Acceptable Accuracy ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wayne

Re: Acceptable Accuracy ?

Post by wayne »

OH...I forgot.....I seem to notice...Maybe it's just me..I'am not the sharpest broadhead out there.....But it seems the accuracy of the ibex seems a touch better at 20 yards then the vortex & past 30 yards the vortex seems a touch better then the ibex.......It is hardly noticable...just seems that way sometimes, was wondering if it's just me or the different poundage makes it a hair different, I know were spliting hairs here, just kind of seems like that sometimes.
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

wayne wrote:OH...I forgot.....I seem to notice...Maybe it's just me..I'am not the sharpest broadhead out there.....But it seems the accuracy of the ibex seems a touch better at 20 yards then the vortex & past 30 yards the vortex seems a touch better then the ibex.......It is hardly noticable...just seems that way sometimes, was wondering if it's just me or the different poundage makes it a hair different, I know were spliting hairs here, just kind of seems like that sometimes.
You know Wayne I would think it would make sense that a lower poundage bow would be a little sweeter shooter at shorter yardages and once you get farther out there the heavier poundage would win the day. Never tried testing it but makes sense. I think thats why the vixen master seems to tickle a lot of deer ribs because he shoots the closer shots and is deadly at it. Interesting idea to bounce around. :D
masboy

Post by masboy »

here,s 22 shots in row shooting at 30yds from a benchrest shooting three shot groups with 4 different arrows from a vortex and my equinox shoots the same with the right arrows.these were all shot with the retention spring so tight that I have to lift it up to get the arrow under it.
Last edited by masboy on Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

The limb washers are put in under the limbs but with time and shooting they work themselves out . Trimming is the easiest way to eliminate the problem from reoccurring .
Exceptable accuracy depends on what you are shooting . I`m hunting a turkey the range will be shorter but on a large swamp donkey you could stretch it out . Turkey has a vital the size of a orange the moose a garbage can . :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Tennessee Tom

Post by Tennessee Tom »

I practice with a Exomax,, and hunt with a Equinox ,, 2219's,, heavy built string ,, both of those bow's will group less than a inch at 30 yds when there is a calm wind,, [ no wind] ,, 40 yrd's with rest right around 2 in and maybe a little better than 3 at 50 also with prop sitting in chair with elbow resting on knee both bow's will propel these bolts at close to 300 fps ,, kill any body's deer to 25/30 yds , fer enough with archery ,, with out string noise 50 would be a chip shot ,, deer not acting alerted a few more yds would work also ,, survival equip ,, meat on table ...... 16% Foc >......2 " blazers ,, PDP inserts,,home made string ,, not as good as Boo's but I can fix most of my problems at home ...
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

wayne wrote:OH...I forgot.....I seem to notice...Maybe it's just me..I'am not the sharpest broadhead out there.....But it seems the accuracy of the ibex seems a touch better at 20 yards then the vortex & past 30 yards the vortex seems a touch better then the ibex.......It is hardly noticable...just seems that way sometimes, was wondering if it's just me or the different poundage makes it a hair different, I know were spliting hairs here, just kind of seems like that sometimes.
A THEORY
The lower poundage bow is flexing the arrow a little less than the higher poundage one. Therefore the arrow might stabilize a hair quicker giving the slight accuracy improvement at 20yds vs 30yds. At 30 yards everyone is real stable and the faster/flatter shooting arrow seems a hair better.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Gewehrhund

Post by Gewehrhund »

I think we get a little picky with this stuff, within its acceptable ranges these excals are as accurate as any bench rest rifle out there. With some serious time spent tuning F.O.C., different vanes sizes and shapes and bolts you can far exceed "minute of deer". That last group is 55 yards off hand.
2011 Vortex w/S5
Fire Bolts w/rage 100 gn for deer
Fire Bolts w/bolt cutters for everything else
.338 Ruger compact mag
Nikon Pro Staff LRF
Excal FFF string