Is there any help for my problem?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

maple

Re: Is there any help for my problem?

Post by maple »

Safety first.

Do whatever it takes to makes you feel confident.

There are a lot of helpful suggestions here.

Maple
birddog1520

Post by birddog1520 »

Thanks for the responses folks they are very appreciated and helpful please keep them coming.

j.krug - I dug out my old gas lantern I have a lamp for my head but it just is'nt bright enough for tracking.

Panhandler80 - I also respect the bears in my area they just don't seem to be as afraid of humans as they should they just wonder off when they see you and sometimes you actually have to yell at them to make them go away. I've had bear bump deer out of bow range on me three different times this season.

Leonard H. - As I stated earlier if I can find it I'll get it out.

Big58cal & Gewehrhund - Yes you can carry if you have concealed carry permit, which I do, but the weapon cannot be considered a sporting arm, I don't own a handgun that fits into that category, they all could be considered sporting arms, besides our local game warden is only a couple years out of the academy and thinks all hunters are out to break the law and wants to arrest you for breathing wrong. It's not worth the hassle with him.

Thanks, Randy, The Birddog.
BigNasty

Post by BigNasty »

Last edited by BigNasty on Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
birddog1520

Post by birddog1520 »

BigNasty wrote:In VA you can carry concealed if you have a license to carry. I've never had fear of anything on four legs doing me harm. It is the ones on two legs you got to look out for.

I definitely agree with you on that BigNasty.

Randy, The Birddog.
seabee401

Post by seabee401 »

Here in New Jersey, I am more concerned w/ my own protection rather than having a bear find the dead deer. The bears here in NJhave very little or no fear of humans. I too have had an un-nerving experience w/ a bear while bowhunting. I've had one popping it's teeth and blowing and then lunge forward as if to bluff charge. didnt notice any cubs so dont know if it was sow or boar.Bear didnt leave. I backed away slowly and luckily the situation ended @ that. But I am always looking over my shoulder now. Where I hunt I almost always see bear . sometimes more bear than deer.In New Jersey a law abiding citizen, w/no criminal record is not allowed to carry a handgun for any reason whatsoever.You cannot protect yourself from two legged or four legged critters ! You cannot have that piece of mind that it is there in case you need it.
There is a bear season here now, but the population is too great, and the harvest is not enough. The area cannot sustain the population of bears.most of the bears you see in the woods are the same ones that are seen in lake communities and such, so they have no fear of humans anywhere you encounter them.
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
birddog1520

Post by birddog1520 »

seabee401 - I appreciate your situation that's why I've decided to take my 357 maggie with me from now on it's the closet handgun I have to a non sporting arm it is a colt trooper mark III and was the weapon my father carried when he was a police officer. Wish me luck with our Game Warden if I need to use it.

Randy, The Birddog.
seabee401

Post by seabee401 »

Birddog1520
Just out of curiosity, what is considered a non sporting handgun? I also have a .357 mag. it's a Ruger Vaquero single action revolver. I sometimes take w/ me when I hunt during P.A. rifle season up in Wyoming Co. i have the sportsmans permit, which is the only one allowed to non-PA residents and can use only during firearm season. I also take it to the PA game land ranges where pistols are allowed.
I dont blame you for carrying it. I would too if it were legal.I dont think you would have a problem w/Game Warden as long as you are licensed to carry. I wish NJ would legalize concealed carry @ least for hunters.
Tom
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

put your jacket across the deer and i know some that has urinated there :shock: ..it definitely works on the yotes..can,t say bout the bears
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
birddog1520

Post by birddog1520 »

seabee401 wrote:Birddog1520
Just out of curiosity, what is considered a non sporting handgun? I also have a .357 mag. it's a Ruger Vaquero single action revolver. I sometimes take w/ me when I hunt during P.A. rifle season up in Wyoming Co. i have the sportsmans permit, which is the only one allowed to non-PA residents and can use only during firearm season. I also take it to the PA game land ranges where pistols are allowed.
I dont blame you for carrying it. I would too if it were legal.I dont think you would have a problem w/Game Warden as long as you are licensed to carry. I wish NJ would legalize concealed carry @ least for hunters.
Tom

Tom
In Pa. a non sporting handgun would be a semi-auto they are not legal to hunt with. As far as your Ruger is concerned as long as you have a sporting permit you are legal during the firearms season. It's the archery season I'm concerned about. I stated in an earlier post about our local game warden, he is only a couple of years out of the academy and thinks everyone is out to break the law and wants to arrest you for even breathing wrong. I understand his is not an easy job but he goes overboard most of the time. I only hope he settles down as time goes on.

Randy, The Birddog.