Equinox Accuracy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fish Aholic

Equinox Accuracy

Post by Fish Aholic »

Looking for some help here..... I purchased a Equinox crossbow and took it out to do some target practice today and was disappointed in the accuarcy. Maybe it is me, but out of five shots, I hit the target only once. Other then myself being a factor what can I do to ensure the accuracy? I am shooting a 100 grain field points with Easton carbon bolts. I plan to hunt with it but heck, if I cannot hit a target at 20 yards away, I should not hunt with it. Other then th accuracy part, the Equinox is a great shooting crossbow. I am going to work with it more tomorrow to see what I can find. Maybe it is me? :wink:
rayman

Re: Equinox Accuracy

Post by rayman »

Something's not right. You should be hitting the same hole at 20 and 30 yards. Maybe the point/bolt combo is no good.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Are you using a rope cocker?
Where is your brace height?
How many arrows are you using?
What string are you using?
Are you using a rest?
Have you done a nut and bolt check on EVERY fastener?
What scope are you using?
Have you checked for arrow shaft straightness?
Are the black plastic shims under the limbs near sticking out and in the path of the fletchings?
Do your fletching have an offset?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Yeah, what boo said!! :mrgreen:

Step one: are you using the cocking aid or doing it by hand? The cocking aid pulls the string back evenly.

Somfin aint right. That bow should be stackin arrows so they touch. Check every fastner on her. And shoot from a rest to eliminate you as the cause.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

The following kind goes without sayin', but you've adjusted the both height and wind tourrets on your scope right?

There's definately a factor in the equation that is throwing your shots off and I'm thinking it's mecanical. Sure a bad shot is a bad shot, but I don't think you are missing those @ 20 yards.

When I purchased my Equinox (light package) it took me only a few shots (from a rested position on a solid & leveled bench) to adjust the scope. It's so precise that you don't really want to shoot at the same bulleye twice or you'll have a good chance of ruining two good bolts!!

Good luck with it - I'm sure you'll be able to find the culprit.

Cheers
Ben
(still trying to come up with something witty and interesting to add)

Excalibur Equinox Shadow-Zone LSP
Wildlife Control

Post by Wildlife Control »

Try a 150 grain field point and shoot from a solid rest with someone watching YOU while you shoot. The slightest flinch makes worlds of difference. That bow will drive nails at 20 yds. 100 grains on a Firebolt is just over the minimum weight. The Equinox will handle a heavier and sometimes more accurate load with no problems.
Florida Nuisance Wildlife Trapper

Excalibur Equinox
Easton Firebolts Brass Inserts
NAP Spitfires

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's MUCH more important than that.
Fish Aholic

Post by Fish Aholic »

WOW! :shock: Thanks for the reply's guys. I looked into it today and shot it several times this evening and I believe that I have found what is wrong? Basically, the scope or something is mounted wrong. I adjusted the scope all of the way to the left and I am shooting about 10 to 12 inches to the right at 15 yards. I need to figure how to move the bracket that mounts the scope or something.

I am using a cocking rope and a rest for the bow.

I have used three arrows. Eventually lost one arrow, broke another after missing the target and am working on my third. Not sure what string I am using but could that make that much of a difference? I have done a nut and bolt check after ever shot. I am using the scope that came with the bow. It is a great scope. I believe that the mount under the scope is crooked or something?

I wonder if their is a bow shop around Houston, TX. That I could bring it to and have it looked at??? :roll:
martyp

Post by martyp »

I just bought an equinox last week and am so excited and happy with it words hardly describe.The second day i made the mistake of shooting 2 arrows at the same target big mistake i robinhooded and ruined one [20yards] not bad for the 12th time i ever fired it.Then went to the rifle range set my target at 50 yards [using 150 grain field tips] i had 2 arrows touching that made me nervous as i could hear them hit and the third was 1.5 inches away.There were 3 guys waiting to sight there rifles in and when they walked down and saw my target there mouths dropped,they said they have seen guys that cant do that with a gun.Yeah for excaliber. I live in northern B.C Canada and plan to shoot bear,moose,goat,and sheep with it and hope to post pictures. Thanks again Excaliber
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

Welcome aboard Marty !

I hear yeah on the accuracy of the Equinox right out of the box. This goes for all model of course, but my experience with them is with the Equinox.

What kind of sheep and goat hunt do you plan on doing with the xbow? I'd love to be able to do so (obviously not where I'm located!!) with it, but thought that long-range rifle shooting was the only way!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers
Ben
(still trying to come up with something witty and interesting to add)

Excalibur Equinox Shadow-Zone LSP
Fish Aholic

Post by Fish Aholic »

I may just need to reassemble or something? At 20 yards and the scope adjusted all the way to the left, I am still about a foot to the right. It shoots great and hits around the same spot each time.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Try taking the scope off and use the open sights. If everything is good using the open sights, then send your scope back for a new one.

You could try adjusting the scope all the way to the left, then all the way to the right and back to center. The springs could be locked up.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Check to see if the plastic shims between barrel and riser have migrated inward toward the barrel channel and may be hitting the vanes as they go by. If so, trim them to flush with riser.
Assuming all screws and bolts are tight (use blue LocTite to keep them that way) I'd check the scope by trying the bow w/o a scope or a different one.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Another thing you might consider is moving the target to 10 yards. This is what I did when I first sighted in the XBow out of the box. Less likely to lose arrows that way till you figure things out.
martyp

Post by martyp »

Hi canuckben we have a mountain range 5 hrs from here that is bow only for stone sheep. My buddy shot a full curl ram 2 yrs ago with a bow at 35yds it took 2 yrs mind you to eventually get close enough for a shot but well worth the time.The mountain goat is a lot easier to get. We have also a bow only area for goat and limited entry for the rest. The trick to get a goat with a bow is to approach them from above they are not used to that, all their enemies come from below them and they can basically see you getting out of your truck.If you can get above them which is the hard part get situated behind a rock near the edge and throw small rocks over they will come up to see what is going on hopefully within 60yds [thanks to equinox].Moose during the rut can be called in very close. My buddies got two moose with the bow one at 6yds from a tree stand the other 21 yds. Outside the rut THATS DIFFERENT STORY alot harder, thats why i bought a crossbow it still can be done but you have to use all knowledge and skill you have learnt.
Last edited by martyp on Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
rayman

Post by rayman »

martyp wrote:My buddy shot a full curl ram 2 yrs ago with a bow at 35yds it took 2 yrs mind you to eventually get close enough for a shot
One of the few hunting show hosts I actually like, Fulkrod I think, did a sheep hunt show a few years ago. Back camped and worked a week to get a 300 yard shot at 3 rams in a pack. Missed, they ran a short distance, he missed again, and his hunt was over just like that. That's hard core hunting. I hunt pretty serious, but that is big time.