To trophy or not to trophy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rayman

To trophy or not to trophy

Post by rayman »

A new topic for conversation.

I have friends and aquantances that view hunting primary as a trophy sport. Many think it is borderline unethical to shoot a deer that is less than at least 3.5 years old and should really be 4.5 or 5.5. Some really take it to the extreme.

Must admit I have been there done that. I don't mind letting small/young bucks walk depending on where I am though. Kind of like it on a couple of places I hunt. Other than public land, many people around me have large timber company leases. Each lease has their own rules conserning what is exceptable to shoot. I am lucky in that I have private land to hunt on. For me it is ussually a personal choice.

Not one to shoot mass quantities of deer either. Never have been. In my state you are allowed 2 per day, not that you have the opportunity to kill that many. I don't like taking too much time away from the family. So, I don't pass on too many deer because I may not get to go very many times.

The way I look at it:
1. Don't want anybody getting hurt.
2. Want myself and every body that goes with me to have an enjoyable experience.
3. Want myself and others to see deer and have a good chance to kill one.

Any more than that is extra. If you get a big buck, great, but that is not the end all be all reason for going hunting. It really doesn't mean that much to me.

I also think that many people who are critical of someone else for shooting a deer are just jealous and wanted to shoot if themselves.

Please share thoughts.
BigNasty

Re: To trophy or not to trophy

Post by BigNasty »

Last edited by BigNasty on Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fujimo

Post by fujimo »

Hunting to me is foremost for fun and enjoyment of the outdoors.
Saying that. I love venison and my family can eat 3 deer a year. So unless someone I know wants venison I limit myself to 3. I've killed a few p&y deer with a bow and like you its not that big of a deal to me. I think a trophy is all relative to what a person is happy with. If they have never killed a deer let's face it anything with a bow is a trophy. And frankly any legal deer is legal to harvest so who's business is it anyway. To me people need to slow down enjoy our God given right to the outdoors and just get back to enjoying the hunt and not be so wrapped up into outdoing a friend or killing the biggest deer
Exomax
vari-zone scope
125gr. Rage 2blade
Boo custom string
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I've said this several times on this forum...any legal deer taken with any legal weapon is a trophy! To do otherwise only dishonor's the game we pursue.
If you are the landowner or the governing authority for the property and you set size/sex or other limitation's for the property i have no problem and i respect that. But if i kill a legal deer on said property and it doesn't measure up to someone else's standard's...well you better keep your mouth shut or your going to get your feeling's hurt.
Jimmy
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I dont have a problem with anyone who hunts trophies. I dont care if they use the meat personally or give it away, as long as it used. What I dont like is in pursuit of these trophies some are willing to spend huge amouts of money to lock up the land for themselves.

be it a huge rack or just a thirst for meat, I dont think judment should be made on someone elses behalf. What ever reason gets ya in the woods is a good one. But its human nature to judge someone elses actions and fueds between meat hunters and trophy hunters are not likely to end anytime soon. Much like the one between crossbow hunters and compound hunters.

My stance: old deer taste like crap.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Hunt the way you choose, harvest the animal you choose everyone has a different opinion and are allowed to act on it the only thing we should not do is impose our opinion on others.
I personally won't shoot a fawn with spots but others have and will their choice and I respect that.
Tenpoint Matrix
birddog1520

Post by birddog1520 »

I hunt for meat so the trophy is under the skin not on top of the head. But that is for me. However you choose to hunt has to be up to you and no one else, it's your time in the woods enjoy it as you see fit.

Randy, The Birddog.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

What is a Trophy, to many it appears that antlers are the prize. To others like me the Trophy is the meat & sharing much of it with other poor needy ppl we knowed. Maybe the real Trophy is the hunting time we spent outdoors ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xbowholic

Post by xbowholic »

The trophy aspect of hunting has almost ruined the entire vision of what was handed down to us from our ancestors; they respected the land, the animals they hunted, and the creator of it all; nowadays, we try to paint a picture to our younger generation that the ONLY respected deer is one that scores high for the books not those who are killed by average hunters for nourishment; tv shows along with their famous "hunters", game ranches who's only concern is to produce mega bucks and therefore charge mega bucks to those only who are able to pay, for the sole purpose of having their names mentioned in a record book;

My concept of the term, trophy, is any animal that is killed in a legal method regardless of choice of weapon and that animal goes to feed and nourish oneself and those whom they love; to kill a deer for the sole purpose of the size of antlers is the most disrespect that a hunter can protray; we are killing the desires of our young people when one downgrades them for killing a deer that doesn't meet the standards of what is described as a trophy;

In short, to hell with trophy hunting b/c I consider my spam my trophy room!!
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

xbowholic wrote:The trophy aspect of hunting has almost ruined the entire vision of what was handed down to us from our ancestors; they respected the land, the animals they hunted, and the creator of it all; nowadays, we try to paint a picture to our younger generation that the ONLY respected deer is one that scores high for the books not those who are killed by average hunters for nourishment; tv shows along with their famous "hunters", game ranches who's only concern is to produce mega bucks and therefore charge mega bucks to those only who are able to pay, for the sole purpose of having their names mentioned in a record book;

My concept of the term, trophy, is any animal that is killed in a legal method regardless of choice of weapon and that animal goes to feed and nourish oneself and those whom they love; to kill a deer for the sole purpose of the size of antlers is the most disrespect that a hunter can protray; we are killing the desires of our young people when one downgrades them for killing a deer that doesn't meet the standards of what is described as a trophy;

In short, to hell with trophy hunting b/c I consider my spam my trophy room!!
AMEN! :)
Chris Dillard

Post by Chris Dillard »

Hunting on only Public Hunting Land I consider the entire experience to be my trophy. From the sunrise to the sunset, the feeling of the antlers in my hands to the great table fare. I love it all, my friends we are only here for a short time enjoy the hunt!!
2014 Vixen II
2006 Exomax