Old magazine...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TPM

Old magazine...

Post by TPM »

A friend and fellow forum member picked this up for us recently at an antique market. It's a February 1949 edition of "Outdoors" magazine. Some of you know how much I love the classic outdoors writers and this magazine has no shortage of them. The Editor is H.G. Tapply who went on to write for Field & Stream. He was an avid bird hunter and close friend and hunting buddy of Burton Spiller who in my opinion is one of the greatest upland writers of all time. His son Bill Tapply followed in his father's footsteps and went on to write a piece called "Burt's Gun", one of my favourite outdoors stories. There are also fishing articles by Lee Wulf and Ed Zern. Both went on to be great writers in their own right. I especially like the ads. Check out the brand new Marlin 336 30-30 carbines for $58.75!
I love this stuff! :D

Last edited by TPM on Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
strum

Re: Old magazine...

Post by strum »

i realy like the add for the checkering tools $3.50 postage paid..ill take a set :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

And still just 20 cents per copy !! :lol:
wabi

Post by wabi »

I also find it interesting that back in those days the focus of outdoor magazines was much more concentrated on small game hunting. :?

I don't know about other areas, but here in southern Ohio our hunting was for squirrel, rabbit, coon, groundhog, fox (red and gray), ruffed grouse, and quail. A short drive north would find pheasants.
Deer were a rare sighting, and wild turkey was unheard of.

Has the game plan shifted all over North America?

Today there are plenty of deer and turkeys, and coyotes are increasing.
Still a good number of squirrels and coon around. But groundhogs, fox, grouse and quail are becoming rare.
wabi
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

"Killers on the loose, facts about the cat problem" looks like it would be an interesting read
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

That's a great find for sure Tim. It's neat to take a trip to the past with magazines and books like that. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
maple

Post by maple »

Hey Tim!

You'll love the next Outdoor Life issue too (Mar. 1949, vol 103, #3).

Don't let your subscriptions expire!!

Maple
TPM

Post by TPM »

Wabi, I hear ya about small game hunting. When I was a kid very few people hunted deer in Southern Ontario. There was a guy who lived around the corner who traveled north to hunt deer at a camp every fall but other than that hunting around here meant heading out to a local farm on a Saturday morning to hunt rabbits or ducks or maybe shoot a few groundhogs. That was about it. Deer were very scarce and turkeys non existent. These days it's all about deer and turkeys and small game seems to have taken a back seat. It's really a shame. It's a lot of fun to head out with a couple of buddies with shotguns and a beagle or two and walk field edges and fence lines looking for bunnies. Even waterfowling has taken on a different flavour. Gone are the days of grabbing a dozen decoys, a duck call and your shotgun (the same one you used for rabbits last week-end) and going out to try to put a few ducks in the freezer. Now you need a trailer to carry your eight dozen decoys, your pop-open coffin blinds, your specialized shotgun with specialized choke tubes shooting specialized shells along with a lanyard holding four different "must have" duck calls. Too much of a "whack 'um and stack 'um" attitude these days. Anyway, enough of my ranting and rambling...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
TPM

Post by TPM »

Maple, awesome magazine! The cover artwork on these old magazines is amazing. You just don't see that sort of stuff anymore. :?

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

When AMERICA was still American
I am a hunter and proud of it.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Don't worry fellas, there are still some of us who appreciate good ol' fashioned hunting. Its our mission to restore our noble traditions, one cottontail at a time! :wink:

Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

I love those old magazine covers as the cover picture told the story. All of my hunting heritage is small game. In the 50's, when I started hunting with my dad, it was only squirrel, dove, and quail hunting in South Alabama. There were zero deer or turkey back then, except on the "reservation" at Fort Rucker and you had to draw a tag to hunt there. I started duck hunting when I was in high school in 65-67 and that became my favorite. I'm 62 now and my passion for hunting has not ceased but shifted to deer. I remeber the old Field and Stream and Sports Afield magazines kept my hunting fires burning. Thanks for sharing those covers. Also, I have some old Sears Roebuck catalogs from the 70's and the gun and ammo prices back then will make you cry! The Ted Williams 30-30, made by Winchester, was a sweetie.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
TPM

Post by TPM »

ninepointer wrote:Don't worry fellas, there are still some of us who appreciate good ol' fashioned hunting. Its our mission to restore our noble traditions, one cottontail at a time! :wink:

Awesome picture! The first thing I ever hunted was rabbits. Last time I was out was about three years ago. Great way to spend a Saturday!

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Way to go guys. I have a hound named Dixie, she is a part of the family, pretty mouth a house dog. I can't travel the woods like that anymore, I would too though. She is getting deaf and every once in a while when I let her out to do her duty, she takes off and makes a B-line for the woods. She must be smelling a bunny. No good to try and call her back anymore, she can't hear me anyway. She comes back and gives the door a tap on the door to come in when she is ready. I went and set a few rabbit cages but haven't caught one yet. Can't keep the apple in the cage, dang deer flip the cages and take the apple. I moved the cages into a different area and hope that the rabbits beat the deer to the cages. If not I may have to put on my heavy hunting clothes and take a seat in the bushes and get me a bigger bunny, :) .
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

In the back of the old mags you could buy all sorts of stuff. Around 1969 I bought 2 spring opening knives for $.99 +$.25 shipping ,It took 6 weeks to get them. I thought they were great . I always wanted one of those monkeys but my Mom would'nt let me , probably a good thing.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330