Here we go again!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: Here we go again!

Post by Boo »

Athena1, first I am going to ask you to leave this whole crappy thing behind you. Some of us here got off on the wrong foot and it's best for everyone to forget it. After all life is way too short to volley back and forth when you could forge ahead and make friends.
In regards to the Leupold scope I hear gossip (keep in mind that it is gossip) that it is made in the Pacific rim. If you want a great alternative try the 2X7 Leupold shot gun scope. I have one and also like the 1.75X6 VXIII. Yep I know it's a whack of money but in my experience the VXIIIs are the brightest and the toughest scope for the money. I have Leupolds on various rifles, handguns and crossbows for the last 20 years and have never had an issue. Even on my Freedom Arms 454.
BTW, the 2X7 Leupold can be set up for 20, 30 and 40 yards on your crossbow.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Athena1

Post by Athena1 »

Boo wrote:Athena1, first I am going to ask you to leave this whole crappy thing behind you. Some of us here got off on the wrong foot and it's best for everyone to forget it. After all life is way too short to volley back and forth when you could forge ahead and make friends.
In regards to the Leupold scope I hear gossip (keep in mind that it is gossip) that it is made in the Pacific rim. If you want a great alternative try the 2X7 Leupold shot gun scope. I have one and also like the 1.75X6 VXIII. Yep I know it's a whack of money but in my experience the VXIIIs are the brightest and the toughest scope for the money. I have Leupolds on various rifles, handguns and crossbows for the last 20 years and have never had an issue. Even on my Freedom Arms 454.
BTW, the 2X7 Leupold can be set up for 20, 30 and 40 yards on your crossbow.

You're right I am done with all of the BS, I didn't start it and won't ever start it.

First I called Zeiss and asked them if therm if they made a crossbow scope, I knew they didn't but maybe something was coming out soon, but nope.

Second I did call Leupold and they praised their Crossbones scope (I guess so) But when the guy told me that the perilex was set at 40 yards, it told my that they have no idea what they are doing IMO. Reason being is you have to have that thing shot in nice and tight at 20 yd and since the Crossbones scope is perilex free at 40 yd, there has to be too much perilex at 20 yd to get a nice enough group (touching or hole in hole) at 20. He did tell me that I can change the distance in which the perilex is for a fee of 25 dollars. I think I make lokk int this scope.

As far as the shotgun scope. I am not sure which one my buddy had, but we put it on my bow the one day, not sure if I posted it or not. But this one had like a diamond as it's reticle. So we put it on and I figured I would just use one of the points in there to be my crosshair. Well after a few shots I was beside myself and so was my buddy cause he shot it also. We had no group at all so now we were thing, it has to be the bow this time. Well we keep looking around at things and find that, that scope was just sick of perilex. I mean from 10 to 80 yards perilex, I guess that's why that is a shotgun scope and not a crossbow scope.

I do know one thing, I doubt very much I am going to be sticking with an Excalibur scope for too much longer. I guess I'll have to save a bit and get something I know won't break.

Without going through all the thread on this forum has anyone used the Crossbones Scope from Leupod yet?
Boo

Post by Boo »

Here's a great article on commonly misunderstood concept of Parallax.
http://www.6mmbr.com/parallax.html
It is of no consequence for us crossbow shooters. It is however for those who shoot out to hundreds of yards. I use rifle scopes with are parallax corrected to 100 yards on my crossbows and have never seen any effects from parallax because the difference is both insignificant and likely not measurable.
Leupold 2X7 too much money? Try the Redfield Revolution 2X7.
Athena1

Post by Athena1 »

Boo wrote:Here's a great article on commonly misunderstood concept of Parallax.
http://www.6mmbr.com/parallax.html
It is of no consequence for us crossbow shooters. It is however for those who shoot out to hundreds of yards. I use rifle scopes with are parallax corrected to 100 yards on my crossbows and have never seen any effects from parallax because the difference is both insignificant and likely not measurable.
Leupold 2X7 too much money? Try the Redfield Revolution 2X7.

Nice article, but if I am moving my eye let to right or up and down and the crosshairs are moving like that shot gun scope was doing, it is too much parallax for me. Here is an article that I found check it out. I will quote you a few phrases out of it:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/factors_i ... y_one.html

After mounting the scope I tested a couple of factors that can also affect accuracy, especially tiny groups at 100 yards. The first was parallax. I sincerely believe this is one of the most common reasons many shooters are dissatisfied with factory-rifle accuracy.

To me this is just the same at shooting 20 to 50 yards with the crossbow. You'er only as good as your optics. Next quote:

Parallax, in case you don't know, is the apparent shift of the reticle across the target when the rifle's held still and you move your aiming eye back and forth behind the scope. It's caused by the reticle not being exactly in the focal plane inside the scope.

All scopes show parallax at some range. Big game scopes of 10x or under are normally factory adjusted to eliminate parallax at 200 yards. At shorter and longer ranges there'll be some parallax, just how much depending on the scope. (In my experience this is the usual reason some rifles shoot as well or better at 200 yards than 100, a phenomenon usually attributed to the spinning bullet "going to sleep." Maybe so but, most of the time, fitting a scope without parallax at 100 yards makes the rifle shoot better at 100 than 200.) Many scopes show noticeable parallax at 100 yards. I once tested a 2-8x variable from a major manufacturer that when set on 6x had 3-4 inches of parallax at 100 yards, though it was perfect at 2x and 8x.

To me this is a big deal, I am not shooting 100 yards, just out to 50 and I need to find a scope with the least parallax as I can within that range.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Been keeping out of the discussion so far but "crossbow" scopes is a subject I have had some experience with. :roll:

Started off with a new black Vixen many years ago and put a "DropZone" scope on it. All was fine with performance other than the fact the yardage marks were not at 10 yard distances for that bow & the arrows I was using.

Switched to an Ecocet (175#) & VariZone scope & everything was fine with that combination.

When the (then) new Phoenix hit the market I purchased one, but wanted the (then) new lighted reticle crossbow scope (Excalibur didn't offer one yet), so I bought a TenPoint scope.

Scope #1 had illumination problems from the start (green was too bright), but since it was deer season I decided to live with it for a few months. All was fine for a short time then suddenly accuracy problems (sudden drastic changes in POI).
Exchanged it for scope #2 and that one failed (accuracy problems again) after a few months.
Scope #3 looked fine, so I sold it immediately (on eBay) and bought a VariZone.

The VariZone worked for a few months then failed. Same sudden shifts in POI, and groups were terrible.

I was beginning to think the Phoenix was the problem!

Talked to Danny Miller and checked the bow for tiller, etc. under his direction and all seemed to be fine with the Phoenix, so I bought a Leupold shotgun scope off Danny (he highly recommends them) to try.

Yes, it has a wee bit of parallax at 25 yards (my sight-in distance), but not enough to worry about for hunting. A 1" group is very common for me.
Been two (or more, the memory seems to fail with age :roll: ) seasons with the Leupold on the bow now and no problems at all!

I now PREFER the Leupold and single aiming point to the multiple aiming point "crossbow" scopes for hunting. I can adjust the scope's power setting (2-7X to about 3X) so that the top & bottom duplex "posts" (thick to thin transition point) are on for 15 & 35 yards (with a 25 yard sight-in), but for the deer hunting I do as long as the deer is within 30 yards a "center of the lungs" hold with the crosshair has meant a dead deer every shot so far! Can't remember the exact count, but at least 5 deer (last 2 seasons) have fallen to this combination with no losses.

I simple range a 30 yard maximum shot distance zone around my stand or blind and if a deer steps inside that zone all I have to worry about is a good hold and shot angle. If the deer is moving toward me (happens frequently) I'll probably hit an inch or two high, but it's still a dead deer. :wink: :D

If a deer hung up at 35 yards and I had plenty of time and wanted to risk a long shot (IMO) I could use the bottom duplex "post" for precise aiming, and if a deer is at 15 yards (I DID use this method once on a deer at my feeder) I can use the top duplex "post" for precise arrow placement.
wabi
Normous

Post by Normous »

Redfield is now owned by Leupold and both scopes are made under the same roof sharing the same scope technologies. Dad just mounted a Redfield 2-7 on his .22 and I like it (of course I'm a Leup fan also). Great scope for the money.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

Have fun finding what you are looking for.
Here's some off-hand shooting with a scope that is corrected to 100 yards. Crappy I know but what can I say :D .
Athena1

Post by Athena1 »

wabi wrote:Been keeping out of the discussion so far but "crossbow" scopes is a subject I have had some experience with. :roll:

Started off with a new black Vixen many years ago and put a "DropZone" scope on it. All was fine with performance other than the fact the yardage marks were not at 10 yard distances for that bow & the arrows I was using.

