Just my luck!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

j.krug

Just my luck!!

Post by j.krug »

Well I've been out hunting quite a bit lately but haven't managed to fill a tag yet. I've seen deer almost everytime out but haven't got a shot off yet for various reasons....too far away....came to call but ran right on by....before legal light....and so on.

I was supposed to work today but decided to start my holiday time off a day early. I also decided to go for a quick sit in the tree this morning. It was a perfect morning, cold and crisp and there was a light dusting of snow on the ground. The snow allowed me to use my ice fishing sled to haul all my stuff back instead of carrying it all on my back. Even brought a full bag of corn back which was nice not to have to carry it the kilomitre back to the stand.

I put the corn down on my 2 bait piles, stashed the sled and up into the tree I went. There was deer tracks all over in the fresh snow from last night so that was a great sign. Once my bow was cocked and loaded I organized my gear and settled in for a nice morning in my tree. Once it was light enough I began to constantly scan the field and the neighbouring fields around me for any movement or signs of deer. No deer to be seen but the bluejays and woodpeckers where fun to watch as the sun came up.

It was getting to be almost 9 am and having not seen any movement I decided to call it a day because I still had lots to do today to get ready for Christmas. I took one last scan of the area thru the binos then unloaded my bow and lowered my gear to the ground. I then climbed down and walked a few yards over to my camera to swap out the card before heading back to the truck. Once the card was changed I turned to walk back to my gear and what do I see???

Standing there in the middle of the field about 80 yards away is a herd of about 20-25 deer standing there watching me fiddle with my camera. :shock: I couldn't believe it!! Quickly I stepped sideways into some brushy cover hoping they where all blind or somehow didn't see me. No such luck. Up went their tails and they turned in unison and trotted off accross the field and over into the bush in the neighbours field. I couldn't believe it!! It's like they appeared out of nowhere as they often do.

I'm hoping that I didn't scare them off as there's not alot of hunting time left. They didn't seem too paniced and they stopped a couple times to look back as they went. I remained hidden until they where out of sight in the woods.

Heart broken and dejected (very dramatic :lol: ) I loaded my gear into the sled and trudged back to the truck kicking myself in the butt every few steps or so as I went (more drama!).

I can't help but wonder what would have happened if I stayed in the tree until 9:30 as I had origionally planned to do?? I guess I'll never know (weeping openly now)?? Oh well I'll be back out again to give it another go on boxing day morning. Still a bit of sand left in the hour glass.

Wish me luck!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
maple

Re: Just my luck!!

Post by maple »

No problem!!

The corn will keep them coming.

All you have done is piqued their curiosity.

They'll be back. Will you?

Maple
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

I wish you the BEST of luck. crap happens. Its a shame you get so emotional. :lol:
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not laughing at you but with you my brother!!! :wink:
I sat in my stand last year till 9:45 am, lowered my bow & threw the rope down, stood up and what walks out of the thicket and proceeds to come to me drawed on a string...porky pig!! :roll: :lol:
I know how you feel. :!:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've sat for hours many times then had them walk in as I lowered my bow from the stand. :roll:
I think they hide in the brush unseen, then when they see you leaving they ring the dinner bell. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep trying, they'll be back. :wink:
wabi
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

i know how that feels..i have sometimes got impatient and 20 minutes longer would make a bunch of difference..but you got,em liking corn..they,ll be back, hopfully in daylight..good luck
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Best of luck Jim!!
By the way how was your trip to Cabela's?
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

As I read of your plight memories of my own such folly come to mind.
I have no doubt that every one who has hunted deer has been outwitted by them.
They don't carry watches but they seem to figure out our schedules pretty well.
It'll be all the sweeter when you get the drop on one of them!! :wink: :D
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Yeah that's a kick in the as. Here's hoping the herd heads your way next time man.

I had a doe at 30 yards tonight. I was hunting with a bud and my intention was to get him some venison. All I managed to do was give 'er a slight haircut :| i dont know where it went so wrong? That's a first for me. she didn't even run after the shot, even after my brand new arrow and broadhead connected hard with the tree behind her with a thunderous CRACK
merry Christmas deer, you get another year :lol:

Crap.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
muskyman454

Post by muskyman454 »

they will be back i see the same three deer every night and they have seen me twice and ran off this has been going on for a week now and i might get a shot today? i keep moving and so do they! :D
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

maple wrote:No problem!!

The corn will keep them coming.

All you have done is piqued their curiosity.

They'll be back. Will you?

Maple

You better believe I'll be back....Boxing Day morning at 6:30 am you'll find me up in my favourite tree for another go round! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Onetimeonly x--> wrote:Best of luck Jim!!
By the way how was your trip to Cabela's?
My trip to Cabela's was very productive! The main item I was looking for was a pack for hunting. I'm a big fella and I have a hard time finding a pack to fit me well when I'm all bundled up in my layers of winter hunting clothes. Found exactly what I needed there. :) It's the Cabela's All Day Transporter Fanny Pack. I'll be usibg it tomorrow first thing. Tried to post a link but failed. :?

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads