Southern Ontario Deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbhntr

Southern Ontario Deer

Post by xbhntr »

If a doe is mated in early september and another doe in december , would the fawns still have spots now ? Are the small redish brown deer , yearlings ? Ray
BBDOWN

Re: Southern Ontario Deer

Post by BBDOWN »

I'm not sure how to tell when she was mated, But in southwestern ON I've see fawns with spots in late august. Not alot mind you but a few.
xbhntr

Post by xbhntr »

I too have seen spotted fawns in November !! Is there a Deer Expert on this forum . LOL. Ray
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Depends on what you consider small, are you talking 20 - 30 lbs or more ??? Anything too small would not have made it through the winter so you would be looking at a fawn born earlier than most, not a yearling. Fawns usually have that red/orange color which they molt out of by Sept-Oct and their winter coat grows in, then after one winter the greyish color sets in.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Probably safe to say that you are seeing yearlings (last year fawns) current fawns would probably still have their spots at this point.
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Bullzeye wrote:Depends on what you consider small, are you talking 20 - 30 lbs or more ??? Anything too small would not have made it through the winter so you would be looking at a fawn born earlier than most, not a yearling. Fawns usually have that red/orange color which they molt out of by Sept-Oct and their winter coat grows in, then after one winter the greyish color sets in.

X-2 At least thats the way it is here in Missouri-USA.

Dave :)
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
TB

Post by TB »

Gestation is 196-200 days for WTD. The first heat in Southern Ont is around First week in Nov.and if she's not bred then second heat is 28 days later, early Dec. You would have to estimate how old the fawn was when you saw it and calculate back from there. It would be fairly close as to which heat she was bred in.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

It seems every thing here is about a month early, seen the fish hawks [osprey] here 3 wks earlier, I saw a spotted fawn the last day of March, set up 6 cams and got pics of everything but the fawn, may not have lived :?: times are changing for sure so I'm not surprised about what folks are seeing.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

The nice thing about a mild winter and early spring here is the pregnant does came through good . And the early fawns will have time to pack on the pounds . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

If'en you be seein spotted Fawns now they're this yrs. Any fawn born last yr won't have spots on it & its a yearlin. Our Doe's started droppin fawns here in mid May
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

TB wrote:Gestation is 196-200 days for WTD. The first heat in Southern Ont is around First week in Nov.and if she's not bred then second heat is 28 days later, early Dec. You would have to estimate how old the fawn was when you saw it and calculate back from there. It would be fairly close as to which heat she was bred in.
This past breeding season bucks were carrying racks well into february and some into march.
Bucks only carry head gear as long as they are breeding does.
Spotted fawns at this time of year will mean that they likely will not make it through this winter unless we have another like the last one.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
rayman

Post by rayman »

In NE Florida, most does are bread in late Sep - Nov. A good friend of mine called me the last week of March and said he had just seen through his binoculars a buck that had already shed his antlers breed a doe. Of course fawns were hitting the ground within 30 days of this happening. Wierd. :roll: