18" Bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Walkin

18" Bolts

Post by Walkin »

Good day fellow Excaliburists,

I want to cut my new Laser IV's to 18". I know that there is a recommended 20" bolt length from Excalibur but I have also read somewhere, either on Boo's site or here, that 19" bolts are perfectly fine. I just like the idea of having the broad head sitting nice and tucked in that pocket on the riser with nothing sticking out. Any experience from anyone having done this before? Any problems that I should be aware of that I may not be foreseeing?

Thanks for letting me pick all your brains.
Boo

Re: 18" Bolts

Post by Boo »

Some broadheads are a tiny bit too big for the broadhead pocket. G5 125 gr 1 1/2" Strikers are one example. Stay under 1 1/2" and you'll do fine.
BTW, you'll have to shove in an uncut arrow and do some measuring before you cut anything.
Be careful of your total weight.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
frisky

Post by frisky »

If you are using a long stroke bow, and using the stirrup to de-cock the bow, MAKE sure the ARROW is NOT on the rail. You could have a BMW emblem in your boot. Don't laugh, this has been done by other members of the forum! :oops: :oops:
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Walkin

Post by Walkin »

I should have given up a little more information on my intended setup. My crossbow is the Y25. As I've said the bolts will be Laser IV; from the gold tip site's "making your own arrow" I'm planning 18", 60 grain brass insert with a 50 grain weight and then an additional 20 grain behind that, thinking of using the 2" hot water shrink wrap quick spin fletch and a standard flat back nock of course. These components with a 100 grain head gave up a FOC of about 16 % if I recall correctly; bolt weight came in at around 525.

Thanks for the heads up on preventing German car unintended foot tattooing; geez that would not be pretty....

As for the broad heads Boo, I was thinking of using the G5 100 grain fixed blades, but that's one thing I'm not set on because I'm still reading and listening to advice as to what would be the better choice. I'm not able to experiment much because I'm so poor. I'm trying to get it right the first time around.

Gracias for the wisdom's.
strum

Post by strum »

frisky wrote:If you are using a long stroke bow, and using the stirrup to de-cock the bow, MAKE sure the ARROW is NOT on the rail. You could have a BMW emblem in your boot. Don't laugh, this has been done by other members of the forum! :oops: :oops:
hmm i wonder who did that :roll:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

The more "stuff" on the front of the arrow, the bigger chance you take of an alignment problem.

In your case, I'd use the brass 110 gr inserts and 125 gr heads if you want that much weight up front.

I got some customs made once 20" and then reordered some 18" for a buddy from same guy. The shorter ones were not nearly as accurate for me/us.
"Eze 18:21"
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

i shoot 19"s out of my Vixen - it's a good match and does well for me.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
the elf

Post by the elf »

VixChix.With your 19 inch arrow length what are the other components of your arrow? Head weight ? feather/vane size ? Brass insert ? Need more details please.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

the elf wrote:VixChix.With your 19 inch arrow length what are the other components of your arrow? Head weight ? feather/vane size ? Brass insert ? Need more details please.
BigJohn made these up for me:

GT Lazer IIs, blazers, wraps, 100 gr heads/points, brass... I'd be tempted to go to 18, but if it ain't broke... 8)
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
the elf

Post by the elf »

Thanks.
Walkin

Post by Walkin »

Sounds like it's a go then. After I put them together and test I'll post if it's a good recipe.

P.S.......I'm thinking bear season is going to be a bit earlier than usual around these parts due to the warm winter; my friend working up around Wabasca has had the rear axles on his water truck punch through the muskeg last week and told me that the lease roads up north(Alberta) are mud already.........
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I am shooting 17" 2219s with a 50gr brass insert from my ibex with blazers & slicktricks 125gr and they will shoot 3" at 50 yards.