O T Blk Jack Oak

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ont_Excal

Re: O T Blk Jack Oak

Post by Ont_Excal »

rayman wrote:Not to sound like a smart arse, a number of oak trees species are commonly referred to as blackjack oak including turkey oak, bluejack oak, post oak, southern red oak, true blackjack oak, and a hand full of others. We had a lot of turkey oaks in my yard growing up, which everybody called blackjack, and nearly every one of them that I ever cut down had heart rot. Made darn good firewood though. :)
The turkey oak gets it's common name because of the shape of the leaf as it looks like a turkey foot.

Common names rarely refer to a specific tree species.

Blackjack oak.........................Quercus marilandica
Post oak.................................Quercus stellata
Turkey Oak............................Quercus cerris

All oaks make very good firewood and others like beech and hickory also make good firewood.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

The leaves are shaped like a bell, my red oak have points on sides & end. My whites have rounded lobes. The blkjack oak shown have much diff bark when mature than the other oaks on my place. More blk jack n post oaks on my place the red or white oaks & more hickorys than any other bitternut type
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
rayman

Post by rayman »

Feel kind of bad about turning your thread into a Dendro workshop there vixenmaster.

My Stihl was never bad about going through bars and chains, in fact it was easy on them. Started having a lot of carburetor trouble though. Darn ethenal gas. :)
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

This small saw is over matched, my Mrs. nephew picked it out while i got other things needed. I paid fer it all & when we got to place he proceeded to prepare fer sawin down trees. Weren't long in he came to camp & said the saw was in a bind. I got my poulan 3400 & went to his tree & finished cuttin it down. Then i looked at what i had paid fer. Dang he had gotten a small limb saw not a tree cuttin saw.
Half Bubble Off BD360

Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

This tree bare acorns or gum balls? a lot of wood there.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

In my 63 years, I had never heard of Black Oak until I moved to Tennessee. My back area has about 300 trees, mostly Red Oak, White Oak, Hickory, and Maple. The largest are Black Oak and all have carpenter ants in or around them. About 5 years ago, we had one about 24" across blow down in a wind storm. The tree looked perfectly healthy but when it fell, there was only one place that was alive and that was about the size of a football. The entire center was gone or mush from the carpenter ants. I try to spray as soon as I see them but once they get in, they are in.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Sopchoppy
I try to spray as soon as I see them but once they get in, they are in.
In a woods setting almost impossible to keep them out.
They can move from tree to tree up in the canopy.
Even aerial spraying would not be effective and do more harm than good.

vixenmaster
Dang he had gotten a small limb saw not a tree cuttin saw.
You are very likely right about the saw. Felling trees requires enough power to do the job safely.

rayman
Feel kind of bad about turning your thread into a Dendro workshop there vixenmaster. Started having a lot of carburetor trouble though. Darn ethanol gas.
I don't think he minds, or at least has not said so. This how we learn in our community on here.
As far as ethanol gas, try to stay away from E85. Not very good for 2-stroke engines. You want to eliminate phase separation. A good stabilizer should be used at all times. I like the Startron brand.

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:This tree bare acorns or gum balls? a lot of wood there.

Wes
:lol: Heck i am originally from Ms. so i knowed Tupa gum & no good fer nutten sweet gum wid its star lookin balls that ruin lawn mower blades quick fast & in a hurry. It bears acorns while not actually blk a deep hued puple/blk in color. The blk jack's are nice lookin oaks & mature trees acorns are marble sized.
Half Bubble Off BD360

Limbs and Sticks

vixenmaster wrote:
Limbs and Sticks wrote:This tree bare acorns or gum balls? a lot of wood there.

Wes
:lol: Heck i am originally from Ms. so i knowed Tupa gum & no good fer nutten sweet gum wid its star lookin balls that ruin lawn mower blades quick fast & in a hurry. It bears acorns while not actually blk a deep hued puple/blk in color. The blk jack's are nice lookin oaks & mature trees acorns are marble sized.

Had to ask, there's one here that's called a gum oak bark looks the same as your tree, ain't worth a damn for burning, the wood gets punky quick, now I know :lol:

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

My Pa always called the black gum trees Tupa but they are Tupelo gum founds in the swamps n bayou's. These blk jack burn hot, i have picked up limbs 4 or 5 yrs old & cut into them see red fresh wood. They ain't to bad cuttin up while fresh cut but let a yr or 2 & they be real hard on chainsaws
Half Bubble Off BD360

Limbs and Sticks

vixenmaster wrote:My Pa always called the black gum trees Tupa but they are Tupelo gum founds in the swamps n bayou's. These blk jack burn hot, i have picked up limbs 4 or 5 yrs old & cut into them see red fresh wood. They ain't to bad cuttin up while fresh cut but let a yr or 2 & they be real hard on chainsaws

Sounds something Like a locust tree, I've seen chain saws refuse to start because it knew it was going to gnaw on a locust :lol:
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Limbs and Sticks wrote: Sounds something Like a locust tree, I've seen chain saws refuse to start because it knew it was going to gnaw on a locust :lol:
Now that's funny. :lol: :lol: :lol:

To know if you are using enough lube oil, rev the saw and you should see a spray of oil off the end of the chain.
Also helps to have a sprocket tip so you can grease often.