Mom or Dad hunting and throughout your lifetime.
Thank you,
Raymond
denisdendenis

Post by denisdendenis »

j.krug wrote:I love being in the woods surrounded by the sounds and smells of the outdoors. I like early morning hunts when you arrive in the blackness of morning and sneak into your stand where you sit quietly and wait for the world around you to come alive. Then you sit all morning listening to the sounds of all the little critters and birds and watch them go about there routines unaware that you are watching them. To bag a deer or down a bird is always great and I like to put meat in the freezer but just being in the woods relaxes me and makes me feel at peace in my not always peaceful world!! Ain't nothin' better for the soul!! :)

Well said Krug .i feel the same way ..go to my stand early morning ,and what you know the day is at the end ,time pass so fast .then can not wait for the next morning :D
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
3 lunenok excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

everything bout it....i love it all !!!
specially when my grandkids tell me "paw-paw you were right"
brings back wonderful memories of my son (there dad) at the age of 7 told me....pop, you was right... :D
and when i said the same to my dad. he wasa great teacher.
what an awsome season we have upon us
and a very good subject line!!! :mrgreen:
be safe and enjoy
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Actually deer season is the time of year I fill the freezer with meat.
I love fishing and small game hunting, but deer is what I go after with the intention of "making meat". I'll keep a few fish and eat a meal or two of squirrel, maybe even shoot a turkey every other year, but deer is something my family and I always enjoy.

Been lucky enough the past couple years to get one opening day which takes the pressure off to make a kill and allows me to take a more relaxed attitude toward hunting the next 4 months of deer season. (late Sept to early Feb here)

Hopefully I can put together a muzzleloader for my son (got a wood stock I can cut down to fit him somewhere in my shop if I can just find it :roll: ) and let him try to get one in the early youth season this year.
It's always fun to spend time in the woods with him and he enjoys it even more since I got him an apprentice license and have been taking him squirrel hunting this fall. He seems to be getting the idea of attempting ethical shots only, so maybe it's time for him to try deer hunting.
wabi