For all the ground huters, what's your secrect?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big58cal

Re: For all the ground huters, what's your secrect?

Post by Big58cal »

The main thing is just to play the wind. There's several cover scents you can use, but they only help cover your scent. If a deer gets downwind, you're going to be busted generally.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Wind/breeze I also like days that have mist/rain helps keep my scent down not heavy rain.
I also keep my clothes outside in my wood shed and use a product called "essence of fall"smells like rotting leaves.
http://www.naturesessence.net/
Had this buck hang around me last weekend while I was sitting leaning on a tree turkey hunting he hung around for a while so I shot him!! with the camera :lol:
The best things in life are not things!!
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Alot of good posts on this already. I've been hunting strictly from the ground for nearly 20 years now. I use to teach hunter safety and received all of our states hunting accident reports. I have never fallen from a tree myself but after continually getting to read these horrific reports it put me on the ground. I usually make natural blinds where I hunt by lining limbs or stumps or whatever I can find around the base of a decent sized tree. I then trim shooting lanes if need be and use those leafy limbs to assist in my blind. Also raking out the leaves in your blind not only helps with noise control but really kicks up that earthy dirt smell to also aid in scent control. Another tip is if I am hunting pine areas I usually break off some of the green needles and rub them on my boots and hat or whatever and get those pine oils smelling strong. If hunting field edges ragweed is usually available and has a strong odor too.
Why ride when you can walk!
BBDOWN

Post by BBDOWN »

Take your time! When I ground hunt and thats were I like it best take your time it should take you an hour to go 100yrds walk into the wind, and don't think deer are going to jump out in frint of you,you might see an ear or tail.I like to cover as much ground as possible miles a day. I've shot more deer just walking thought the bush then ever in a stand or blind.but thats me
wabi

Post by wabi »

Be vewy vewy quiet

My favorite days for the ground blind are those days with a very light rain or snow falling. I'm dry in my pop-up blind and my scent isn't dispersed because of the falling rain/snow.
I've often had to set my cigar and coffee down to take a shot. :wink:
wabi
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

wabi wrote: I've often had to set my cigar and coffee down to take a shot. :wink:
wabi, now thats lowest bama style hunt'n.............. :wink:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
rayman

Post by rayman »

wabi wrote:I've often had to set my cigar and coffee down to take a shot.
At least you didn't say you have to set down your beer or mixed drink to take a shot. :)
wabi

Post by wabi »

rayman wrote:
wabi wrote:I've often had to set my cigar and coffee down to take a shot.
At least you didn't say you have to set down your beer or mixed drink to take a shot. :)
20 years ago I might have, but I finally figured out if I don't take that first drink I don't wake up the next day with a hangover wondering what I did the night before. :lol: :lol:
wabi
Dash

Post by Dash »

Here when hunting dry areas, you can set up a blind where at the most likely place the animal can get water. Even if its just where you think the dew will collect on a granite outcrop in the morning. Get comfortable in position so you won't be restless and have to move, and get set in the most likely direction of the shot you'll take without being upwind. I don't use scent products. When I use a camo chair behind a blind,the bow is resting on my crossed leg knee in direction of the shot and only needs to be raised slowly a few inches to shoot. Sometimes I've just camoed right up and sat on a chair in that position, othertimes using a basic blind to cover my movement for if I need to have a drink etc.. You know your camoed up well when the small birds try landing on your stirrop . One flew backwards when we saw eye to eye :lol:
The less movement you have to make to take the shot, the more success you'll have in getting your shot off well. Have rocks/bushes in the line of sight already range finded, it saves time when the oppertunity presents itself. When I've forgot to do this, I've missed oppertunities by a second.
Nearly all the times I've had succses its because I was dead still, and saw or heard the game just before it saw me. For me the biggest deciding factor in my successes and failures was who spotted or heard movement first. I've seen game smell my scent, and keep sniffing around still giving me time to get my shot off. Although I'm not hunting deer like most people, hopefully some of these points may still be useful. Good luck to ya.
Last edited by Dash on Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Play the wind and do not move a round . Deer pick off the slightest movement . A friend put me onto these chairs and I have killed several deer a point blank range and so has he . Sit get comfy fall asleep , I snore -- (call the deer in )-- and shoot

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... l+Products
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Nice chair, Farmer!

I just added it to my wish list. :mrgreen: '

Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

We use them a lot . You can set up almost any where along a field edge in a ravine . The big thing is that they are very comfortable which = no figitting .