scopes/red dots - are they necessary?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

seanpcooper

scopes/red dots - are they necessary?

Post by seanpcooper »

Hello from a newbee. I just ordered a bare bones Vortex (no nothing on it) and I was wondering if a scope and or red dot set up is really necessary. I have a lever action rifle (Marlin 1894 .357) and when I go Deer hunting (ranges under 100yrds) I find that a scope is really not necessary. I am 42 but my vision has maintained 20/20 so although I have a Mil dot rifle scope I find that I never use it and maneuvering it through the brush is a lot easier without it.

Well any thoughts would be appreciated. Any comments about the Vortex would be appreciated too. I am excited to get it. I've order the arrows and flemmish string etc but I can't wait till it comes in the next few days. I live in California if anyone wants to hunt with me next month for Hogs at Lake Sonoma Archery and crossbow hunt. It goes from Nov 26 to March. Rifles not allowed. I have never shot a hog and that is my goal. Hopefully the Vortex will help me get there.

Thanks for any input.

Sean
Doe Master
Site Admin

Re: scopes/red dots - are they necessary?

Post by Doe Master »

First off . Welcome to the forum
Having a sighting device on your bow is a personal choice . Having one of the most accurate bows , you are squeezing out the full potential by using a scope .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Just shot a deer last week with the factory sights at 20yds with 20 min of legal time left and they were very visible( no clouds that night so that could impact the visibility)
It is a personal choice so I don't think there is a right or wrong answer

Here is my newest front sight
Last edited by Dereck on Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tenpoint Matrix
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

I also live in California. I live in Santa Barbara County. I do almost all of my hunting with my Excalibur crossbow. Hogs are a ton of fun to hunt. I have killed several with my crossbow. My vortex is a backup to my Equinox. I do feel that a scope is a real help.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
wabi

Post by wabi »

An old general comparison for sights I've heard is if you can shoot a 4" group with open sights you can shrink it to 2" with a peep sight and 1" with a scope.
Although not an exact formula it does seem to hold some truth. :shock:

The Excal has a peep sight, and in my experience I find that 2" groups are quite possible at 25 yards, and with a good scope 1" groups are very common.
The one thing I've noticed that makes more accurate shooting difficult is the large front f/o bead in the Excal front sight, but it's an asset in dim light. :wink:
For hunting, and with good eyesight, it should be sufficient at reasonable ranges.
wabi
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

For me its a scope. But like Dereck said it is personal preference.
Raymond
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

I have to have a scope with my eyes..you will get tighter groups and longer shootin time with a scope..open sights will work at close range, good eyes and enough light
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
seanpcooper

Post by seanpcooper »

Thanks very much for the response. Okay I'm convinced. I think I'll opt for a scope but can anyone tell me the advantages of a red dot over a scope. I think I am leaning towards the 3 dot red dot thing. Forget what it's actually called. It's that square piece of glass thing. Well unless I can be convinced again to just bread down and get a real scope scope.
Bones

Post by Bones »

If you are talking about Exacl's or True glow's new multi red dot site save your money. They don't like or can't take any moisture it results in many many red dot's found this out moose hunting this year. And most of the screws fell out after 1 month on the bow ( nox ) His was junk after 4 day's in the bush.
Bones
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

The nice thing about the scope over a red dot is you are not dependent on a battery . If your battery dies in a illuminated scope you still have aiming marks .
We are all human and leave them on overnight . :shock: :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
fujimo

Post by fujimo »

If I was hog hunting up close in the Florida swamps I might use open sights. But hog hunting California I would opt for a good scope.
Exomax
vari-zone scope
125gr. Rage 2blade
Boo custom string
Dash

Post by Dash »

You can't beat a quality scope for superior accuracy at all ranges :wink:
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

For me I need a scope as my eyes are not what they used to be and regular sights won't do it for me. I just swapped out my Varizone for a new Shadow Zone. Looking forward to getting it sighted in soon. I really like the lighted crosshairs. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
seanpcooper

Post by seanpcooper »

Okay I'm convinced to get a scope. Yea, maybe I'm too easy to convince but the other research I've done since I've posted confirms - I probably need a scope. Now what scope is good with the Vortex - or does it matter. For some reason I am thinking I should get something other than an Excalibur Scope but I realize that doesn't make much sense. Any one have any advice for a good scope around $100? Thinking that is about my limit. thanks again.
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.