Reserving a Flemish string

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ELLIS

Reserving a Flemish string

Post by ELLIS »

I usually get through a practice session and a 3D tournament before my serving goes. I am shooting an Equinox with 368 grain arrows.

When I say the serving goes, it will show fraying where the latch holds the string, serving separation or in the worse case the serving breaks where the latch holds it. When any of these occur, I change the string. Right now I am rotating three Flemish strings through my bow. I do follow Boo’s advice TO THE LETTER when it comes to waxing the serving (and string) and I do use Dalton’s wax.

For serving material I am using BCY Angel Majesty .026". I have noticed when I remove the old serving the Flemish string underneath seems bone dry and is dented by the Angel Majesty pressing into it. I find the dry part puzzling as the serving is drenched in Dalton’s wax after being reserved and allowed to be absorbed for a couple of days sitting, loosened, in a copy of Boo’s serving jig. At this time every inch of the rest of the string is waxed as well.

My question is how many times can I reserve the string? And while I am at it, how does one know when a string is finished?

Thanks
Equinox (2011)
Leupold VX-2 3-9x33mm Ultralight EFR Scope
HHA Optimizer
TriggerTech Target Trigger
OFAH Member
vixenmaster

Re: Reserving a Flemish string

Post by vixenmaster »

Yer string under the serving maybe staying dry because of prior wax in strands. I always reserve my strings until a strand breaks, then its no more good!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Dash

Re: Reserving a Flemish string

Post by Dash »

Ive been getting 3 servings out of flemish string no probs. By that time the strands were a bit tatty from nicks and abrasion, and well stretched, so I throw mine and bring a new one into the string rotation. I think it was Pydpiper who put a picture up of his string a while back, showing he got many more serves out of his with still no strands broken. But she was looking more than a bit hagged by then.