Why FOC is only part of the story

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: Why FOC is only part of the story

Post by Boo »

Allan wrote:Have you ever thrown a bolt and made it spin A LOT as it flew? Like throwing it underhand and letting it spin off your fingers? The decelleration is drastic.
That is because you are making the arrow spin faster than the offset is meant to spin causing the arrow to act like a waterwheel pushing air outwards from the arrow. But it is true that the more offset and arrow spinning the more the loss of speed but it isn't as dramatic as it appears. The arrow doesn't spin as fast as you might think.
Check this arrow out. It only completes 11 full turns in 145 meters.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1fHsZ8F0x4
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

See4miles wrote:
vixenmaster wrote:What would you think if'en i told you i can take bare arrows. Shoot groups small enuff with a BH at 30 yds to hit the Heart using Miss Vixen!
No offense vixenmaster, but when you do this, are those arrows going in the target straight, or are they slightly sideways? Because I'm guessing they are a little sideways.
Don't think i said they were straight, but i have no way to measure straight as my view will be diff than others! I can assure you if'en my 615 gr arrow hits a deer or hog out to 30 yds it don't matter if'en its off a few degrees. Its Katy barred the door fer that animal! Bet you a fat hogs butt it will be a pass-through! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

And I surely didnt think you hunted that way. It was an honest question. You should have said they didn't hit straight. When you provide information like that you should assume others may take and run with it as is. Newbies may try to set-up and hunt like that thinking its OK. Just sayin.......
In the Wind.......
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Because I concur with Shaff's original synopsis, I'm left wondering why it is that vanes like 2" Blazers seem to do a better job than some 4" vanes?
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Boo

Post by Boo »

The 2 inch Blazers are stiffer, have a more abrupt rise in the front and are textured so they create more drag. It's a very minor amount of drag but it's enough to do the job.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

See4miles wrote:And I surely didnt think you hunted that way. It was an honest question. You should have said they didn't hit straight. When you provide information like that you should assume others may take and run with it as is. Newbies may try to set-up and hunt like that thinking its OK. Just sayin.......
Maybe i ran around the block with me blabbering, they appear straight to me. Using these bag targets wid interwoven material the pt maybe hit straight then the end of arrow shaft shifts some as it penetrates. So possibly a good foam target would be better than a filled bag target so the resistance would be same all around the impact area. My bag being lower on the ground than the table i shoot from always show nock end high!
Half Bubble Off BD360

badredbird

Post by badredbird »

i like using a heavier foc , the fpe is more important to me , but theres more than one way to skin a cat, very interesting reading , its finding the right balance like everything else in life
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

Always good stuff. Will a heavier broadhead do the samething as adding an insert?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Shotnbeer wrote:Always good stuff. Will a heavier broadhead do the samething as adding an insert?
You have to have an insert wether it be alum. or brass. By adding more BH weight it adds to yer FOC. Some BH's now weigh enuff the alum. inserts are a decent way to build The higher priced brass isn't needed. Thats kind of a personal choice just like setting up yer arrow.
Half Bubble Off BD360

shafferm

Post by shafferm »

One other thing to keep in mind when you are adding more weight to the front is that you are decreasing the effective spine of your arrow.
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers
Gewehrhund

Post by Gewehrhund »

shafferm wrote:One other thing to keep in mind when you are adding more weight to the front is that you are decreasing the effective spine of your arrow.
This is a VERY good point. Is spine tuning with bolts as important as it is with vertical bows? I know that when you have your arrows cut for a vert bow with the spine you think you need you can then tune arrow flight with head weight. Different weights can have a drastic effect on arrow flight. Adding weight to the tip reduces spine and reducing weight up front will add spine...
2011 Vortex w/S5
Fire Bolts w/rage 100 gn for deer
Fire Bolts w/bolt cutters for everything else
.338 Ruger compact mag
Nikon Pro Staff LRF
Excal FFF string
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Spine of yer arrow may become a factor once yer consistantly shooting 330 fps on up. 2216-2215-2219-2117 all will handle speeds at least to 350 fps. Were talking 20" most all run of the mill carbons should do ok up to 350 of 22/64 size. Not too many are shooting that fast with Excal models.
Half Bubble Off BD360

comptaz

Post by comptaz »

Today I seem a little lost on selecting the right arrow/bolt for my Maxpoint crossbow (340 fps, 20" shaft). I was given it by my brother and have used it for the last 3 years. The first year i got it late and was firing the excalibur arrows with 100 grain tip (what it came with). After a little research, it turns out that configuration is too light, so I changed to a wicked ridge arrow and 100 grains. But running through a couple of kenetic energy versus weight versus speed. The more weight I add should produce higher kenetic energy. But a sideissue is now a much lower FOC 6 maybe. The lower the FOC the straighter the shot for a longer distance and supposedly the less stab.le

In test shooting the Wicked Ridge versus the carbon express surge arrows the shoot about the same and end up in a pretty tight bunch until about 40 yard where the surge are about 1-2 inches lower and about twice that at 50. Since I only shoot to about 30 no difference.

All that being said, what would be the best configuration?
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

comptaz,

The question for best configuration is difficult to answer without a bit more information. For deer I usually go for an arrow near the minimum weight to get a bit more speed and a flatter trajectory. The extra kinetic energy is usually converted into how far your arrow will stick in the ground after passing through the deer. The heavier arrows will also quiet the bow a bit more than the lighter arrows, although they will still be pretty loud.

What sort of groupings are you trying to achieve with broadheads? Are either of your arrow combinations able to achieve this?

There are definitely trade offs, the final question is are you happy with the groupings you are getting.
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers
comptaz

Post by comptaz »

Good point, it would seem the extra energy is really lost. Both give me the same groupings, so maybe I should hold with the ones I started with, a bit lighter.

Thanks.