string stretch

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hemlock Ranger

string stretch

Post by Hemlock Ranger »

Hello to all, I am a proud owner of a new axiom that is an upgrade from a competitors compound. I am very pleased so far with the quality and accuracy. I plan on staying with the stock string through next hunting seasons so I bought a spare. Is it a good idea to stretch the spare before it is needed? Also, how much change in poi can I expect from a string that is settled in and a brand new one? Thanks
Pydpiper

Re: string stretch

Post by Pydpiper »

Change in POI is significant to some, minimal to others. For deer it won't make much of a difference, but it will make or break the shot on a squirrel at 40 yards.
New strings tend to creep more, but you can maintain the same POI from an old string to a new string by maintaining the brace height. Takes a little more work on a new string but still very easy to do.
Here is "brace height", the distance your string sits at rest, from the riser.

You can pre-stretch the string to work out some of the creep, but the stock Dacron strings still have a tendency to grow.. Pressure sure isn't going to hurt anything, if done correctly. Best bet, alternate from string to string as you go, it will keep you conscious of the brace height, keep the string worked in too. When the string is off the bow use a twist-tie to keep the loop ends together to prevent it from unraveling.
Congrats on the new bow!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Dash

Post by Dash »

Difference in POI is minimal at close range. But after cocking a new string for a hunt in hot weather, and leaving it cocked a couple of hours, there can be a lot of creep, meaning the string may have crept enough to reach the lower brace height when uncocked, enough to make a small difference in the shot.
I like to prestretch the spare string to get the initial creep out of it especially for a hunt or comp. Then I keep it on a stretcher under low tension (or on a bow) until needed.
If you don't have a stretcher Pyd's idea of alternating strings works well. Dacron will keep creeping slowly, but the "quick creep" when you first put the string on will come out just by a good number of shots. "Mark" your prefered brace height and keep it roughly the same when shooting, especially when you change strings.
Happy hunting
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Congrats on joining the club.
Raymond
Hemlock Ranger

Post by Hemlock Ranger »

Thanks for the help and welcome. I shot a few arrows today to see how 125 gr. thunderheads would fly then changed strings. I will alternate strings and see how it goes.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!!! :D :D
Sound's like the fella's have got you squared away! :mrgreen:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Don't hang a flemish style!
"Eze 18:21"
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

hankenhunter wrote:Welcome to the forum! I just left my bow cocked overnight and also hang a spare string with a hundred pound weight on the end in my basement. I let the weight just touch the ground so the string won't spin. Works great for me. Less fiddling. :D
Hank
I thought about doing that but I was afraid of using too much weight causing strand breakage in unseen areas under servings for example. I didn't like the idea of a constant pressure.

In the past I have just shot a string in and have as many as 3 on the go at one time. Once they are shot in, then all I have to do is re-serve and I'm good to go in no time at all.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"