Varizone versus multi red dot sight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lvt01

Varizone versus multi red dot sight

Post by lvt01 »

So any of you folks that have tried the new multi red dot sight have any opinions on it for hunting? Is it any better or worse than say a Varizone scope? Does it have a quicker target acquisition, is it standing up to tough field conditions, etc. I'm just curious. I've seen some comments on it, but just wondered if anyone else wanted to chime in on the subject. I've been toying with purchasing one to possibly replace my Varizone, but don't want to just be throwing money away if its not going to be an improvement to what I already have. Thanks! Larry
redmandant

Re: Varizone versus multi red dot sight

Post by redmandant »

Stay with the Varizone, dead battery on the red dot( and yes it happens) and you are hunting with a $700 club :wink: :roll:
I know I can't spell but does it look like I CAIR!!!!!
MDBOWHUNTER

Post by MDBOWHUNTER »

I like the 3 dot a lot better than the scope. Quick target aquisition and both eyes open. I have 3 of them for all my xbows. And a spare that I would consider selling if you decide you want to try one. They take a little getting used to, because the dots don't always match up with exact yardages. It depends on the speed of your bow.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Don't get the multi dot wet! you end up with many dots ,saw this first hand this year moose hunting, And a number of screws fell out of it as well.
Bones
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

Have used red dots on different shotguns before. I really like how quickly you can pick up your target. Have never used a multi dot one before. Have just been toying with idea. Did put a shotgun single red dot on one of my crossbows when the Lumizone it was sporting went haywire and had to send it in for warranty. It actually worked pretty well, but I didn't like just having a single aiming spot. That's why I thought the multi red dot might work pretty well for hunting. As far as the battery issue.....that is why you should always carry a fresh spare for the just in case times. Why would rain or water be an issue? I would have guessed that they are sealed as well as any other scope.
Bones

Post by Bones »

What we found was , where the light is projected out onto the screen or glass, water or moisture would get in there, then when it was turned on you would see all kinds of dots on the screen. There was no way to get in there to dry it in the field. then once the screws fell out of it, to the garbage it went. Bought new in june and did'nt make it through 9 days moose hunting.
Bones
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

So...was that the new style Excalibur red dot sight that did that?
Bones

Post by Bones »

Yes it was , I think truglo makes them ,the 2 look identicle except the Excal is black.
Bones
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Scope all the way. Red dot cannot be adjusted for arrow trajectory, no magnification for precise shooting. As for quick acquisition, it's overrated on a CB, better to be precise with arrow placement than quick. Red dots are relatively fragile (bang it even slightly against the tree pulling up bow and...) and require a battery to operate. BTW, have used both red dots and scopes. A floating reticule on the TruGlo changed my mind; still haven't found that arrow.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

Sounds like its a better plan just to stay with the scopes I have. Thanks for the info guys!