S5's String gap

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MidTnHunter

S5's String gap

Post by MidTnHunter »

Placed new S5 on my Equinox today and had to change my brace height to get a gap between string and S5 cushion. Sighted in afterwards very slight adjustment to bring back in align, but the S5 seems to be longer than the STS's that I had on the bow is this usual :?: Did I not install S5 properly?
Equinox with S5
SpitFires 100 gr with brass inserts
Leupold Crossbones Scope
ACF Member - 2009
pasloat0

Re: S5's String gap

Post by pasloat0 »

my string rests against the s5's u should be fine
2011 excalibur equinox ,lite stuff, shadow zone,victory xbolts,flemish string
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

MidTnHunter wrote:Placed new S5 on my Equinox today and had to change my brace height to get a gap between string and S5 cushion. Sighted in afterwards very slight adjustment to bring back in align, but the S5 seems to be longer than the STS's that I had on the bow is this usual :?: Did I not install S5 properly?
Never had STS's on my bow, but yes ideally there should be a
gap between your string and the S5's. Don't believe you installed
them incorrectly unless you flipped them over and mounted from the bottom up? The string should rest near the center of the pad when installed. A gap provides a longer life of the S5's.
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

1/8'' is what mine is and the rubbers seem to last longer, jmho

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:1/8'' is what mine is and the rubbers seem to last longer, jmho

Wes
Same here, about a string width or so away from the pads.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
SkOrPn

Post by SkOrPn »

Sorry to awaken this thread but Id rather awaken it then start a new one.

I just installed my new S5's and noticed the string is sitting against it really really hard. I kept reading around that you should have a small gap no more than a strings gap. SO, I turned the string one full 360 degree turn and nothing, so I turned it again this time two full 360 degree turns and still seems to be just as tight against the S5. Yes, I am turning it correctly using the natural twist direction of the string, and in my case this is Counter-Clockwise (if looking directly at the limb tip). Since everyone seems to pull their string away from the S5 pads I can only assume its safe to continue to twist the string until I see a gap as well? The string is brand new Excel on a Axiom installed by Dan I assume. I have not shot it yet as I have been waiting on both parts, building a target and good wind free weather.

How many turns can it take to collapse just 1/8" or 1/4" adjustment? Also, I assume its best to use full turns to keep the loop attached on the same side? Or does that matter? Thanks for any tips for this n00b...

SkOrPn
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

if you have a new string, i would just take the s5s off until the string settles or you will be forever taking the string off and twisting it to keep your gap.
but to achieve a gap from the s5s, just keep twisting. it can take upto 10-15 twists. and you should not worry about half turns effecting the loops. your safe.
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I adjust the string to the S5s on the 3 Excals that I bought for a 1/8" gap by twisting the strings CCW when looking into the end of the string. I purchased the S5s for the Vortex and Axiom SMF and installed them & they came as standard on the Equinox. We have found that the accuracy is constant when the gap is maintained at approximately 1/8". I also had to replace the rubbers on the Equinox as they had become split from so many shots. The accuracy of these CBs continue to amaze me and I don't shoot the same bull more than ounce.
Last edited by Deerstalker on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
SkOrPn

Post by SkOrPn »

Ok thanks for the replies.

I have had this string on for several months now, just not had any weather willing to allow me to shoot as of yet. I figured several months under tension would have settled it in by now? No?

Ok, took the bow apart to wax the string and tie on some cat whiskers. Once I get it back together I will shoot it a few dozen times before putting on the S5's again. This Axiom does not seem to have any brace height marks that my eyes can see, so I have nothing to go by other than what the original twist looked like from the factory. At least with the S5's on I have something to act as a brace height guage. lol
Hoagy

Post by Hoagy »

Factory spec:
The string on the axiom smf can be set anywhere from 5/8" to 1 5/8" back from the joint where the riser meets the rail. This can be found under "Support/Frequently asked questions" at the top of the page on the left hand side.
Hoagy
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D welcome, i would leave it cocked over night to help speed up the process, it won't hurt the bow at all to do it.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.

Post by newbie »

I have a 1/2" gap from my string to stops. Farther from stops longer life of them
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

With my new Ibex there is about an 1/8" gap.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.