Intro Another New Member - No Excalibur Yet

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Frogg

Intro Another New Member - No Excalibur Yet

Post by Frogg »

Hi, am new to this forum, I do not have a crossbow. I was thinking of getting one, getting too old to shoot my bow after surgery on my shoulder. I have hunted with rifle, shotgun, flintlock, bow, taken my share of deer in last 40 years.(Yo Frogg, 40 years?, should have had at least one!) I went to look at a Horton CB at a local hardware/sportsman store, they highly recommended the Excalibur. I fingered, cocked, decocked the Ibex and Vortex, now I have the bug….. I joined this forum and have been reading (almost all the posts) abt Excalibur Crossbows... over the last few weeks. My! What a wealth of information......
I am looking at the Ibex and Vortex, do not like the SMF Ibex..... Just the look, I know the arguments (I have a few Glocks). It’s me not the xbow. (I think a women said something like that to me once...)
I see some have bought an aluminum Ibex, Is there a product number that designates the aluminum rail over the SMF? The local store has the Ibex SMF kit for $519,(scope quiver, bolts, etc), the Vortex for $729 (Vari-zone scope, d-bars, etc) the Vortex appears to be a better package for the money. ( I would dress her up with all the stuff) I know which kind of crossbow I want but not which crossbow I want. I am cooling my jets, (is that possible, when you have a bug?) if I had the money I would buy both just to see what happens. Will buy for Fall Turkey and Deer season.
I don't post much but read often, this is a very good forum not so on some of the other archery sites, just by the tone of the posts.
Big58cal

Re: Intro Another New Member - No Excalibur Yet

Post by Big58cal »

Welcome to the forum Frogg! :D It won't really matter which model you chose, you won't go wrong with any Excal. :wink: Some of the aluminum rail Ibex bows are still out there, it's just a matter of finding them. Danny Miller (Excalibur's US Warranty Rep) may have one or may know where you can get one. Either way, it's worth a call: Danny Miller - Horizontal Archery in Sardis, OH - 740-483-2312. That is, if you're in the U.S. You can also look around on Ebay. Several places on there may still have some available. Whether it's the Ibex or Vortex to you chose, you should be happy with either one. The Ibex may be a little easier on you since it's 175 lb though.

Yeah, this is a pretty good forum. There's very little squabbling and none of the attitude you get on most other sites. Pretty decent place to hang out. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
wayne

Post by wayne »

WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF EXCALIBUR :D :D :D

40(+) years of hunting....I know the feeling all to well :lol: :lol: :lol:

We have both the alum. rail ibex & the vortex, can't say if ones better the the other, love them both. Seems like the more I shoot them, the more I like them, if that's possable.
Think some dealers would have some of the alum rail ibex's in stock, think I saw some on e-bay alittle while ago also.
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

WELCOME to the forum!! :D :D
Have you looked at the phoenix :?: The only 175lb model now that comes new with an aluminum rail. :?
Keep us posted when you pull the trigger!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Welcome Frogg....are you from Quebec by any chance?? As you mentioned, this is a great forum, I belong to a few forums and this one is by far the friendliest, and with all the questions I have asked( I am a neub also) I have not once felt like I was bugging anyone, and everyone has been great in answering all my questions here on the forum and on the phone. :D
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
roly

Post by roly »

Welcome to the forum

Good luck on your choice, you will be
happy with either one

That Vortex sure is sweet.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Hey Frogg, Welcome to the party. Just join right in. Aging
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum and good luck choosing your first Excal. Not an easy choice. The SMF Ibex replaced the aluminum railed model. You can still find them in some of the stores but I imagine they will be harder to find as time passes. I wouldn't wait too long if you prefer the aluminum rail.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Ya' know, just thinking about it, the looks of that SMF rail should be able to be fixed with a little autobody fiberglass and/or putty, a little light sanding, and a nice camo dip. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Welcome to the forum, you can't go wrong with an Excalibur.
Raymond
axiluc

Post by axiluc »

Welcome :D :D :D
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Welcome to the forum, great place to be. I've owned several in my brief Excal time: Equinox, too strong for my cut 72yr old shoulders (both), Vortex :D , Phoenix :D . Shoot the Phoenix most because it's easier to cock. But if I could keep just one it would be the Vortex.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

(Yo Frogg, 40 years?, should have had at least one!)

I chose Excal a long time ago for the same reasons as listed throughout this forum.
Other brands copying Excal just confirmed my choice.

Traditional vs thumbhole vs custom wooden in either configuration.
Choices to be made my friend and only you can decide in the end.

Stay with our little forum and post, just like sports, it's no fun just sitting on the bench.

Welcome aboard.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Welcome, Frogg! what's 'the local store'? It would help if we knew where you are located, fill out enough info on profile to tell which side of the border you are on?

Can't help on choice, I like 'em all!
"Eze 18:21"
bugs

Post by bugs »

Welcome :D I cant help with your decision because I have a Vixen but either way you will love your bow.
To be a vegetarian is to listen to the live carrot gradually screaming as it drowns in a pot of boiling water …. Which is more ethical to you ?? :roll: :lol: