A pretty sturdy bear... don't you guys think?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Panhandler80

A pretty sturdy bear... don't you guys think?

Post by Panhandler80 »

I'm in NW Florida and have lots and lots of bears that have used this little 40 acres piece for years. Over the years I have had as many as seveal small boars, two sows with cubs (up to 3), and several small 2 year old bears that would come and go as they pleased.

Well, this big bastid moved in before Thanksgiving last year, and he is pretty much the only bear that I see any more. I'll occasionally get a different smaller boar on film, but this fella is sure enough the king daddy and he has the scarred up face to prove it.

Anyway, my past two sits I have seen him. I actually got some video this past Saturday on my phone, but my phone won't let me email it anywhere. ???? I guess it's too big.

Wish I could post the video. It is not the highest quality in the world, but when you see this guy MOVE he looks twice as big as he does in these still shots. Just the way he carries himself, and his huge fat butt, and big stocky shoulders. He just lumbers around and moves so slowly and with so much confidence; not a care in the world. A really cool animal... even though I'm sick of him being around all the p-pickin' time!

Sure wish I was allowed to pop him because he's pretty much trophy status in most states. I'm not sure if he is the longest bear in the world, but he is sure enough fat. His neck and shoulders are so wide they make his noggin look like a little pinhead.

Anyway, here in Florida you can't hunt them. This guy looks like a trophy to me, but I'd like to see what our friends north of the boder have to say... as well as those in bear-hunting states down here.

He looks pretty big to me on film. He looks even bigger in person, and he looks downright HUGE when you watch him walk.

In this first pic you can see the bloody scarred up area behind his right eye.

Check out his ears in this pic... they look like they are at 3:00 and 9:00 on his fat head

Again, maybe not the longest bear in the world, but he ain't exactly short, either...

"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
JohnDoeHunter

Re: A pretty sturdy bear... don't you guys think?

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

Sturdy is an understatement, that hoss is built like a tank! He would be a bear of a lifetime and I have seen more than a few.
John
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I would say thats a sure enuff whopper fer Florida. Sure wish we had alot of Bears & a season. I have thought about shootin one over the yrs. I don't want one bad enuff to spend $1500 fer a hunt.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

yessir he would be a Hoss here in so. miss. i saw one here about 3yrs. ago bout that high but not as bulky and my buddy with me said he,d go 300..that dude is a trophy i,m thinkin..like to know what he would weigh..375 plus??
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

He qualifies. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Panhandler80

Post by Panhandler80 »

I have no clue. I have probably seen 20 different bears at this property, but obviously I've never put one in the dirt. SO... I have zero experience field judging them... having never been able to confirm how big I might THINK one is.

I can tell you that after having seen mabye 20 different bears on maybe 40 occasions, that this guy absolutely takes your breath away when you see him in person.

He's definitely a brute and he has definitely run every bear off.

I don't even want to think about what he might weigh due to the fact that I just don't know enough about it. I have shown people around here the pics and I get the typical redneck, "Dang! That SOB probably weights 600 lbs. You bow hunt in the fall with him out there wit you. Dang!"

:roll:

Anyway, I know they are still pics, so it's hard to judge him, but the weight guess was one of the reasons I posted. I visited some Canada pay hunt websites, and they have some 375 and even 400 punders pictured. I don't know if this guy is that big or not, but I know he's a nice one.

Knowing my luck, he'll probably stick around my property until we get a season and then he'll be nowhere to be found.

Regrdless of weight, I know he's mature bear. His hears look like they're on the side of his head, his neck is bigger around than his skull, his belly hangs so low, and MOST IMPROTATLY, is watching him in person. He walks almost like he's bow-legged, and he sways side to side... right hip jutting out when right back leg forward and I swear it looks like it pushes if front half to the left when he steps. It's REALLY COOL to watch after having seen so many average black bears so many times.

Definitely in a class of his own for bears down here (and perhaps most places).

Sure would like to add that skull to my collection!
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
JohnDoeHunter

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

bucknbill wrote:that dude is a trophy i,m thinkin..like to know what he would weigh..375 plus??
375 plus, plus!!! That is a quarter ton of bear.
John
Bones

Post by Bones »

Yes he is a nice one!! He sure isn't starving. Deep body on him.
Bones
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

What do you feed him alligators he is huge :shock:
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
wabi

Post by wabi »

If I was hunting bears I sure wouldn't pass on that one. :shock:
wabi
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Well.... he's "sturdy" enough to give me nightmares!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
I know s*** about bears...but he's a member of the 350 club all day!! 8)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Cyclonic

Post by Cyclonic »

My cousin kills a lot of bears, in three states. From his pictures I have seen, that bear probably goes 400-425 lbs. A trophy black bear for sure. Did any-one else notice, the bear is so big, the feet look small? :lol:
Home-Brewers Drink Better Beer!
Exomax
Vapor Trail Strings
Gold Tip Laser III's
Crimson Talon
Ogden's Outdoors
Bullet74

Post by Bullet74 »

I've been hunting bears all my life here in Ontario, and that bear is 350 + I'm sure. When the ears on a bear look small, you know you got a good bear in front of you.

Marc
A BAD DAY HUNTING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

That right there is a nice big bear! Too bad no season in Florida.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads