equinox vs vortex

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bellasboss

equinox vs vortex

Post by bellasboss »

So, I am trying to decide which of the two bows to buy. I am 56 yrs old with some arthitus problems but can still pull the equinox with some vigor. However, I'm concerned that in 5 or so yrs this may not be the case and I might want the lighter pulling bow. There is always the cocking aid too.

So does the loss of 20 or so fps going to mean more jumped strings or less effectiveness? How about noise levels; how do they compare?

What do you think? Does anyone have both bows? Thanks all, BB
Last edited by bellasboss on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
bigredopie

Re: eqinox vs vortex

Post by bigredopie »

I asked Dan Miller the same questions a month or so ago as he seems to be the authority on all things excalibur. The slight loss in speed is off set by reduced string and serving wear, less effort required to pull the string that last inch and obviously less vibration when shooting. There is also less effort required to pull the arrows out of the target when practicing. No worries about pulling them out of the deer as both have more than enough "oomph" to go through almost anything.

Talking with others that own both and almost everyone tells me the same thing. Equinox is a beast for hunting but the Vortex is the one they practice with.

Another option is to go with the Equinox and if it gets a bit hard to pull after a few years you could add a second bow to keep it company (or sell it) They are easy to sell but they are hard to give up and they seem to hold their value well as nothing but the string wears out.
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em
awshucks

Re: eqinox vs vortex

Post by awshucks »

If you're down to those two, get the enox, you can always swap the rail w/ a vortex guy looking for that last lil bit of umph. :mrgreen:

Don't forget, this coming week is the ATA, all the dealers will be MIA for a bit.................
"Eze 18:21"
vixenmaster

Re: equinox vs vortex

Post by vixenmaster »

Both models are fantasic, one Equinox just means abit more reserving of center serving than the Vortex. Yup Eq. shoots abit faster & flater using same weight arrow. The cocking of those big pounders will put a damper on yer practice sessions cause you get tired of cocking it after awhile. They're winners fer sure, how fer can they really kill a deer or hog ? How good are you ? They have the power to kill at 75 yds but animals tend to move when least expected. I shoot a Vixen & nutten that walks through my woods is safe out to 35 yds unless i let them pass or bad shot showing.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

The Equinox looks a little better and is a little faster but since I have a Vortex I'm afraid I have to be partial to it. The 20fps you gain makes very little difference out to 40 yards if you compare the difference with a computer generated program which will show you the POI with both speeds. I use a program like this to make my sight tapes for my compound bow for #D shooting and it is very helpful. Both are great crossbows good luck on your decision.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Both are awesome bows that will serve you well. I chose the Vortex and I'm very pleased with it. If I had to do it again I would still go with the Vortex over the E-nox. Personal preference only.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

I chose the Vortex over the Equinox at the Marketing Dude's suggestion based on my height and the fact the Vortex will kill any North American game animal. The Vortex has a 1" shorter pull, i.e. rail length and thus is easier to cock. I've never had a deer "jump the string", they are dead before they know there is a string to jump. The Vortex is plenty fast enough.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

If you are going to go to Africa and shoot elephants :shock: like Bill T has done, than I would suggest the Equinox. For anything swimming , walking or flying in North America the Vortex will handle fine. :) I own the Vortex and highly recommend it. Really it's up to you, see which one you like best. You allready made the right choice by picking EXCALIBUR !!!!!!!! :D
I am a hunter and proud of it.