Hunting in Canada

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Aero320

Hunting in Canada

Post by Aero320 »

I flew to Winnipeg this morning and drove over to Dryden on the Trans-Canada. Saw three deer on the trip and one bear (no moose). How do you guys hunt this area, it is so vast and the cover is so thick. I expected to see animals in every valley. Same for the lakes, every bank looks good. How do know where to fish?
Exocet 200
Lumizone
S5
Flemish Dyna String
Gold Tip Laser III's
Easton 2117 w/Brass Inserts
Rocket Hammerheads (100g.)
Slick Tricks
X-Act Mechanicals
Leupold Vendetta
MarkMarine

Re: Hunting in Canada

Post by MarkMarine »

I have no clue, Canada is a beautiful country...just rode horses there years ago - never hunted. Of course, I like the area of TN you are from too. Nice deer woods there LOL
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

A few of my hunting partners have gone up to Dryden (for those who don't know, it's a community in north-western Ontario) and were able to bring back some nice moose over the years. From our town there, it's a 15 hour drive, so quite ways away, but well worth it. My wife is from a small town in Northern Ontario called Cochrane – good spot for moose hunting as well, but as I’m a resident of the province of Québec, the non-resident tag is hella expensive, so we don’t go every season.

It's unfortunate that you didn't get to see any moose as it is a nicely populated area for it. They've had good years with both hunting from stands & blinds, but have had better luck tracking them down on the field. Lots of walking involved, same for 4wheelin', but you get to enjoy some very nice scenery. Best places are IMHO in 5-7 year old forestry clear cuts where the re-growth is still fairly young. You can see for miles around and a good pair of binocular is key; and well of course, a great caller too!

Can’t say much on fishing in that part of Ontario as I’ve never been myself.

Was in Nashville this past June for the CMA Fest and we both really enjoyed being in Tennessee. Hopefully we’ll be able to make it back down there for some hunting next time!

Cheers
Ben
(still trying to come up with something witty and interesting to add)

Excalibur Equinox Shadow-Zone LSP
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Get out in a canoe and call for moose lots of water in that neck of the woods.
The best things in life are not things!!
Aero320

Post by Aero320 »

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I am up here for business and do not have any free time. I will be driving back to Winnipeg on Thursday; maybe I will see a moose.

Middle Tennessee is a very nice area. In fact, The area south of Nashville around the Jack Daniels area is my favorite. We have lots of lakes full of fish and great places to hunt and NO STATE INCOME TAX!
Exocet 200
Lumizone
S5
Flemish Dyna String
Gold Tip Laser III's
Slick Tricks
X-Act Mechanicals
Leupold Vendetta
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

My Grandfather's family is from Tennessee and settled there after the migration of Choctaw in the early 1800s. My woman is over in Johnson City area now visiting her family. I would love to move to TN, but she likes Missouri...she has me PW'd...so she wins LOL
Hallaketrout

Post by Hallaketrout »

Mostly we call for moose from a ground blind on a point.
A friend of mine just got back from Whitehorse, Yukon. Nice bull moose 64 inches across the rack.
In north Ontario a lot of people use guides, I have met Alex Gouthro a couple of times, very knowlgeable. Too bad he no longer guides but he can hook you up to a guide.

http://www.northernontariobowhunterservices.com/
You are only Young Once but have the rest of your life to be Immature!

Hunting
Kayak Fishing
Fly Fishing
Trap Shooting
30-06
And now Exocet 200/Lumi-zone
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

Hallaketrout wrote:Mostly we call for moose from a ground blind on a point.
A friend of mine just got back from Whitehorse, Yukon. Nice bull moose 64 inches across the rack.
In north Ontario a lot of people use guides, I have met Alex Gouthro a couple of times, very knowlgeable. Too bad he no longer guides but he can hook you up to a guide.

http://www.northernontariobowhunterservices.com/
Whitehorse is definately a world class destination for moose hunting. Which outfiter did he go with. Obviously you must know The Rack Man, Real Langlois and his hunting exploits up in Whitehorse. I think that last time my huning partner spoke to him, the price for the trip was $30k. A little too rich for our blood, but the sizes of the animals up there is simply phenomenal.

My wife is from the north-east of ontario, town of Cocrhane. Great moose hunting there, but tags can be a gamble to get. You can take the train up too Moosonee, Ontario. Some great hunting there as well.
(still trying to come up with something witty and interesting to add)

Excalibur Equinox Shadow-Zone LSP
mitch

Post by mitch »

Aero320. I live in Dryden so I can answer your question.The deer are plenty around town an easier to hunt but I hunt on crown land bush deer .It is harder because they always have wolf on their tail they spoke very easy but it is very rewarding the deer are huge.For fishing it is amazing right from town an all around.
Aero320

Post by Aero320 »

Mitch, I had dinner tonight at Busters Barbeque over at Vermillion Bay. Heading back to Winnipeg tomorrow and back to TN tomorrow night. This is certainly a beautiful area.
Exocet 200
Lumizone
S5
Flemish Dyna String
Gold Tip Laser III's
Slick Tricks
X-Act Mechanicals
Leupold Vendetta
mitch

Post by mitch »

Aero320. yes it is your welcome to stop by I own the Chalet inn motet & restaurant in Dryden. ask for the owner Michel.
Aero320

Post by Aero320 »

Mitch, I would have stayed there this week if I had known!
Exocet 200
Lumizone
S5
Flemish Dyna String
Gold Tip Laser III's
Slick Tricks
X-Act Mechanicals
Leupold Vendetta