Finally Rain

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Farmer

Finally Rain

Post by Farmer »

After a month with no rain ,we finally hit the jackpot . About 2.5 inches worth . Finished planting around the 28th of May ( and it was hot and dry ) we received about 6/10ths of an inch around the 25th of May and no measurable amount till last night . Thank you God!

Corn was looking rough firing at the bottom and twisting up to save moisture . Soybeans were surprising me how well they were doing but another week or 2 and we would have had trouble . The sustained 95 degree weather is tough on near drought stressed crops.

Last nights system was not all good news . The storm brought hail to Essex about 20 miles away from here . Paper says pinpong ball sized hail lasted about 30 minutes , with high winds it was vertical at times. Corn , beans and tomato crop wiped out . Hope they all carried insurance !

THe weather over the past 9 months has been crazy , non stop rain last fall and now hot and dry .

Anyone else having a sustained dry spell in their area ?
Raymond

Re: Finally Rain

Post by Raymond »

A month with no rain. Wow, that is extremely worrisome and difficult for you farmers. Will that amount of rain save your crops. I will say a prayer and do a rain dance that you have the amount of rain you need, :) . You are definitely right about those farmers in Essex carrying insurance, those farmers are definitely in trouble without insurance. In the city of Halifax here in Nova Scotia reported having a hail storm also.
Raymond
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Yesterdays rain leave us in pretty good shape for the time . Will need more this month and a timely rain or 2 in August would be perfect . Only time will tell.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I don't have any crops but lots of trees. We haven't had a measureable since May, a small sprinkle shower on june 2nd. Its all drought!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I was affecting the trees in my yard as well . ,Had been running a 2 inch transfer pump with a fire nozzle on the end of the discharge to water my trees most every day for the past 2 weeks . Run for 30 minutes in one spot and the cracks were still taking water :shock: It's pumping a big 100 gallons / minute . Even the creek along my property was as low as I have ever seen it . Last fall the same creek was overflowing the banks .
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Lets hope you folks get the rain you need. Life is tough as it is without having to do battle with Mother Nature. We had a bit of rain throughout the night here.
Raymond
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Farmer wrote:I was affecting the trees in my yard as well . ,Had been running a 2 inch transfer pump with a fire nozzle on the end of the discharge to water my trees most every day for the past 2 weeks . Run for 30 minutes in one spot and the cracks were still taking water :shock: It's pumping a big 100 gallons / minute . Even the creek along my property was as low as I have ever seen it . Last fall the same creek was overflowing the banks .
If a crack is deeper than 4 feet then it will take water forever and a day. These cracks will help replenish the ground water but also keep the surface dry. The only thing that will close it up is the frost of winter.

Tilling around your trees might help some. Removes the grass competition and may help keep the water out of the cracks.

Farming has it's rewards but also many more challenges. At planting time it's always a guessing game whether to plant deep or shallow based upon future moisture predictions.

It takes special people to do this job!
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
shaftthrower

Post by shaftthrower »

Rain Whats that? Dryer than a popcorn fa-- here in SW Mi.
crazyfarmerHD

Post by crazyfarmerHD »

5tenths in 3.5 weeks here and with temps in the 95-105 area its not good. It was 101 yesterday, and supposed to hit 105 again Saturday. Corns been firing up so I imagine thats done here. 9ft tall and a little nub ear. Dunno what soybeans will do. Its bad in my county. Right now its looking like a 85% corn loss. Soybeans wont be far behind
aka crazyfarmer
Deer Whisperer
custom cowwackerz
rayman

Post by rayman »

We went from drought conditions about 5 weeks ago to getting a couple of big rains that did a lot of good and messed some stuff up at the same time. Then Debbie last week with much of the area getting from 15 to 27 inches of rain with severe flash flooding. In my garden the corn just finished off with big stalks but small ears. Everything else quit but the okra. :)
Flswampwalker

Post by Flswampwalker »

at my house we have 24" of rain from Debbie and now my hunting land is under water from the Suwannee River and still raising.
Equinox
Axiom
Gold Tip IV
100 gr. Spitfires
FFF string
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

My property is below the water line , and diked , water from up stream passes by my farm . A 5 inch rain caused me a lot of grief last fall . 24 inches , here :shock: I would be up to my elbows in water if I stood on the roof of my storey and a half house :!:
rayman

Post by rayman »

Flswampwalker wrote:now my hunting land is under water from the Suwannee River and still raising
Lots of guys had to run out and get their trail cameras and feeders. A bunch probably still went under water. Most of the water seems to be going down but my goodness the mosquitoes are getting bad. :)
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

It has been a rough time for us - no rain and near misses ; lake efect and downright drought !

Hope to see more rain soon !

We gave up on the lawn and made sure the trees were watered regularly.

We have a lake to pump out of ; Lake St. Clair; but most farmers with irrigation setups were lucky.

Thinking back to when these same conditions existed was 1988 - a downright dry time . Too much rain is as bad as none !

Hope all is well farmer - and we can see some money crops soon !

oneshot... Bryan..........
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

OneShot wrote: We have a lake to pump out of ; Lake St. Clair; but most farmers with irrigation setups were lucky.

Thinking back to when these same conditions existed was 1988 - a downright dry time . Too much rain is as bad as none !

Hope all is well farmer - and we can see some money crops soon!
oneshot... Bryan..........
Growing up on a farm, I remember a number of years where dad and I had to irrigate crops. The farm we bought came with an irrigation system so this was not anything new.

Back in the 80s we also hard some serious winters and snowfall.
Climate change is here to stay and it is real and it is nothing new. It's only new to us.

I don't farm any more but I still feel for the farming community and wish all well.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"