New Crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bellasboss

New Crossbow

Post by bellasboss »

I am in the market for a new crossbow. I thought I had it finally narrowed down to an excalibur equinox but then heard the Horton vision and scordpyd telsons being shot on you tube;wow they are really quiet. What are the pros and cons in your book to these newer reverse limb designs if any? Are their ruggedness and warranties as good? How bout trigger pull? Just an FYI I had a Parker Tornado and 10 pt Defender in the past. The trigger pull on the tornado was terrible and If I knew then what I know now I'd still have the Defender although it's balance and strings were not so great. Thanks for your help/opinions!
Louvp

Re: New Crossbow

Post by Louvp »

Have you shot a Excalibur? I would suggest you shoot one,then you will be an Excalibur owner. As to the Con of those reverse limb bows,one thing I think about is what happens when they blow up, you have the limbs coming back at your face. You wont regret buying an Excalibur,when you dry fire a compound you will be regretting that purchase.
Excal Axiom SMF
Firebolts / 2" Bohning Blazers
Muzzy 125 >>>------->
Primos Trigger Stick
Nikon ProStaff 550 Rangefinder
B3,

http://www.worldclasstaxidermy.net/
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Boo owns a Scorpyd, actually 2 i think. He would knowed alot more about them than those of us who don't or have only shot one a couple times. I have put Horton into the same class as Barnett wether user error of bad parts but sumpin is always breaking every month you shoot one. Parker seems to be running a race wid Barnett on how many limbs can go bad in a yr! :lol: I would wait til after the ATA show. Then try to shoot every model i was interested in & be informed about making a decision
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Excalibur will be the only brand of crossbow I ever own. You can't improve on perfection. :wink:

Seriously though, with an Excalibur it's a rarity that you ever even have to think about the warranty, but if something does happen, it's covered. They're tougher than anything else on the market and rarely have anything go wrong with them. They can be abused and still come back for more. If you mess something up in the field, you can generally fix it in the field instead of having to make a trip to a pro shop. Simple is best. There's others that are faster, quieter, lighter, more narrow, etc. But there aren't any as tough and accurate as an Excal. :D

Just remember, the more moving parts you have, the more opportunity there is for something to go wrong. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
derf

Post by derf »

I OWN 5 EXCALIBURS, 2 OLDER WOLVERINES, VORTEX, IBEX, PHOENIX. ALL ARE GREAT BOWS. WARRENTY IS AWSOME. IF IT BREAKS BECAUSE OF FALTY FACTORY WORK REPLACED FREE OF CHARGE. EVEN THERE EXCALIBUR SCOPES ARE THE SAME. I WOULD NOT CHANGE TO ANY OTHER BOW. BUT I DO RECOMENED THE S5 SYSTEM TO MAKE IT QUIETER, AND A FAST FLEMISH STRING THE SERVING ON THEM ARE SO MUCH TIGHTER AND STRONGER THAT THEY OUT LAST THE FACTORY STRING BY ALOT OF SHOTS. HIGHLY RECOMENDED. DERF
bellasboss

Post by bellasboss »

I have shot excaliburs which is one of the reasons that the equinox made it on my short list. :)
Louvp

Post by Louvp »

Sorry but you're probably not gonna get anyone on this Forum to recommend anything but Excalibur. Not because we are getting kick backs from Excalibur,they just make a great crossbow & more importantly the Company stands behind their product.the last reason is probably the most important one to me.Alot of companies sell you something & then they dont want nothing to do with you if you have a problem. I've never owned a compound crossbow. My nephew steered me towards Excalibur because alot of people were having issues with compounds. Excalibur uses the K.I.S.S. method for making crossbows (KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID) it makes for less problems.

Just remember there are 2 types of crossbow owners,those who have dry fired their crossbows,& those that will eventually dry fire their crossbow.When you do you will want an Excalibur. I'm already a member of the 1st group along with alot of others on this site.
Excal Axiom SMF
Firebolts / 2" Bohning Blazers
Muzzy 125 >>>------->
Primos Trigger Stick
Nikon ProStaff 550 Rangefinder
B3,

http://www.worldclasstaxidermy.net/
Tennessee Tom

Post by Tennessee Tom »

Once you get familar with the excal you can fix almost anything that goes wrong in the field cut strings etc ,, with any compound limbs may need timing ,, you must have a press to repair strings and cables ,, not gona gain much velocity ,, both my excals will shoot as well as my 10/22 Ruger ,, man it just really is no comparison .. I tried to help a friend of mine sight in a Horton ,, he never killed anything with that bow but time tryn to get it to work properly ,,,, EXCAL 4 ME !!!!!!!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I shot Boo's RDT 125. I really liked it and damn near bought one to add to my Excals.

As for noise, ala Danny Miller: " :) On a still night, a deaf man can hear the quietest xbow made".
"Eze 18:21"
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I've shot Scorpyd and the ARE very nice to shoot. Quiet & fast. However, but from what I've heard they seem prone to self-destructing. Not sure if those issues have been worked out and not a risk I'd be willing to take.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Have shot Excalibur Crossbows since 94 . A 165 # Exocet , 200# ExoMag , 200# Exocet , and a Relayer Y25 . Each of these crossbows have literally shot thousands of arrows ( I shoot 3d competitions regularly ) with NO troubles .

There has been two warranty issues for me and both were dealt with quickly and with no expense to me . The 1st was a scope that fogged up after hunting bear in heavy rain for a week ( an Early VariZone model ) . The 2nd was a limb splinter on my Exocet 200 . Call them and they had replacements at my door in about 3 days .

There may be faster crossbows , with high tech limbs and cam designs but none of this will beat the simple rugged design of Excalibur . Excalibur is darn near Bomb proof . Off the top of my head I can recall 15 people that shot Excalibur after spending a little time with me before getting their 1st crossbow .
Last reason for Excalibur is ease of maintainence . You change your own strings & do not need a press and there is no cams to go out of time. I have also tore down the whole limb assembly of and ExoMag 185 on a bear hunt . Riser off the rail , limbs off , added DB bars and reassembled . Set brace high and fired and arrow. No change to POI . How can you beat a design like this !!??
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

X2 on this and #4 Buck, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Excalibur isn't the only good crossbow out there. Sound like you need questions answered and the only way is to find out yourself otherwise you will always second guess your decision. Shoot as many brands as you can. even if you pick a different brand be sure to come here and post, we won't hold it against ya. Many here shoot multiple brands and types
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

[quote="awshucks"]
As for noise, ala Danny Miller: " :) On a still night, a deaf man can hear the quietest xbow made".[/quoteI

i have been deaf for 22 years now and can confim that statement :lol:
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I've owned and shot many deer with 2 different Horton Legends since 1995.....and switched to an Excalibur Vortex this year after yeat another $50 to a pro shop to change a stirng, and yet another set of limbs to replace the splintered ones ($150) IMHO Horton is not what is was in 1995. Quality is down.....for instance.....a buddy and I bought and split 72 carbon arrows from Horton...I shot all 36 of mine with the same field point and ended up with 4 groups of arrows....and each group was more than 2" big at 20 yards. Sighting in broadheads on those arrows was an adventure to say the least.

I still have the Horton's though, and shoot them from time to time. After shooting my Vortex, the Horton trigger seems like it is about a 50 pound pull. Plan on selling them both and buying another Excal for my son this summer.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><