Excalibur Revamped

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Extreme

Excalibur Revamped

Post by Extreme »

First off I would like to clearly state that the Excalibur line of crossbows are great,not slamming them in any way.
Reading hunting forums and talking first hand to many people it seems the only complaint anyone has with an Excalibur crossbow is the cumbersome width of the limbs.
The simplicity and ease of replacing strings is great but what about the ones that are asking for something a little more compact with the simplicity of recurve limbs.Is it not possible to make the limbs a bit shorter and stiffer?
Compound crossbows are more manuverable but the simplicity is out the window if one needs to change the string out in the field.Hard to weigh the pro's and cons when buying a new bow.
If Excalibur were to make something like the Vortex as an example with shorter limbs it would be a no brainer.
I know that Excalibur is a Canadian owned company with probably the best Trigger/Safety in the business and are rock solid performers in the field.Other then all the pros and cons of different brands like compound VS Recurve what turned you to the Excalibur line of bows VS say the Ten Point models?

My Dream Crossbow---Bring back the old Paradox with the thumb hole stock and replaceable string setup that APA has.Insert a pin and change string in field. :D
Matrix 355
one shot scott

Re: Excalibur Revamped

Post by one shot scott »

If you want something compact, buy a wheeled crossbow. Recurve limbs are always going to be wider, its the nature of the beast. Sure with a new technology an inch or two may be shaved off, but for the most part i dont know if much can be done. Its for this reason that there is no perfect crossbow for every condition. I gots ta say: The width has not hindered me at all. I hunt from stands and blinds and never smacked a limb against any of those things yet. but for the stalkers in thick brush it may not be ideal. Excal may not be for everyone.

The trade off of limb width vs reliability is priceless to me. How does excalibur compare to the other recurve crossbow limbs from tenpoint and the others? are they generally all close to the same width?
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Extreme

Post by Extreme »

Other then all the pros and cons of different brands like compound VS Recurve what turned you to the Excalibur line of bows VS say the Ten Point models?
My appologies for not being specific.Excalibur Recurve VS Ten Point compound and the like
Matrix 355
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i have learned to get around the only con if that is one about excalibur crossbows :wink: ....i can say my crossbow is bigger then yours :lol: .......bob

Last edited by bob1961 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

We all can hope fer some worthy changes, possibly limb length. I hear that many new crossbows & their companys will be at the Trade show in mid Jan. So thar maybe something you like, hope so.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Extreme wrote:what turned you to the Excalibur line of bows VS say the Ten Point models?

#1: I made my choice based on the past experience of excal owners I knew re: customer service

My personal experiences: Years ago I dryfired my bow with the Flemish string installed and splintered a limb, they replaced the limbs no questions asked, and only for the price of postage! (shipping was very fast) Or more recently: had a scope that went south. "Ship it back and we will get one out to you asap" after I explained It was not a manufacturing defect and insist they charge me for it they still stood behind their product and shipped one to me at no cost. There have been a few other things, and not once did they hesitate to make sure i was a satisfied customer. If you really want to know what they have all done for me give me a pm and I will let you know. These guys work hard at keeping their customers happy. A very rare attitude these days.

#2: the simplicity of the bow, and the fact they are located so close to me.

Ten point.....I have heard good things about them, but i chose excal and dont have any regrets. They are all about reliability. The compounds are great but not as reliable as the recurve. If the technology is there you can bet they would think of reducing the limb width since like you say, its the one complaint. Time will tell if it becomes a possibility.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Extreme wrote:
Other then all the pros and cons of different brands like compound VS Recurve what turned you to the Excalibur line of bows VS say the Ten Point models?
My appologies for not being specific.Excalibur Recurve VS Ten Point compound and the like
Dependabiltiy & lightweight & no Bowpress! Plus they have fairly decent speed & alum. rail!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

i don,t know if the technology is there yet to have a "narrow" type recurve crossbow and it still be an affordable workhorse like excal..i would think the width gives more speed and certainly helps take some stress off the bend of the limbs by making a longer bend instead of a short one..and making it almost bullet proof reliable..but i,m not a rocket scientist either :lol:..oh yeah, i left the wheel bows behind because of the reliability and simple design of excal..you gotta lov,em :D
I do have an orphen bow press now..real dusty too
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Simplicity and customer service are what sold me. Yeah, there's faster ones out there, but what are the benefits? More speed + the arrow weight equals more energy. At the levels we're talking about on crossbows, the only benefit of more energy is that it buries the arrow in the ground a little deeper on the other side of the deer. As long as you make it through one, does it really matter?

Customer sevice as also second to none. PERIOD!

The width, you get used to. An Excalibur is the only crossbow I've ever known. To me, the width isn't an issue. There may be some that aren't as wide, but I'm used to the Excal, have made it work for me, and don't have any complaints.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Warranty and reputation for customer service
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
wayne

Post by wayne »

I don't think making recurve type limb as small as a compound type crossbow is possible, unless your willing to give up something, & I think that you would maybe give up how accurate it is. And for sure, how RELIABLE the recurve type crossbow design is, (the poundage it would take, would be just to much stress on the trigger, string, etc. if ya could even cock the thing with a rope). As ya add the thing you would need to do this would defeat the reason I bought an excalibur in the 1st place. One of the many reasons I bought excalibur's is they have less parts, (i.e. no auto safties (I feel, I'am the most reliable safty for my bow), no anti dry fire, etc.). I have found for me anyway the more moving parts, the more things that think for ya, the more that goes wrong while hunting.
But that being said, I would sure like a flat black, with some kind of a rubber coated type stock, Vortex :lol: :lol: :lol: hint, hint :D
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

If you are a good enough hunter you could wack them with a sledge hammer. Adapt to what you have and enjoy yourself.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I chose Excalibur over any compound crossbow for the simple reasons I can work on it, lifetime warranty and the thousands of happy customers who say they would own nothing else.

I have dryfired my bow once and it is still here you make that mistake with a compound and your in for an expensive repair.(if repairable at all)

I did have a compound before and had an issue with it and received no support from the manufacturer.

My 2 cents
Tenpoint Matrix
Extreme

Post by Extreme »

But that being said, I would sure like a flat black, with some kind of a rubber coated type stock, Vortex hint, hint
I can live with that.A rubber coating on the stock weather it be black or camo would really quiet it down ,also provide a great grip to it
Matrix 355
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

A buddy bought an excal in the early 90s.
I bought my first one, an exocet in 97.
There weren't very many options back then but everyone that had one was very satisfied, just like today.

I doubt that any other manufacturer of crossbows has worked as hard at expanding hunting opportunities.

My hats off to excal for a job well done.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"