Newbie from the U.K.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Arckivio

Newbie from the U.K.

Post by Arckivio »

Hello to all forum members. I'm not completely new to crossbows as I had a barnett rx 280 many years ago but the limbs to that were stolen together with the sports bag they were in & I never replaced them. Now I have a couple of sons & they seemed interested so am starting target shooting again. .

I am new to Excalibur, in fact I'm so new that my Exomax hasn't even arrived yet!!! :x All I have so far is the lite stuff accessory pack & that brings on my first question, the wax in that pack is described as deck wax but the pot actually says serving wax. Does adding it to the serving also wax the deck so it's dual purpose?

The other problem I have is that very little is available here for crossbows, archery is a pretty big sport but no hunting allowed means crossbows are not as popular & there is a similar situation of snobbery amongst traditional "archers" & most archery clubs would have you arrested if you turned up at their range with a crossow!

All this means that the only trigger lube I can find is a Tenpoint version & I'm not sure if it would be ok in my Exomax so any suggestions of what else I can use would be great.

I've read up to page 40 of the topics in the hunting section so far so I haven't been lazy & have picked up lots of info & tips, I'm even going to try re-serving my strings when the time comes after reading Boo's posts & watching his video's. I have looked at ordering bits from the States but postage is too much for small orders. One impossible thing to find here, for example is flat nocks. A few dollars there & $30 postage :shock:

Back to the archers, can someone explain the reasoning behind their looking down at crossbows. Is it because they see bows as being more old world & traditional? If thats the case, I could understand if they were running round the forests like Robin Hood, with a yew bow, sinew string & wooden arrows but they're not. Their bows are as modern in materials as any crossbow.

Thanks to anyone that got this far with my ramblings.

Achie.
rayman

Re: Newbie from the U.K.

Post by rayman »

Arckivio wrote:Back to the archers, can someone explain the reasoning behind their looking down at crossbows.
They just made xbows legal for bow season last year in my state and it is catching on very slowly I think because of the forementioned attitude, and because most guys start out with a cheap one and then are disappointed in the whole thing.

My friends that are really v-bow enthusiasts hate crossbows. But ask me if I care. I happen to know that although some v-bow hunters have very good recovery rates, many recover less than 50%. Animals are sometimes lost even when shot with rifles, but I think that hunting with a good quality crossbow is much more ethical.
Arckivio

Post by Arckivio »

I'm not really into the hunting side of things but I know most on here hunt & eat their catch & I don't think theres anything wrong with that, its just not for me. I do believe that some thing should be killed as quickly as possible & if I understood your post correctly & that doesn't happen as often with a vertical bow, then you have the moral high ground as far as I can see.

There's still the thing that they HATE crossbows!!! From what I can gather on this site, crossbow owners just get on with it & don't hate anyone, (apart from non excalibur crossbow owners :wink: ). I read a long thread about Jaguar crossbows, that was funny!

Also read about homemade deer jerky, that sounds so good!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

:shock: :shock:

YOU SAID THE "J" WORD!!

Kidding, welcome to the forum!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Arckivio

Post by Arckivio »

hankenhunter wrote:Welcome Brother! Congrats on your new Exomax. The wax is for the serving and string. If you can, get some silicone spray to to clean and lube the deck. Spray on a rag and then wipe the top of the rail. You don't want a wax build up on your rail. As for the verticle shooters, What can I say. We are slowly making progress, but hard headedness and greed make it slow going. In Canada we don't have much of a problem. Most everybody embraced crossbows and the regulations are pretty much the same across the country. I wish the die hard verticle hunters would check out Canada to see how much damage has been done to hunting by crossbows. :lol:
Happy shootin, :D
Hank
I'm of Italian origin & I checked hunting laws online in Italy.
Apparently you can hunt with a vertical but not a crossbow thanks to a law by a pope in 1139 that has never been changed. He said you can kill a lion though!!!

With my limited Italian I think they go xbow hunting in Hungary for wild boar so I may try hunting just once as my girlfriend is Hungarian. Maybe one day I will be posting a pic of my kill, or maybe a pic of the teeth marks left in me by the boar because I missed! :shock:

Thanks for the advice, silicone spray ordered. All I need now is my Exomax.
Last edited by Arckivio on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arckivio

Post by Arckivio »

one shot scott wrote::shock: :shock:

YOU SAID THE "J" WORD!!

Kidding, welcome to the forum!
:lol: He was obviously out to start a fight & it really worked with some of you! I was going to get one at first & then changed my mind as I wanted to be sure I had some customer service if things went wrong so I chose an Exomax for me & a Tenpoint gt flex for my teenage son purely because of its minimum 90lb draw weight & flexibility. I'm sure he'll want an Excal as his muscles grow.
Arckivio

Post by Arckivio »

hankenhunter wrote:Boar hunting is on my "bucket list". One of these day's I'm gonna show up on Georgia boy's doorstep askin, "Where's them mobile hams?" :lol: Hank
Going to ask my G/F to check Hungarian hunting laws tomorrow night so I might beat you too it. She'd probably cry like a baby if I actually shot one but her dad would get the barbeque going & love me forever :D
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum & great choice on your bow...even the Ten Point :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

hankenhunter wrote:Boar hunting is on my "bucket list". One of these day's I'm gonna show up on Georgia boy's doorstep askin, "Where's them mobile hams?" :lol: Hank
Come on down my canuck friend...just be careful, them ham's bite back!! :mrgreen:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Welcome aboard, looks like your going to be busy once you have everything in hand, just take your time and make sure all is in order before you squeeze the trigger, check it all twice, I like exomax, any excalibur is a number one choice, have fun shoot safe.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Arckivio

Post by Arckivio »

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I'll keep on reading through the old topics as there's always bits of info to pick up.

I will check & double check before shooting,even more as my son will be there. My Exomax is due in this week so I'm keeping everything crossed that it turns up.

Good luck to all & save me some jerky! :)
Dash

Post by Dash »

Welcome Arckivio, Nice Xbow.
One of the first things I done after getting on the forum was to use the forum search box . I found answers to nearly everything I needed to know on the old threads topics. And what you don't see, the good people of this forum will help you with.
Just use the wax on the serving, and keep the Rail clean of wax build up like Hank said with a small amount of spray silicon on a rag. Your trigger lube should be OK, but in saying that, after 2 years I havent had to lube or touch anything on the excal triggers and they are great. Your Exal will be a lot more reliable and maintenance free than a Barnett.
That snobbery you spoke about is pretty bad here too. But I think its up to us to educate and promote the sport and hopefully one day put an end to the bullshit.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Welcome and congrats on your crossbows. You are on a one of friendliest forums one the net, tons of knowledgeable and friendly folks willing to answer any questions and to help you as much as they can.
Raymond
wapiti_wacker

Post by wapiti_wacker »

Welcome , you will get great advice here from the friendliest forum on the internet with Great people. Happy c hooting and be safe . :D
Exocet 200
Flemish string
S 5 suppression
Hi my name is Mark and I AM an Elkaholic .....
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new Excal when it arrives. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads