Got my buck

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

j.krug

Re: Got my buck

Post by j.krug »

Congrats on a great hunt Tyler. Way to go! :)
Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get one with your bow when the time is right.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
capt stan

Post by capt stan »

Congrats!
maple

Post by maple »

Well done Tyler.

Good shooting. That's a fine buck you got there.

Maple
longshot

Post by longshot »

Dad told me last night that he found someone local that does European mounts so he is going to take the head to him after it freezes. It won't be finished until the spring so it will be a great birthday gift in April :D .

Thanks for all of the kind words folks!!!
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

CONGRATS!!
The best things in life are not things!!
Gewehrhund

Post by Gewehrhund »

Congrats! I love the .308
2011 Vortex w/S5
Fire Bolts w/rage 100 gn for deer
Fire Bolts w/bolt cutters for everything else
.338 Ruger compact mag
Nikon Pro Staff LRF
Excal FFF string
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

longshot wrote:Dad told me last night that he found someone local that does European mounts so he is going to take the head to him after it freezes.
Congrats on the deer! :D But you can do a European mount yourself. It would be a good project for you.

The easiest way (unless you have beetles to clean the skull) is to get all of the skin off the head and then soak it in tub of water for a few months, until all of the meat rots off. Make sure you keep the antlers out of the water though.

After taking it out of the water, rinse it off with a water hose. Get several bottle of hydrogen peroxide and mix it 50/50 with water in the tub again, keeping the stuff off the antlers. Let it sit in this for about a day and then take it out and rinse it off with water and let it dry.

That's it! There's a guy somewhere in NC that makes the mounting bases for European mounts. I'll have to see if I can find the link. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
longshot

Post by longshot »

Big58cal wrote:
longshot wrote:Dad told me last night that he found someone local that does European mounts so he is going to take the head to him after it freezes.
Congrats on the deer! :D But you can do a European mount yourself. It would be a good project for you.

The easiest way (unless you have beetles to clean the skull) is to get all of the skin off the head and then soak it in tub of water for a few months, until all of the meat rots off. Make sure you keep the antlers out of the water though.

After taking it out of the water, rinse it off with a water hose. Get several bottle of hydrogen peroxide and mix it 50/50 with water in the tub again, keeping the stuff off the antlers. Let it sit in this for about a day and then take it out and rinse it off with water and let it dry.

That's it! There's a guy somewhere in NC that makes the mounting bases for European mounts. I'll have to see if I can find the link. :wink:

If you are talking about RacPlaques.com that is the guy that is doing the entire mount including the bleaching proccess. He gave dad a great price. I'll have to practice on something smaller :lol: :lol: :lol: .
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Congrat's Tyler !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

longshot wrote:If you are talking about RacPlaques.com that is the guy that is doing the entire mount including the bleaching proccess. He gave dad a great price. I'll have to practice on something smaller :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Yep, that's the place! A friend of mine in Hayward County (?) turned me onto them. I got a base from them a few years ago made of cedar for a little messed up rack I had that I was trying the process on. It didn't turn out too bad, if I do say so myself. :wink:

If I can do a European mount, anyone can! :lol:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.