Golf carts?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Golf carts?

Post by Pydpiper »

This is going to be the year we add a golf cart to our hunting arsenal. And I am undecided between gas and electric.
The local land we hunt is all gravel and dirt roads, what was once meticulously groomed roads through tobacco land has turned to very nice dirt roads through crops that alternate between corn and beans. Most of it is too close to bother starting up a car to go hunting, but far enough that a cart would be pretty darn handy.
Anybody use one? And if so, what are the pros and cons of batteries versus gas? I would like it to have sufficient amperage to run a winch (DIY deer lift), and probably a stereo for when the kids take it fishing.
Thanks!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
agingcrossbower

Re: Golf carts?

Post by agingcrossbower »

In our area most use four wheelers but I tell you a electric cart is Stealth for sneaking into your hunting area. I would have one if we did'nt have swamps to go through. Check out Archerytalk,com. They have a section just for buying and selling things like that. Good Luck.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

If this is something you will keep for a long time then I would seriously look at an electric atv.
More powerful, more durable and built for off road, including batteries.
Perfect when hunting from home or where games is sensitive noise.
Scent free from gasoline and exhaust fumes.
Just plug in over night or add a solar panel to charge out in the field.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
catcher

Post by catcher »

I also am thinking of getting a golf cart . In fact I know I am , just waiting for my new shop to be built to put it in. And I too was debating between gas or electric . But since I already have a gas four wheeler I am going with the electric golf cart. One with new batterys and a lift kit and off road tires. Like this....
http://customcarts.ca/product/custom-20 ... -batteries

I love the idea of the stealth of it and still have ground clearance and it looks cool. There is a camo option you can get with the flip down seats for added storage in the back. Plus my wife will use it since it drives like a car not like the fourwheeler where there are a lot of steps before starting. Let me know what you go with.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I like the silence of the electric too, but I know we will be doing big family tours around here and I am concerned about the battery life.
There are so many options out there that I don't know which way to turn. I love the back seat, need it actually with 5 of us, and the fact it converts to a "bed" for hauling stuff is a bonus. Kids will enjoy it in the yard, and the wife, like yours, will get use too.
So many decisions..
I want to buy stock and do the modifications myself, regardless of the cart.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
tsc

Post by tsc »

Seeing as how your in the Woodstock/Brantford Area. Swing by B&M Custom Carts on Plank line, just outside Tillsonburg. I know nothing about carts or B&M, but you might get some good ideas from them
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Send an email or PM to Deaf Jeff He bought an electric 4wh Drive ATV year before last and absolutely loves it. It actually a UTV as it looks like any of the current side by sides. (http://www.badboybuggies.com/) His battery life if great. It has plenty of power in 4wh drive and moves along pretty fast, It is ultimately quiet. You can't here it run and going through the woods it is super quiet,
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

Pydpiper wrote:I like the silence of the electric too, but I know we will be doing big family tours around here and I am concerned about the battery life.
There are so many options out there that I don't know which way to turn. I love the back seat, need it actually with 5 of us, and the fact it converts to a "bed" for hauling stuff is a bonus. Kids will enjoy it in the yard, and the wife, like yours, will get use too.
So many decisions..
I want to buy stock and do the modifications myself, regardless of the cart.

During a round of golf a cart will travel 7-8 km during 4+ hours and start probably 2-300 times. A cart is generally capable of several rounds or more on one charge depending on topography. If your terrain is hilly, there are some that have re-generative braking as well. As far as winching, they're not very heavy. A hand boat winch on some sort of homemade bracket would pull a cart out of anything.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Friend on our lease has an EZ-Go that has been lifted and has oversize knobby tires on it. Its electric, and is absolutly SILENT! Dirt roads and low inflation pressure tires equals almost no noise period. He hunts two different areas on our place. One is about a half mile drive and the other is probably a mile and a half drive one way. The closer place he can drive to all weekend and not need a charge. The farther place about two trips and it needs a good charge. Here comes the BUT. In the mud..... its amazing where this little thing will go being one wheel drive and all,but the mud zaps battery quick!! If it is muddy, one trip to the farther location, and you are hoping and praying that you get back to the cabin before the batteries are gone. I have been on the "help me push it to where I can get the trailer to it" mission and they dont push in the mud very easy! All told I really like the electric carts, but they do have some limits. Lots of fun tho. (in a cultivated field you can drive right up to hogs at night,one driver, one ridin' shotgun!)Hope this helps. Batteries are pricey as well and there are SIX of 'em.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I've been thinking of a golf cart for hunting purposes as well. I have a lot of research to do but I'm leaning towards electric for the stealth aspect of it. Lift it a little and put some good tires on it. Dress it up in camo?? Lots of ideas but mostly contemplation right now. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Tom

Post by Tom »

A little caution on electric vehicles in Ontario. Check out what their classification would be, ATV, UTV, Slow Moving Vehicle (not a farm vehicle). They will all need certain licenses to make them legal.

Pydpiper batteries are important. Life span (the amount of times you can charge them) very greatly. SLA have a low cycle life while LifePo4 (or similar batteries) will have a much greater life span (about double or maybe triple), but they cost much more.

Hope this helps you some.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Found one, same price I was hoping to spend. Gas powered Club Car. Just couldn't see myself charging batteries, up north on the new land plugging in isn't always an option.
Looking forward to breaking out the welder and making it a little more personal.
WMU 91
Boo string
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

That's cool Pyd. Show us some pics when you get it done. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

SunCatcher - Solar Powered Golf Car Charging System

http://www.suncatchergolf.com/public/ht ... layer.html

http://www.suncatchergolf.com/

Solar charging is always an option and combined with a small generator leaves the power cord behind.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
EJ45

Post by EJ45 »

We recently purchased a Stealth Nighthawk electric 4x4. Its pretty fast and carries four adults. The bed had a dump function also. Havent had any rain in months, so havent tried out the four wheel drive, but I have been very impressed thus far.
Matrix 355