Looking at getting brass insert for fire bolt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BBDOWN

Looking at getting brass insert for fire bolt

Post by BBDOWN »

I got my equinox when they first hit the market.I love it kills anthing that moves I 've been switching broad heads 150grn boltcutters to 100grn mach I've just picked up 100 CB rage and was wondering if I can put a 50grn brass insert or ring on them I love the damage a rage can do but have'nt seen 150s do they even make a150CB rage. any input would be helpful.
Boo

Re: Looking at getting brass insert for fire bolt

Post by Boo »

Have you tried to shoot the 100 gr broadheads yet?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
BBDOWN

Post by BBDOWN »

yep,nice head but at 40yrds it dropped 4inches dead on 20 30 just couldent get the reach I want, 150 boltcutters are nice but bigger hole and penatration means less walking.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I think you should try the Rage without the extra weight so see if you need it.
BTW, I was looking at the Rage website and they mention a huge entry hole but never an exit hole. Also the show a whole whack of animals running with arrows sticking out like there's little penetration. I don't hear much in the way of complaints but conventional wisdom says we want an exit as well as an entry hole. What's up with that?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
GGC

Post by GGC »

If you want the same weight as before with the boltcutters, install 110 grn brass up front. Gold tip laser II brass inserts will work fine with the firebolt. Take it to the next level and get some blazers or quik spin vanes on them. You won't look back.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I'm with the Boo man, seen enough Drury Bros. hunts and very seldom have I seen a pass thru with the rage bh's, to me there's always the what if, it don't open or opens in flight, no thanks keep it simple like the xcal bows no wheels and I like one piece bh's, with this being said no matter what your useing if it works for you don't change it.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
trackeral1

Post by trackeral1 »

Gold tip arrows have10g, 20g and 50 grain weights that screw into the back of you insert, you have to remove your nock and need a special wrench to install them(or you can make your own wrench) The weights are a great way to fine tune your arrow and broad head for optimum FOC. I always suggest using one arrow and broadhead to experiment with, adding and subtracting weight till you are satisfied with the results before you build or order arrows. So people think this is to complicated a process for them, it is not that hard at all and one of the cheapest and best ways to help achieve stable arrow flight. After you have determined the optimum weight for your arrow make sure you put loctite on the weight before you install them permanently. If that seems like to much work or to complicated you have another option that is open to you. Rage sells a crossbow broadhead that weighs 125g and you can purchase brass washers from 3 Rivers archery that weigh 5g each(make sure you order the right size washer) place 5 washers behind the rage and you will have a 150g broadhead. Just a word of warning .... even if you change to a broadhead that is the exact same weight, if the total length of your arrow changes(from the nock to the tip of your broadhead) you will have effectively changed your FOC and have altered the flight path of the arrow in comparison to the other broadhead. That rule also applies to your field points. Always try to get a field point that is not only the same weight but the same length as the broadhead you are shooting(as close as possible anyway) Many people are using the 110g brass insert in there arrows and I can testify that they certainly stabilize arrow flight(even with light broadheads) and increase the arrows kinetic energy value' the down side is the trajectory of your arrow will not be as flat as using an aluminum nock. An aluminum nock weighs about 21g, a brass nock weighs 110g, that's a difference of 89g. In your case you want to increase your weight by 50g that gives you 39g more g's than you wanted. That could be a good thing or it could be a bad thing depending on how you want your bow to shoot.My suggestion would be to by a brass insert (gold tip has those also) put it in one of your arrows and see if you like the way it shoots.( before you build or order a dozen and find out you don't like them) My experience has taught me that not all crossbow's like the same kind of arrows, FOC or broadhead's. There is no reason why a broadhead should not shoot in the exact same place as a field point does if your arrow is tuned correctly.I shoot crossbow's with allot of people some shoot light arrows some shoot heavy arrows it's all personal preference on how you want your bow to shoot, the good ones can hit a lifesaver at 30 yards 8 out of 10 times How? They tuned there arrows to there crossbow.So can you, just take your time and experiment with different setup's. Good Luck and I hoped this helped.
Everybody be careful out there and have fun! All this tecky talk gives me a headache.... I am going hunting to clear my head. SEE YA
P.S. If it ain't broke don't fix it especially in the middle of the season! Hunt hard during season makes changes in the off season!!!!!
Hallaketrout

Post by Hallaketrout »

The Gold tip inserts fit well...But, I have found a 75 gr insert in a Firebolt works well. This is what I shoot.
Firebolt, 75 gr insert, 100gr X-Act broadhead = 418gr total weight
Normal Firebolt, 150 gr Boltcutter BH = 416 gr total wt.
GT Laser, 100 gr insert, 100gr X-Act BH = 410 total wt.
All 3 combinations hit within an inch and a half at 40 yds off of a rest from my Exocet.
Because the mecanicals have a bigger cut they use up more energy on the way through, so the extra weight of the brass insert gives it the push for a good exit.
You are only Young Once but have the rest of your life to be Immature!

Hunting
Kayak Fishing
Fly Fishing
Trap Shooting
30-06
And now Exocet 200/Lumi-zone