Switched to an Ecocet (175#) & VariZone scope & everything was fine with that combination.

When the (then) new Phoenix hit the market I purchased one, but wanted the (then) new lighted reticle crossbow scope (Excalibur didn't offer one yet), so I bought a TenPoint scope.

Scope #1 had illumination problems from the start (green was too bright), but since it was deer season I decided to live with it for a few months. All was fine for a short time then suddenly accuracy problems (sudden drastic changes in POI).
Exchanged it for scope #2 and that one failed (accuracy problems again) after a few months.
Scope #3 looked fine, so I sold it immediately (on eBay) and bought a VariZone.

The VariZone worked for a few months then failed. Same sudden shifts in POI, and groups were terrible.

I was beginning to think the Phoenix was the problem!

Talked to Danny Miller and checked the bow for tiller, etc. under his direction and all seemed to be fine with the Phoenix, so I bought a Leupold shotgun scope off Danny (he highly recommends them) to try.

Yes, it has a wee bit of parallax at 25 yards (my sight-in distance), but not enough to worry about for hunting. A 1" group is very common for me.
Been two (or more, the memory seems to fail with age :roll: ) seasons with the Leupold on the bow now and no problems at all!

I now PREFER the Leupold and single aiming point to the multiple aiming point "crossbow" scopes for hunting. I can adjust the scope's power setting (2-7X to about 3X) so that the top & bottom duplex "posts" (thick to thin transition point) are on for 15 & 35 yards (with a 25 yard sight-in), but for the deer hunting I do as long as the deer is within 30 yards a "center of the lungs" hold with the crosshair has meant a dead deer every shot so far! Can't remember the exact count, but at least 5 deer (last 2 seasons) have fallen to this combination with no losses.

I simple range a 30 yard maximum shot distance zone around my stand or blind and if a deer steps inside that zone all I have to worry about is a good hold and shot angle. If the deer is moving toward me (happens frequently) I'll probably hit an inch or two high, but it's still a dead deer. :wink: :D

If a deer hung up at 35 yards and I had plenty of time and wanted to risk a long shot (IMO) I could use the bottom duplex "post" for precise aiming, and if a deer is at 15 yards (I DID use this method once on a deer at my feeder) I can use the top duplex "post" for precise arrow placement.

What is the MOA on that scope 1/4 or 1/2
Athena1

Post by Athena1 »

Boo wrote:Have fun finding what you are looking for.
Here's some off-hand shooting with a scope that is corrected to 100 yards. Crappy I know but what can I say :D .

how many yards out??
Dash

Post by Dash »

That experiment almost cost you a couple of arrows Boo :lol:
Hi Athena. Its easy make a making a mountain out of a molehill with parralax. Boo's correct in saying the difference in POI in barely measurable at the distances we are talking about. I used a shotgun scope set to 80yards and won the state indoor comp with it. The crossbones works great too. So did the excal lumizone and hawke I had too. At the end of the day I've had no problem with any of these scopes, they all will do the job for you. The rest is up to your shooting ability.
Athena1

Post by Athena1 »

Dash wrote:That experiment almost cost you a couple of arrows Boo :lol:
Hi Athena. Its easy make a making a mountain out of a molehill with parralax. Boo's correct in saying the difference in POI in barely measurable at the distances we are talking about. I used a shotgun scope set to 80yards and won the state indoor comp with it. The crossbones works great too. So did the excal lumizone and hawke I had too. At the end of the day I've had no problem with any of these scopes, they all will do the job for you. The rest is up to your shooting ability.

You may be correct, but all I know is the shotgun scope I had on my bow for a minute there was not happening. It was way too wild with parallax for me, but to each there own. We may be even speaking of two different scopes, not sure.
Athena1

Post by Athena1 »

Don't you just hate those two flyers up there????
Boo

Post by Boo »

Athena1 wrote:

Those are not flyers. They are 2 groups shot at 30 and 40 yards with a scope that is parallax corrected to 100 yards.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I took a 2x7 burris off a ML, put on a ten point for two yrs NO PROBS, got a excal max put it on it three yrs NO PROBS, put it back on the ML changed the elevation NO PROB. got BURRIS 1 1/2 X 5 set it up NO PROBS out to 50yards with single xhair on my max.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Athena1

Post by Athena1 »

Boo wrote:
Athena1 wrote:

Those are not flyers. They are 2 groups shot at 30 and 40 yards with a scope that is parallax corrected to 100 yards.

Wow then! that is nice shooting!!