Catwhiskers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Turtleman

Catwhiskers

Post by Turtleman »

I have been thinking about installing catwhiskers on my Vortex. I am shooting an excel string now hope to switch to Boo string later. My question is how far from the end of the loop is the best location , also about how many FPS am i going to loose! :?
Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
Normous

Re: Catwhiskers

Post by Normous »

Adding whiskers close to the loops will minimize speed loss because of the very short distance traveled. Speed loss will depend on the volume (weight) of the whiskers and where they are served on the string. My boo strings lost between 4-7 FPS depending on the amount of whisker served at that time.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

i put them on mine about 4 inches from loop..did not change my zero at all,at least to 30yds, so i did,nt lose much speed..really can,t say they help tho with the S5 already installed
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
Dash

Post by Dash »

With the whiskers already cut to the length you want , and string on your bow, hold the whiskers balanced over the string evenly, move it to a distance from the limb tip so that the whiskers will almost touch the limb, then mark that spot. Once you have the string on the jig measure the marked distance to do the other side of the string.
Smaller whiskers will allow you to mount closer to the limb tip, although the less whisker material will minimize the desired effect of them.
Buckin bill is right about noticing less difference with the S5. For me it was the other way around. The S5 made little difference with whiskers already on. They both cut out the similar frequency's.
But a change from the standard setup to to whiskers or S5 will give you a very noticable difference side by side a standard excal.
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

I was wondering about what benefit i would get. I have the STS on my vortex and wondered if putting on the Catwhiskers would be a benefit or a waste of time. So the consensus is , correct me if i am wrong, It should be one or the other and not both?
Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
strum

Post by strum »

Turtleman wrote:I was wondering about what benefit i would get. I have the STS on my vortex and wondered if putting on the Catwhiskers would be a benefit or a waste of time. So the consensus is , correct me if i am wrong, It should be one or the other and not both?
i use both..realy its up to you ..give it a try ..if you like em ..go with it.
I feel like the S5 is a must have..and when i put on CWs i decided ill always use them..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16