Arrows Stink

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

trackeral1

Arrows Stink

Post by trackeral1 »

I found myself running short on arrows this season due to breakage and loss so I made some more. I left them outside for a week and sprayed them several times with scent neutralizing formula. The fist morning I took the new arrows to the woods the first two dear scented me and took off. I went back to my truck removed the new arrows and replaced them with my last two old ones. Went back to the woods with no more problems with the deer scenting me the rest of the day. There was no doubt that the new arrows were the scent problem. I usually build my arrows and hang them outside for 8 or 9 months before I hunt with them but this year I do not have that luxury. I suspect the fletching glue of being the scent problem. Does anyone know of a no scent or low scent fletching glue that really works? Or maybe some way to eliminate the smell of these glues quickly? The two glues I use now are Gorilla super glue and Goat Tuff. Any help would be appreciate since I am down to my last arrow thanks to a turkey that had a fight with my other arrow. The fight turned out to be a draw, the turkey broke the arrow but the arrow killed the turkey a trade I would take any day if I wasn't down to my last arrow that doesn't stink!! ( I should have known better, but we need something more for Christmas than the same old Deer, Elk, Rabbit, Quail, Pheasant and fish..... feelin' sorry for me yet?)
GaryM

Re: Arrows Stink

Post by GaryM »

trackeral1 wrote: There was no doubt that the new arrows were the scent problem.
I don't see how you can draw this conclusion. It's possible, but to say there is no doubt is a stretch for sure. The first deer could have spooked off for any number of reasons. Gary
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trackeral1

Post by trackeral1 »

The glue on the arrows is definitely the problem. I work with a unit that uses dogs to check the effectiveness of our scent control. So far despite our best efforts the dogs have hit on the new completely assembled arrows 100% of the time verses 25% on the vanes and 12.5% for the shafts. Through out the years we have found some very effective scent neutralizing formulas (non commercial) and cover scents (area dependent) that have worked well for us covering human scent but have been ineffective at covering the scent from the glue. A major portion or our work is in urban areas on small plots of land were we are not afforded the luxury of correct stand placement. Many times we have no choice but to set up directly up wind from the deer, making 100% scent control a must.I am still looking for suggestions on no scent glue or an effective cover up for the oder of the glue. Surely we are not the fist people to have encountered this problem are we?
JohnDoeHunter

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

I soak my arrows in blood from the tip to the nock to cover their scent. Works great.
John
JohnDoeHunter

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

trackeral1 wrote:The glue on the arrows is definitely the problem. I work with a unit that uses dogs to check the effectiveness of our scent control. So far despite our best efforts the dogs have hit on the new completely assembled arrows 100% of the time verses 25% on the vanes and 12.5% for the shafts. Through out the years we have found some very effective scent neutralizing formulas (non commercial) and cover scents (area dependent) that have worked well for us covering human scent but have been ineffective at covering the scent from the glue. A major portion or our work is in urban areas on small plots of land were we are not afforded the luxury of correct stand placement. Many times we have no choice but to set up directly up wind from the deer, making 100% scent control a must.I am still looking for suggestions on no scent glue or an effective cover up for the oder of the glue. Surely we are not the fist people to have encountered this problem are we?
I'm a little slow, but what purpose would a dog trained to hit on the scent of glue serve?
John
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

If you feel a deer smelled your arrows, its means the wind was blowing towards it, which also means its far more likely the deer smelled you. A human odour is more likely to spook than a synthetic odour.

think about it, We all hunt with our arrows as soon as we get them, not too many will wait a year before using them. Same as a brand new bow.. That brand new plastic has to create an odour, but many people harvest an animal on the first day of taking their bow out of the box! I use gorilla glue for my inserts and krazy glue for the vanes and never had a problem. And i reek of a mixture of diesel fuel and gasoline :D Im convinced that this is the best cover scent available!!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
roly

Post by roly »

I hunted with a old fella that always put gasoline
on his hat
He shot a lot of deer
trackeral1

Post by trackeral1 »

These dogs are trained to hit aggressively on any number of scents as it pertains to firearms, drugs and explosives. The part of there training that we participate in and use to evaluate scent control is the evidence training. When the training is complete these dogs are used to find evidence in outdoor crime scenes. The are trained to hit on anything that is not natural to that environment, cloth, fibers,cigarette butts, hair, blood ,urine and yes and even fletching glue if it was present at the scene. Working with these dogs has provided us with invaluable research and knowledge into better scent control. The dogs never fail to amaze me they have taught us much more than we will ever be able to teach them it is a humbling and gratifying experience to get to work with them. They are an important tool in keeping this country safe. Hope that answers your question about what purpose a dog trained to hit on the scent of glue would serve.
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

Interesting job you must have. Have you tried smoke yet, wood, leaves, etc. I have experimented lately with a bee-keepers smoke pot lately with good results. Don't know if it will cover glue scent.
Exomax
Lumizone
Boo Trigger
Firebolts
125 Stricnines
JohnDoeHunter

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

"trackeral1" a dog that hits aggressively on explosives could be a problem. But thank-you for the explanation. On your original topic, I have bow hunted for 25 years and have killed several large bucks inside 20 yards even with freshly fletched arrows and have never had the problem you mentioned. It is impossible to be 100% scent free, I do my best as most people do and use some products to help out further. However, in my experience most of these products are gimmicks designed to take your money. The wind is our best help. You mentioned that you couldn't always set up with good positions. I take that as you may be working in some form of wildlife control. If that is the case, I would suggest a suppressed rifle in 300 Whisper or a suppressed 458 SOCOM. Both are far more effective silent killers than archery tackle and have a longer range, so scent control is less of a problem. If you are an urban hunter this will not help you out and would probably be illegal.
John
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

one shot scott wrote:If you feel a deer smelled your arrows, its means the wind was blowing towards it, which also means its far more likely the deer smelled you. A human odour is more likely to spook than a synthetic odour.

think about it, We all hunt with our arrows as soon as we get them, not too many will wait a year before using them. Same as a brand new bow.. That brand new plastic has to create an odour, but many people harvest an animal on the first day of taking their bow out of the box! I use gorilla glue for my inserts and krazy glue for the vanes and never had a problem. And i reek of a mixture of diesel fuel and gasoline :D Im convinced that this is the best cover scent available!!

This is exactly what I'm thinking too cept I lack the scent of diesel fuel. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Words escape me.
"Eze 18:21"
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

awshucks wrote:Words escape me.
Got me stumped too. :shock:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
JohnDoeHunter

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

I'm just glad I am hunting deer and not glue sniffing dogs.
John