rabit hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

varieurry

rabit hunting

Post by varieurry »

Question: if I'm using an Excalibur, can I hunt rabbit and partrige by lenghthening the string or something
Normous

Re: rabit hunting

Post by Normous »

Even if you were able to slow the Excalibur down one would still have a pass through on small game. Judo or small game blunts paired with the most inexpensive arrows would be my choice. I have lost a number of arrows on small game and enjoyed every minute of it, plus, I ate well after.
Welcome to the Forum!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
wabi

Post by wabi »

Welcome to the forum!

IMO forget altering the bow - let it work as designed, fast and accurate!

Look for less expensive arrows. I shop for arrow shafts on eBay - I often find aluminums someone has cut too short for their vert bow, but still plenty long enough to salvage for the crossbow. Takes some work and basic fletching equipment to convert them, but it's a fun hobby in itself.

Plan on loosing and/or destroying a few (or several) arrows, but it's still fun! Plain old steel blunts work well, or there are a few points designed for small game available.
wabi
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

pm sent - Forgot- one post u can't get pms. Don't want yo post what I did for small game here.
varieurry

Post by varieurry »

Thanks men, I'm trying to formulate my season for small, deer and moose hunting and this will be my first with crossbows. At 67 I'm looking for new thrills and this scene seems to be my last kick at the cat and will try it all. If I lose a few arrows it is what it is, but I know now it can be done.Roly
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum. The fellas above already gave you some tips so I'll just say happy hunting and safe shooting. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Dash

Post by Dash »

If you stick to using quality blunts you won't lose your bolts in the ground if you miss. Even though most blunts are not aerodynamic, the ones I'm using still land the same as my field points up to 35 meters. Don't worry about altering the power of the bow. For small game including rabbits I use the equinox with 175gr VB-Blunts. This weight and power would be an overkill with a normal broadhead, but perfect for blunts. Its a perfect setup for delivering instant kills on a head or chest shot. By the way, I've been using "Varmit buster" VB blunts for a couple of years now and still havent ruined one. They've saved me a lot of money compared to the other crap blunts on the market.
Good luck !
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

There are a few blunts I have been considering for next season. Right now I lean towards the Saunders Bludgeon.

http://search.3riversarchery.com/nav/ca ... untsSGPs/0

JMO, but I won't lengthen the string on my bow. I would prefer to use a blunt that matches my BH hunting arrow's POI.

As for the bow poundage, I don't want to lighten that either. Simply because I need the killing power in case I come across a coyote or fox during the hunt.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Dash

Post by Dash »

I'm the same mate. I like to keep all tips the same weight. I tried the saunders blunts and they fly OK. I think mine were 145 grain which was close enough to the boltcutters I used at the time. I only moved on to Varmit busters because they're all steel and virtually unbreakable. Plus because VB's were held on by a bullet point you can change the tip to achieve any overall weight you want.
varieurry

Post by varieurry »

Love this forum and the helpful hints I get from all of you. I will enjoy this hobby and looking forward to making my way back to ON and work on my skills.
roly
cooter123

Post by cooter123 »

I myself would leave bow as is like everyone else. I shoot rabbits with every arrow flinger I have. longbow 50 bucks a doz, compound bow 70 buck a doz and crossbow probably 50 buck a half doz. If I come back with a doz arrows I am extremely lucky. Most often I come back with a few or none. If cost is an issue seek out the cheep arrows on Ebay as others mentioned. I prefer to have fun than think about costs!!
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Welcome to the forum. You have a great place here good people with a mass of knowledge.
Raymond