Practice close shots

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Raymond

Re: Practice close shots

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
I never practiced shots in under 10 yards before. I thought I was safe. Hmmmm, :roll: , little did I know that I had a deer within 5 feet of me, 3 years ago and I missed it. I didn't know which spot on my Phoenix crossbow scope to use. It was my first year with a crossbow but that was no excuse because I have a scope on my rifle. And always on all my other rifles that I once owned. I should have used my center cross hairs with a deer that close. I could have reach out and touched it with the Phoenix and pulled the trigger if I would have straightened my arms out, that deer was so relaxed. I was in a ground blind and that deer had no idea how close it came to dying that day. Now I know where to shoot when an animal is in close. It was meant to happen that way to teach me a lesson and boy did I learn the lesson well, :lol: .
Thanks,
Raymond
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

When I was shooting a compound, I have always practiced shooting straight down. Now I can't remember doing it with the X-bow. Will have to remember too, now.........RR
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
subneural

Post by subneural »

strum wrote:I missed a turk 2 years ago at close range..it was about 8 yards away. i never dreamed it would run away but it did :shock:
I did the same thing. Long story short, after calling in a pair of jakes I put my bolt clear over the back of the closest one - from my scoped Phoenix. I darn near had the Phoenix re-cocked before the jakes took off.

I've learned my lesson. I've set a 0-10 yd pin on my vertical bow, and practice at least one quivers' worth of the close shots each practice session.
Boo-strung, GroundPounded and Varizoned Phoenix, sold.
PSE Brute X pushing Easton Flatlines topped with Rage 3-blades.