Who else likes to "improve" deer trails?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

koko

Re: Who else likes to "improve" deer trails?

Post by koko »

How come it didn't work for me.
Two years ago I started hunting this spot. I saw where the deer were coming through and I pruned it back some. I had a tree stand up all of last years archery season.So one week end this year I went up and started opening the trail wider for the deer to come through. I even had some deer minerals and corn on the ground along the trail. I was going to put up my tree stand the next week. I go up the next week only to find a trail camera on the path and a ladder stand up about 30 yards from where my stand was up last year. I did all the work and somebody moved right in. I think somebody saw my stand last year and just didn't want me to sit there this year. Go find your own trail and do your own pruning. That has happened to me more than once already and not just on this property. I don't own the land so I don't say anything.
2010 Equinox
Boo string with cat whiskers
camo munchmount
Big John GT III arrows
with 100 grain 3 blade meat seekers
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

koko wrote: Go find your own trail and do your own pruning. That has happened to me more than once already and not just on this property. I don't own the land so I don't say anything.
Simple solution.
Next time you get a hair cut ask your barber for a bag of hair.
Spread hair in a circle around that site at a distance where the camera won't pick you up.
Keep doing this until he leaves!
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Irish Spring soap or any kind of smelly soap rubbed inconspicuously on some tress around his stand will fix him up too. :wink:

I am going to assume you have permission to be there(I hope), so why don't you just ask the land owner if there is anyone else hunting his land, and if there is, get the guys/Gals phone number and call to fix up a plan where you are not hunting in the same spots as each other.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Just set up at the beginning of the trail or better
yet just give up on the spot. With both of you hunting
the same deer it won't be long before the area is not
worth hunting! Things happen for a reason! Find a new
spot and whack a big one!
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

I have been known to "help the situation" a bit. But, I hunt heavily pressured public land here in Michigan and the older bucks (and does) are ultra sensitive to everything. So I have learned to do my dirty work way early in the off-season and I'm talking April and May, so that the deer have a long, long time to get used to the change in landscape, no matter how subtle it may be.
The deer are so paranoid where I hunt that two years ago, I decided to experiment a little and hunt from the ground exclusively. I figured I could get a little more distance from perspective runways with my crossbow and the quicker entrance and exit would give me an advantage. WRONG! I set-up six ground blinds in July and early August. The deer literally changed there runways to avoid the new blinds and seemed to remember them all season. After all these years I'm still learning about how survival oriented they are and it pretty much botched several good spots for me that season..
But, when I lived in farm country in southern MI, where the deer were used to human smell, I would take my little Ford tractor and make paths in swamp grass for the deer and they loved them. They are amazing animals....
In the Wind.......
koko

Post by koko »

Behind my place in the woods where I put tree stands up. Not to many people can hunt it on my end of the woods but I don't own the woods. The other end somebody else owns. I guess they wanted to make sure the deer didn't come into my end of the woods so they tied womens nylon stocking in the trees with human hair in them to keep the deer away. Paybacks can be nasty. I work as a custodian for a school and I have the gym and locker rooms and I can find stick deodorant in those turn up containers and they make the tree trunks smell real nice.
2010 Equinox
Boo string with cat whiskers
camo munchmount
Big John GT III arrows
with 100 grain 3 blade meat seekers