deer getting hit by cars

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dschnarr

deer getting hit by cars

Post by dschnarr »

In the last week there have been 3 deer hit on the highway by the property that I hunt on. Today my wife just drove by the farm and the road crew just cleaned up the road and she saw a big buck in the back of the truck. I think I will move my tree stand to the side of the highway.
Bowster

Re: deer getting hit by cars

Post by Bowster »

Found this guy on the side of the road during the first Shotgun hunt. This brought the total to 3 road kill bucks in the area around where I hunt.

What a waste....

A Ford Focus was demolished after hitting this one broadside.

If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
Fletcher1

Post by Fletcher1 »

hankenhunter wrote:Actually, thats not a bad idea. I have taken two deer by finding where they cross and moved twenty yards away along the road and sat with my back against the bank. With all the swirling air and human smell it is hard to get busted. Both deer presented a perfect quarter/broadside shot and took off away from the highway in the direction they were facing. That was my only worry, that they would run back over the highway to die twice.
But, like my Dad always says, a deer will always run in the direction they are facing when shot. There's also the added bonus of freaking out cyclists when a talking bush says hi to them as they pass by. :lol:
Hank
That may be true in Canada but not so in Illinois. I have had them run every which way when shot. I prefer they fall in their tracks. LOL
Kelley
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

A friend of mine shot a doe with his Exocet and it ran arcoss the highway and was hit by an old lady in a car. My friend got out of his stand and went and talked to her. He told her he shot the deer and wanted it if she didn't. The lady told him she already called her son to come and get it. :roll: Legally, I guess it would be hers since she killed it. Just think if it would have been a big buck...my friend would have been out of luck. :( Gary
DanO

Post by DanO »

A friend travelled through Michigan last week and she couldn't get over the number of road killed deer. Could someone explain why? I assume you just have that many more deer?

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Funny...VixChix got a hold of me today because one of her neighbours showed up with a button buck that had been hit. Neither she nor TPM had the time to deal with it, so, they called in the 'Roadkill Gourmet', also known as 'The Urban Redneck', to take care of it. :lol:

Little bugger's hanging in my garage, skinned out and in real good shape for being hit by a vehicle and shot by one of Waterloo Region's finest. :mrgreen:
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Roadkill was delivered to my door just as I was headed out to meet my Mom. Timing is everything. :lol:

Thank you Ryan for coming so quickly!

Was very glad you came to gut it in the driveway. I wasn't sure the other help was going to be ok with it if I had to do it. lol Unfortunately we wouldn't have had the time tonight. Glad it was in such good shape and that you can use it!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

hankenhunter wrote:But, like my Dad always says, a deer will always run in the direction they are facing when shot.
That's not always true. From what I've seen, they'll turn and go back the way they came a lot of time. Year before last, I got 2 deer. Both turned and went back the way they came after being shot. Last year I got 1. It veered off to it's right after the shot. The 2 this year, one kept going in the direction it was facing, the other went back the way it came. :wink:

Here's a picture from a road kill in KY this year.

Right now is the rut, so the deer are moving more, plus they're moving into areas they are less familiar with looking for does.

As for setting up near the road to hunt, check the regulations where you hunt. In some places you have to be "X" yards away from any road before hunting. Also, watch hunting near any roads because if you shoot a deer and it runs out and causes an accident, you could be held liable for it, since you "technically" caused the deer to run.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
muskyman454

Post by muskyman454 »

I think that the rut is what causes most of it.like big 58 said.