Frontal Shot?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Re: Frontal Shot?

Post by vixenmaster »

I shot down through this nannys neck & out her brisket frontal, i love these gimmies

Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

pic looks like he's eatin peanuts in you shirt pocket, you baitin 'em in that close, Mikey?

Was he a Mo deer or another stolen one of my Ar critters? :mrgreen:

I'm trying to get another batch of salmon smoked before y'all get here for trading matl. I know you been cannin a bunch and feedin the needy. May change Chris's name to needy, he's eatin like a horse.
"Eze 18:21"
muskyman454

Post by muskyman454 »

every time i get that shot i will take it! it puts them down fast.i shot one this year that way and in 30 yards it was stumbling and it didn't go hundred.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

awshucks wrote:pic looks like he's eatin peanuts in you shirt pocket, you baitin 'em in that close, Mikey?

Was he a Mo deer or another stolen one of my Ar critters? :mrgreen:

I'm trying to get another batch of salmon smoked before y'all get here for trading matl. I know you been cannin a bunch and feedin the needy. May change Chris's name to needy, he's eatin like a horse.
Yes i use peanuts popcorn cotton candy candied apples, it makes them come right up to me. :lol: One was a deer from Tn. when i lived there the Doe is Mo. my 1st yr over here. I can bring another qt of vension, i will make it 4.
Half Bubble Off BD360

vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I thought about this & pondered some last nite & i figure i should say sumpin here. I spect most of the older Forum members knowed i be an old crusty fart & have been hunting since 1957. I take these frontal shots but i have been doing it as long as dirt has been around. So those who are new to crossbow hunting, the frontal shots are either yes or no in yer mind! If'en you have any neg. thoughts then don't make the shot as you will have to live with the end results! All hunting of big game is a learning curve, shots will happen that maynot be the best but still it can be a killing shot. Fer the most part i use heavier arrow weight much more than most others on the Forum. When i hunt n use my junk arrows they are mostly light weight & i shoot deer/hogs through the ribcage. When i use my logs i am taking any shot presented to me out to 35 yds. I want my arrow to hit like a mack truck break bones & go out the other side. I am not interested in shooting deer with them at 50 yds as Miss Vixen is too slow fer that range.
Half Bubble Off BD360

Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Sir, you don't have to defend yourself to me.
I take no offence to your style of hunting.

Over the last 30 years I have read my hunting articles by Chuck Adams.
Back in his early hunting career, he wore a brown knit cap and regular street clothes.
Now he is all about promotion.
Anyway, I remember more than one article where he talked about taking shots both front and rear. He showed specific aim points to target. He also wrote about how quick the recoveries were.

Deer are scarce and hard to come by for me.
I may only see a couple dozen deer all hunting season from my stand.
You likely have shot more deer than I will ever see, but that's ok.
I usually get one for the freezer anyway. Sometimes I get a GFG in the way of a fresh roadkill. [Gift From God]

As I said at the start, you don't have to defend yourself to me!!
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Yep, what he said! ^( and he said it very well)

In hunting everyone has an opinion and different skill levels. I won't take the shot because of inexperience but I won't judge someone who does. Smokie appears to have it down to a fine art!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
rayman

Post by rayman »

I try to avoid frontal shots with a rifle or anything else, but have taken them and can't remember loosing a deer when i did. Just don't like them. Feel more comfortable with a broadside and usually wait. Talked to a guy once who did crop damage deer removal and he said that a front brisket was his favorite shot. I don't like head or neck shots either because they are always moving, but one of my hunting buddies almost always takes them on anything less than 100 yards or so because I ragged him about not shooting a hog in the head once(modern rifle of coarse).

Whatever work for ya eh! :)
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I've never tried the shot. My reason is, if you are seeing the front, the deer is usually seeing you and I'm hard to miss these days! :D
"Eze 18:21"
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

vixenmaster wrote::lol: I'll shoot them varmits from any position but a Tx. heart shot. The only reason i don't take them is cause those guts are messy getting yuck all over the inside of the deer :D
I totally agree. I don't like the smell, the mess, or ruining the tender loins with busted guts. About 3 years ago, I was ground hunting and had a big ole doe at 15 yards looking straight at me. Must have stood there for 2-3 minutes. I was tempted to shoot but that neck could move in a flash and if I shot for the middle of her chest, the bolt would come out her butt. 2 weeks later, I had her at 30 yards broadside and she came home with me.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Sopchoppy wrote:I totally agree. I don't like the smell, the mess, or ruining the tender loins with busted guts.
I've never lost any meat due to a shot through the gut.
I've lost more meat form old wounds trying to heal over.

Rinse the inside of the carcas as soon as you can.
I usually bring a jug of water with me to the field dressing site just for this.
Once home the deer will be skinned and wipped down with a very mils solution of vinegar and water.
The deer will then be hung for aging for up to 10 days but usually a week. The longer it is hung the more tender the meat will be. My butcher will hang beef for me for 2 weeks and it's the most tender and very tasty.

The internal cavity has a protective lining and the only meat lost will be where you actually cut through it.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I don't prefer a frontal shot, but I have taken two with my Exomax with perfect results. In both cases, my target was the spine not the vitals. In both cases I was at ground level with the deer and both were 20 yards away. I shot a doe in the white patch under the chin as she was looking right at me. I shot a small buck lower in the neck as he was walking closer to 'figure out what I was'. Both of them dropped in their tracks.

I'm sure you could potentially make a kill shot aiming for the vitals from the front, but as many other have said there is a lot of bone in the area. It is a much easier shot from ground level. Depending on the angle, a frontal shot could end up with an arrow exiting the gut. You could end up with great internal damage, but little blood exiting the chest (depending on the broad head). That is why I preferred to aim for the spine on a frontal shot. I wouldn't take that shot with my compound bow, but I can't consistently hit quarters at 20 yards with it either. 8)

It is a possible shot, but one I avoid.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: